software compression - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on software compression - Veritas Backup Exec ; Ok, software compression is finally working. I don't know why it didn't work before but it does now. So I went to check the backup today and it was still going. It had been going for over 11 hours and ...

  1. software compression

    Ok, software compression is finally working. I don't know why it didn't work
    before but it does now. So I went to check the backup today and it was still
    going. It had been going for over 11 hours and it should have been done in
    about 4 or 5. The tape was ejected and back up exec was asking for another
    tape. I aborted the job. The log file said it had a compression ratio of
    1.1:1. We're using 20/40 GB tapes. It has 23,921,262,020 bytes on the tape
    so that sounds about right with a compression ratio of 1.1:1. It didn't compress
    enough to fit on one tape but I thought it would have all fit on one tape.
    I'm trying to back up about 25GB on the tape, but not even all that is selected
    to be backed up so I know it's under 25GB. Types of things that are being
    backed up are OS files, win2k profiles, oracle stuff, software setup files,
    Webs, etc. I thought it would all fit compressed on one tape but I guess
    not. I guess I will have to do some spring cleaning on the drive. Any tips
    for me? I really want to use one tape because if it was a two volume backup
    for only around 25GB that would be a waste of almost a whole tape. Thanks
    all.

  2. Re: software compression

    Hate to mention the obvious, but can you use this to justify a 35/70?

    You can keep the old drive online, and assuming a fairly hefty server, run jobs to
    both devices at the same time.

    Clint Stotesbery wrote:

    > Ok, software compression is finally working. I don't know why it didn't work
    > before but it does now. So I went to check the backup today and it was still
    > going. It had been going for over 11 hours and it should have been done in
    > about 4 or 5. The tape was ejected and back up exec was asking for another
    > tape. I aborted the job. The log file said it had a compression ratio of
    > 1.1:1. We're using 20/40 GB tapes. It has 23,921,262,020 bytes on the tape
    > so that sounds about right with a compression ratio of 1.1:1. It didn't compress
    > enough to fit on one tape but I thought it would have all fit on one tape.
    > I'm trying to back up about 25GB on the tape, but not even all that is selected
    > to be backed up so I know it's under 25GB. Types of things that are being
    > backed up are OS files, win2k profiles, oracle stuff, software setup files,
    > Webs, etc. I thought it would all fit compressed on one tape but I guess
    > not. I guess I will have to do some spring cleaning on the drive. Any tips
    > for me? I really want to use one tape because if it was a two volume backup
    > for only around 25GB that would be a waste of almost a whole tape. Thanks
    > all.

  3. Re: software compression

    I thought 20/40 was the biggest size you can use for DDS4.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Hate to mention the obvious, but can you use this to justify a 35/70?
    >
    >You can keep the old drive online, and assuming a fairly hefty server, run

    jobs to
    >both devices at the same time.
    >
    >Clint Stotesbery wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, software compression is finally working. I don't know why it didn't

    work
    >> before but it does now. So I went to check the backup today and it was

    still
    >> going. It had been going for over 11 hours and it should have been done

    in
    >> about 4 or 5. The tape was ejected and back up exec was asking for another
    >> tape. I aborted the job. The log file said it had a compression ratio

    of
    >> 1.1:1. We're using 20/40 GB tapes. It has 23,921,262,020 bytes on the

    tape
    >> so that sounds about right with a compression ratio of 1.1:1. It didn't

    compress
    >> enough to fit on one tape but I thought it would have all fit on one tape.
    >> I'm trying to back up about 25GB on the tape, but not even all that is

    selected
    >> to be backed up so I know it's under 25GB. Types of things that are being
    >> backed up are OS files, win2k profiles, oracle stuff, software setup files,
    >> Webs, etc. I thought it would all fit compressed on one tape but I guess
    >> not. I guess I will have to do some spring cleaning on the drive. Any

    tips
    >> for me? I really want to use one tape because if it was a two volume backup
    >> for only around 25GB that would be a waste of almost a whole tape. Thanks
    >> all.

  4. Re: software compression

    Sorry, I assumed DLT rather than DAT. (I know, I know )

    But the argument still goes, use this to justify a 2nd drive, then divide the
    job(s) up and run two concurrently to both drives.

    Clint Stotesbery wrote:

    > I thought 20/40 was the biggest size you can use for DDS4.
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >Hate to mention the obvious, but can you use this to justify a 35/70?
    > >
    > >You can keep the old drive online, and assuming a fairly hefty server, run

    > jobs to
    > >both devices at the same time.
    > >
    > >Clint Stotesbery wrote:
    > >
    > >> Ok, software compression is finally working. I don't know why it didn't

    > work
    > >> before but it does now. So I went to check the backup today and it was

    > still
    > >> going. It had been going for over 11 hours and it should have been done

    > in
    > >> about 4 or 5. The tape was ejected and back up exec was asking for another
    > >> tape. I aborted the job. The log file said it had a compression ratio

    > of
    > >> 1.1:1. We're using 20/40 GB tapes. It has 23,921,262,020 bytes on the

    > tape
    > >> so that sounds about right with a compression ratio of 1.1:1. It didn't

    > compress
    > >> enough to fit on one tape but I thought it would have all fit on one tape.
    > >> I'm trying to back up about 25GB on the tape, but not even all that is

    > selected
    > >> to be backed up so I know it's under 25GB. Types of things that are being
    > >> backed up are OS files, win2k profiles, oracle stuff, software setup files,
    > >> Webs, etc. I thought it would all fit compressed on one tape but I guess
    > >> not. I guess I will have to do some spring cleaning on the drive. Any

    > tips
    > >> for me? I really want to use one tape because if it was a two volume backup
    > >> for only around 25GB that would be a waste of almost a whole tape. Thanks
    > >> all.

+ Reply to Thread