Unrecognized Media - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unrecognized Media - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have BackupExec 8.5 Rev 3572. Running Win2000 Sp2. I contune to get "Unrecognized Media " error about 50% of the time. I have formated the Hard Drive and started over with 8.5 rev 3572 Clean install and still get ...

  1. Unrecognized Media

    I have BackupExec 8.5 Rev 3572. Running Win2000 Sp2. I contune to get
    "Unrecognized Media " error about 50% of the time. I have formated the Hard
    Drive and started over with 8.5 rev 3572 Clean install and still get this
    error. The tape Drive is Exabyte EZ17. I have slowed down the SCSI card
    from 80mbs to 40 mbs, thinking I may have a over speed error but no luck.
    Tim

  2. Re: Unrecognized Media

    What types of backups are on this media? Is this MSSQL transaction logs?
    Unfortunately, my experience with this error is that once this happens, the
    media cannot be fixed without erasing it. Also, did you see this before W2K
    SP2?

    Thanks, Alex

    "Tim Harrell" wrote in message news:3b137f2c$1@hronntp01....
    > I have BackupExec 8.5 Rev 3572. Running Win2000 Sp2. I contune to get
    > "Unrecognized Media " error about 50% of the time. I have formated the

    Hard
    > Drive and started over with 8.5 rev 3572 Clean install and still get this
    > error. The tape Drive is Exabyte EZ17. I have slowed down the SCSI card
    > from 80mbs to 40 mbs, thinking I may have a over speed error but no luck.
    > Tim

  3. Re: Unrecognized Media

    This Error did happen when I had Windows NT 4.0 SP 5 & 6 Also with Win2000
    SP1. I mainly backup over the network with all agents installed on the
    clients. Lotus Notes is the only program I have to backup wile in use. I do
    have the Client for Lotus Notes. Also I have the Open File & Backup Agent. I
    thought it was my NEW Exabyte EZ17 with Mammouth2 drive and had Exabyte
    replace it but this did not help. I also had Exabyte replace ALL of my tapes
    and this did not help any eather.

    Tim

    "Alex Moore" wrote in message
    > What types of backups are on this media? Is this MSSQL transaction logs?
    > Unfortunately, my experience with this error is that once this happens,

    the
    > media cannot be fixed without erasing it. Also, did you see this before

    W2K
    > SP2?
    >
    > Thanks, Alex
    >
    > "Tim Harrell" wrote in message news:3b137f2c$1@hronntp01....
    > > I have BackupExec 8.5 Rev 3572. Running Win2000 Sp2. I contune to get
    > > "Unrecognized Media " error about 50% of the time. I have formated the

    > Hard
    > > Drive and started over with 8.5 rev 3572 Clean install and still get

    this
    > > error. The tape Drive is Exabyte EZ17. I have slowed down the SCSI card
    > > from 80mbs to 40 mbs, thinking I may have a over speed error but no

    luck.
    > > Tim

  4. Re: Unrecognized Media

    There is a hotfix available for the 'unrecognized media' problem.

    Regards

    Rob Ellis
    IBM Global Services

    "Tim Harrell" wrote:
    >This Error did happen when I had Windows NT 4.0 SP 5 & 6 Also with Win2000
    >SP1. I mainly backup over the network with all agents installed on the
    >clients. Lotus Notes is the only program I have to backup wile in use. I

    do
    >have the Client for Lotus Notes. Also I have the Open File & Backup Agent.

    >thought it was my NEW Exabyte EZ17 with Mammouth2 drive and had Exabyte
    >replace it but this did not help. I also had Exabyte replace ALL of my tapes
    >and this did not help any eather.
    >
    >Tim
    >

    >"Alex Moore" wrote in message
    >> What types of backups are on this media? Is this MSSQL transaction logs?
    >> Unfortunately, my experience with this error is that once this happens,

    >the
    >> media cannot be fixed without erasing it. Also, did you see this before

    >W2K
    >> SP2?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Alex
    >>
    >> "Tim Harrell" wrote in message news:3b137f2c$1@hronntp01....
    >> > I have BackupExec 8.5 Rev 3572. Running Win2000 Sp2. I contune to get
    >> > "Unrecognized Media " error about 50% of the time. I have formated the

    >> Hard
    >> > Drive and started over with 8.5 rev 3572 Clean install and still get

    >this
    >> > error. The tape Drive is Exabyte EZ17. I have slowed down the SCSI

    card
    >> > from 80mbs to 40 mbs, thinking I may have a over speed error but no

    >luck.
    >> > Tim

+ Reply to Thread