Mailbox Backup fail with Warning.. corrupt file - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Mailbox Backup fail with Warning.. corrupt file - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm using Exchange 5.5 w/SP4 on Windows 2000 server, my Backup Exec Version is 8.50 Rev 3752 w/ Exchange module. I'm receiving this warning message in log file and my backup fail daily. WARNING: "Administrator [Administrator]?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Notification: Inbound ...

  1. Mailbox Backup fail with Warning.. corrupt file

    I'm using Exchange 5.5 w/SP4 on Windows 2000 server, my
    Backup Exec Version is 8.50 Rev 3752 w/ Exchange module.
    I'm receiving this warning message in log file and my backup
    fail daily.

    WARNING: "Administrator [Administrator]?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Notification:
    Inbound Mail Failure " is a corrupt file.
    This file cannot verify.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    I hope someone can help me.

    Irfan

  2. Re: Mailbox Backup fail with Warning.. corrupt file

    I had the same problem. Just find whose mailbox has the corrupt email message
    and have them delete it. Make sure they remove it from the deleted items
    folder afterwords as well.

    "Irfan" wrote:

    >I'm using Exchange 5.5 w/SP4 on Windows 2000 server, my
    >Backup Exec Version is 8.50 Rev 3752 w/ Exchange module.
    >I'm receiving this warning message in log file and my backup
    >fail daily.
    >
    >WARNING: "Administrator [Administrator]?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Notification:
    >Inbound Mail Failure " is a corrupt file.
    >This file cannot verify.
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    >I hope someone can help me.
    >
    >Irfan

  3. Re: Mailbox Backup fail with Warning.. corrupt file

    One of the gotchas of using the Veritas Mailbox backup. it is quite possible that NONE
    of the flagged files are actually corrupt. If you set up your Exchange Server properly
    you don't really need to backup individual mailboxes.

    see http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm for a discussion of the evils of mailbox
    backups as well as some good Exchange Resource Links

    Irfan wrote:

    > I'm using Exchange 5.5 w/SP4 on Windows 2000 server, my
    > Backup Exec Version is 8.50 Rev 3752 w/ Exchange module.
    > I'm receiving this warning message in log file and my backup
    > fail daily.
    >
    > WARNING: "Administrator [Administrator]?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Notification:
    > Inbound Mail Failure " is a corrupt file.
    > This file cannot verify.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    > I hope someone can help me.
    >
    > Irfan

  4. Re: Mailbox Backup fail with Warning.. corrupt file

    joel harris wrote:

    > I had the same problem. Just find whose mailbox has the corrupt email message
    > and have them delete it. Make sure they remove it from the deleted items
    > folder afterwords as well.
    >
    > "Irfan" wrote:
    > >
    > >I'm using Exchange 5.5 w/SP4 on Windows 2000 server, my
    > >Backup Exec Version is 8.50 Rev 3752 w/ Exchange module.
    > >I'm receiving this warning message in log file and my backup
    > >fail daily.
    > >
    > >WARNING: "Administrator [Administrator]?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Notification:
    > >Inbound Mail Failure " is a corrupt file.
    > >This file cannot verify.
    > >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > >
    > >I hope someone can help me.
    > >
    > >Irfan

  5. Re: Mailbox Backup fail with Warning.. corrupt file

    What I was told in a tech support call to Veritas is that the files are NOT
    likely corrupt. What generally occurs, according to this tech, is that the
    email was sent using something like Eudora that does not have a compatible
    attachment system. All the individual mailbox files likely have an
    attachment.

    What we decided was that a) we would have to live with those errors, since
    we knew what they were, or b) stop individual mailbox backup. We went with
    b.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > One of the gotchas of using the Veritas Mailbox backup. it is quite

    possible that NONE
    > of the flagged files are actually corrupt. If you set up your Exchange

    Server properly
    > you don't really need to backup individual mailboxes.
    >
    > see http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm for a discussion of the evils

    of mailbox
    > backups as well as some good Exchange Resource Links
    >
    > Irfan wrote:
    >
    > > I'm using Exchange 5.5 w/SP4 on Windows 2000 server, my
    > > Backup Exec Version is 8.50 Rev 3752 w/ Exchange module.
    > > I'm receiving this warning message in log file and my backup
    > > fail daily.
    > >
    > > WARNING: "Administrator [Administrator]?Top of Information

    Store?Inbox?Notification:
    > > Inbound Mail Failure " is a corrupt file.
    > > This file cannot verify.
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > >
    > > I hope someone can help me.
    > >
    > > Irfan

  6. Re: Mailbox Backup fail with Warning.. corrupt file

    I'm glad that you didn't mention option c)

    Apply the brain dead registry tweak that will not set the FAILED flag for a
    corrput filre warning, since ANY corrupt warning will be ignored, not just the
    Mailbox warnings

    Tony Cimello wrote:

    > What I was told in a tech support call to Veritas is that the files are NOT
    > likely corrupt. What generally occurs, according to this tech, is that the
    > email was sent using something like Eudora that does not have a compatible
    > attachment system. All the individual mailbox files likely have an
    > attachment.
    >
    > What we decided was that a) we would have to live with those errors, since
    > we knew what they were, or b) stop individual mailbox backup. We went with
    > b.
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > One of the gotchas of using the Veritas Mailbox backup. it is quite

    > possible that NONE
    > > of the flagged files are actually corrupt. If you set up your Exchange

    > Server properly
    > > you don't really need to backup individual mailboxes.
    > >
    > > see http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm for a discussion of the evils

    > of mailbox
    > > backups as well as some good Exchange Resource Links
    > >
    > > Irfan wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm using Exchange 5.5 w/SP4 on Windows 2000 server, my
    > > > Backup Exec Version is 8.50 Rev 3752 w/ Exchange module.
    > > > I'm receiving this warning message in log file and my backup
    > > > fail daily.
    > > >
    > > > WARNING: "Administrator [Administrator]?Top of Information

    > Store?Inbox?Notification:
    > > > Inbound Mail Failure " is a corrupt file.
    > > > This file cannot verify.
    > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > >
    > > > I hope someone can help me.
    > > >
    > > > Irfan

  7. Re: Mailbox Backup fail with Warning.. corrupt file

    Oh yeah... and c) Apply the brain dead registry tweak that will not set a
    FAILED flag for ANY corrupt file warning!!!

    Go with B - it makes the most since. Just tell your users they are
    responsible for their own individual messages. If they delete something it
    is gone.

+ Reply to Thread