Backup not fitting on a single 35/70 Gb tape - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup not fitting on a single 35/70 Gb tape - Veritas Backup Exec ; We are using Veritas 8.5 with the Exchange Agent and SQL Server agent to backup our Win2k Server. From the Active Jobs console, it reports that it is backing up about 27Gb of data. However, it requires more than 1 ...

  1. Backup not fitting on a single 35/70 Gb tape

    We are using Veritas 8.5 with the Exchange Agent and SQL Server agent to backup
    our Win2k Server. From the Active Jobs console, it reports that it is backing
    up about 27Gb of data. However, it requires more than 1 35/70Gb STAE70 tape.
    Why can it not fit this data onto one tape? Is it actually backing up more
    bytes than is being reported?

    We were backing up just about the same amount of data on our WinNT Server
    with the earlier version of Veritas and it easily put 27Gb of data on one
    of these tapes.

    What's the problem?

  2. Re: Backup not fitting on a single 35/70 Gb tape

    Verify that the backups are overwrite, not append.

    You should get a minimum of 35 GB with no compression. With compression it varies,
    but I generally guestimate a 1.3:1 compression ratio which would give you about
    45-50 GB per tape.

    (Depending on our data, the compression may be better)

    mtully wrote:

    > We are using Veritas 8.5 with the Exchange Agent and SQL Server agent to backup
    > our Win2k Server. From the Active Jobs console, it reports that it is backing
    > up about 27Gb of data. However, it requires more than 1 35/70Gb STAE70 tape.
    > Why can it not fit this data onto one tape? Is it actually backing up more
    > bytes than is being reported?
    >
    > We were backing up just about the same amount of data on our WinNT Server
    > with the earlier version of Veritas and it easily put 27Gb of data on one
    > of these tapes.
    >
    > What's the problem?

+ Reply to Thread