brick-level Exchange Restore - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on brick-level Exchange Restore - Veritas Backup Exec ; BE 7.3 for MS Small Business Server. Until recently, when doing mailbox b/u, I was getting the "can't attach...Exchange mailboxes" error; that cleared up on its own, and logs of mailbox backups look good. What I don't have is Exchange ...

  1. brick-level Exchange Restore

    BE 7.3 for MS Small Business Server. Until recently, when doing mailbox
    b/u, I was getting the "can't attach...Exchange mailboxes" error; that
    cleared up on its own, and logs of mailbox backups look good. What I don't
    have is Exchange Mailboxes showing up in the Restore Selections tab. I
    cataloged the tapes that have the mailbox b/u's on them w/ no joy.

    Any ideas. I've heard that this issue has been covered b4, so maybe someone
    has a ready answer.

    Tx,
    Andy

  2. Re: brick-level Exchange Restore

    If possible, avoid the use of brick level backups. They typically are not
    needed. Instead, set the Deleted Item Retension Period on both information
    stores to x number of days. This allows items to be recovered for x days
    AFTER the Deleted Items folder has been emptied. Your backups will thank
    you.

    "Andy" <~~~nospamme~~~andyk@mmecpa.com> wrote:
    >BE 7.3 for MS Small Business Server. Until recently, when doing mailbox
    >b/u, I was getting the "can't attach...Exchange mailboxes" error; that
    >cleared up on its own, and logs of mailbox backups look good. What I don't
    >have is Exchange Mailboxes showing up in the Restore Selections tab. I
    >cataloged the tapes that have the mailbox b/u's on them w/ no joy.
    >
    >Any ideas. I've heard that this issue has been covered b4, so maybe someone
    >has a ready answer.
    >
    >Tx,
    >Andy

  3. Re: brick-level Exchange Restore

    Thanks, but that's not a very satisfying answer. I'd like to do the
    brick-level backup for redundancy and b/c I have some pretty computer
    illiterate users who frequently want me to restore a message that has been
    gone for quite some time (longer than I want to retain deleted messages on
    the server). What bothers me more is that this should work! Even if I
    decide not to use brick-level backups, I'd like to know what the problem is
    all about (just for my own education/experience).

    Andy
    "Ron Whitney" wrote in message

    > If possible, avoid the use of brick level backups. They typically are not
    > needed. Instead, set the Deleted Item Retension Period on both

    information
    > stores to x number of days. This allows items to be recovered for x days
    > AFTER the Deleted Items folder has been emptied. Your backups will thank
    > you.
    >
    > "Andy" <~~~nospamme~~~andyk@mmecpa.com> wrote:
    > >BE 7.3 for MS Small Business Server. Until recently, when doing mailbox
    > >b/u, I was getting the "can't attach...Exchange mailboxes" error; that
    > >cleared up on its own, and logs of mailbox backups look good. What I

    don't
    > >have is Exchange Mailboxes showing up in the Restore Selections tab. I
    > >cataloged the tapes that have the mailbox b/u's on them w/ no joy.
    > >
    > >Any ideas. I've heard that this issue has been covered b4, so maybe

    someone
    > >has a ready answer.
    > >
    > >Tx,
    > >Andy