BE 8.5 Remote agent gives error - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 8.5 Remote agent gives error - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi all, I have a Windows 2000 Server along with 2 other 2000 servers that I want to backup using the remote agent that came with my advanced server version of BE. The problem is: Everytime the backup job runs ...

  1. BE 8.5 Remote agent gives error

    Hi all,

    I have a Windows 2000 Server along with 2 other 2000
    servers that I want to backup using the remote agent
    that came with my advanced server version of BE.
    The problem is: Everytime the backup job runs for either
    of the remote servvers, it gives an error message:

    "Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    WARNING: Backup servers cannot completely protect remote
    Windows 2000 servers or workstations unless the Backup
    Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is installed
    and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or
    workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
    Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is not running
    while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers."

    I have removed and reinstalled the remote agent on the remote server
    several times. Also, got newest build of BE and 2 applicable hotfixes that
    I found. The veritas kb article says that this error is caused by a name
    resolution
    problem. I setup the lmhosts file as it recomends, but it still does not
    work.
    I can successfully telnet to the remote agent port number. Putting the
    remote
    agent into debug mode gives the following:

    " 64c 5/25/2001 15:33:04: Running... 'Q' to stop
    894 5/25/2001 15:40:58: Client thread starting
    894 5/25/2001 15:41:08: Client thread terminating"

    (The short time span is because I aborted the job as soon as the backup
    log showed the error.)

    Anyone have any more ideas to try?
    Please email directly to me any ideas.

    Thanks

    Jerry Keener
    TCW Computer Systems, Inc.
    jkeener@tcwcomputers.com

  2. Re: BE 8.5 Remote agent gives error

    uninstall remote agents. ensure the serial numbers are present on the BE
    server browse the CD on the remote server utilitise/NTAA/Setupaa.cmd double
    click a command window will appear and disapear the agent should now be
    installed.

    -Louise
    "Jerry" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a Windows 2000 Server along with 2 other 2000
    > servers that I want to backup using the remote agent
    > that came with my advanced server version of BE.
    > The problem is: Everytime the backup job runs for either
    > of the remote servvers, it gives an error message:
    >
    > "Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    > WARNING: Backup servers cannot completely protect remote
    > Windows 2000 servers or workstations unless the Backup
    > Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is installed
    > and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or
    > workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
    > Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is not running
    > while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers."
    >
    > I have removed and reinstalled the remote agent on the remote server
    > several times. Also, got newest build of BE and 2 applicable hotfixes

    that
    > I found. The veritas kb article says that this error is caused by a name
    > resolution
    > problem. I setup the lmhosts file as it recomends, but it still does not
    > work.
    > I can successfully telnet to the remote agent port number. Putting the
    > remote
    > agent into debug mode gives the following:
    >
    > " 64c 5/25/2001 15:33:04: Running... 'Q' to stop
    > 894 5/25/2001 15:40:58: Client thread starting
    > 894 5/25/2001 15:41:08: Client thread terminating"
    >
    > (The short time span is because I aborted the job as soon as the backup
    > log showed the error.)
    >
    > Anyone have any more ideas to try?
    > Please email directly to me any ideas.
    >
    > Thanks