BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert... - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert... - Veritas Backup Exec ; Situation: Compaq Proliant 2500 Compaq 4/8 DAT drive BE 8.5 Backup Exec runs, but does not seem to eject the tape. A message to remove the tape from the drive appears under alerts, and of course the job sits at ...

  1. BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert...

    Situation:

    Compaq Proliant 2500
    Compaq 4/8 DAT drive
    BE 8.5

    Backup Exec runs, but does not seem to eject the tape. A message to remove
    the tape from the drive appears under alerts, and of course the job sits at
    99% while waiting for the response. Ideally, we'd like it to pop the tape
    out automagically and end the job. It used to under earlier versions of BE.
    Anyone notice this, or have a possible solution?

    Thanks,

    Venger

  2. Re: BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert...

    I have the same problem.
    Would love to know the solution!!

    Steve Berlo, MCSE
    King Office Service, Inc.

    "Venger" wrote in message

    > Situation:
    >
    > Compaq Proliant 2500
    > Compaq 4/8 DAT drive
    > BE 8.5
    >
    > Backup Exec runs, but does not seem to eject the tape. A message to remove
    > the tape from the drive appears under alerts, and of course the job sits

    at
    > 99% while waiting for the response. Ideally, we'd like it to pop the tape
    > out automagically and end the job. It used to under earlier versions of

    BE.
    > Anyone notice this, or have a possible solution?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Venger

  3. Re: BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert...

    That's the way that the program is written. Remove "Eject on End" from the job
    description and eject manually when you go to swap tapes

    Venger wrote:

    > Situation:
    >
    > Compaq Proliant 2500
    > Compaq 4/8 DAT drive
    > BE 8.5
    >
    > Backup Exec runs, but does not seem to eject the tape. A message to remove
    > the tape from the drive appears under alerts, and of course the job sits at
    > 99% while waiting for the response. Ideally, we'd like it to pop the tape
    > out automagically and end the job. It used to under earlier versions of BE.
    > Anyone notice this, or have a possible solution?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Venger

  4. Re: BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert...

    That doesn't make any sense, Eject Media USED to eject the freaking media
    upon completion, not prompt me to do it. I've been suing BE for ages and
    it's supposed to eject upon completion of the job...

    MEC2

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > That's the way that the program is written. Remove "Eject on End" from

    the job
    > description and eject manually when you go to swap tapes
    >
    > Venger wrote:
    >
    > > Situation:
    > >
    > > Compaq Proliant 2500
    > > Compaq 4/8 DAT drive
    > > BE 8.5
    > >
    > > Backup Exec runs, but does not seem to eject the tape. A message to

    remove
    > > the tape from the drive appears under alerts, and of course the job sits

    at
    > > 99% while waiting for the response. Ideally, we'd like it to pop the

    tape
    > > out automagically and end the job. It used to under earlier versions of

    BE.
    > > Anyone notice this, or have a possible solution?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Venger

  5. Re: BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert...

    Yes, have similar issue with version 7 and our our DLT tape. Sits there the
    same at 99% until manually ejected. The knowledge base is useless as there
    is no mention of this alert. So unfortunately have no help I'm afraid but
    if you figure it out would appreciate a mail.

    Regards

    Lee

    "Venger" wrote:

    >Situation:
    >
    >Compaq Proliant 2500
    >Compaq 4/8 DAT drive
    >BE 8.5
    >
    >Backup Exec runs, but does not seem to eject the tape. A message to remove
    >the tape from the drive appears under alerts, and of course the job sits

    at
    >99% while waiting for the response. Ideally, we'd like it to pop the tape
    >out automagically and end the job. It used to under earlier versions of

    BE.
    >Anyone notice this, or have a possible solution?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Venger

  6. Re: BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert...

    Hasn't worked that way since v7.0 for me

    Venger wrote:

    > That doesn't make any sense, Eject Media USED to eject the freaking media
    > upon completion, not prompt me to do it. I've been suing BE for ages and
    > it's supposed to eject upon completion of the job...
    >
    > MEC2
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > That's the way that the program is written. Remove "Eject on End" from

    > the job
    > > description and eject manually when you go to swap tapes
    > >
    > > Venger wrote:
    > >
    > > > Situation:
    > > >
    > > > Compaq Proliant 2500
    > > > Compaq 4/8 DAT drive
    > > > BE 8.5
    > > >
    > > > Backup Exec runs, but does not seem to eject the tape. A message to

    > remove
    > > > the tape from the drive appears under alerts, and of course the job sits

    > at
    > > > 99% while waiting for the response. Ideally, we'd like it to pop the

    > tape
    > > > out automagically and end the job. It used to under earlier versions of

    > BE.
    > > > Anyone notice this, or have a possible solution?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Venger

  7. Re: BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert...

    see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm

    Lee wrote:

    > Yes, have similar issue with version 7 and our our DLT tape. Sits there the
    > same at 99% until manually ejected. The knowledge base is useless as there
    > is no mention of this alert. So unfortunately have no help I'm afraid but
    > if you figure it out would appreciate a mail.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Lee
    >
    > "Venger" wrote:
    > >
    > >Situation:
    > >
    > >Compaq Proliant 2500
    > >Compaq 4/8 DAT drive
    > >BE 8.5
    > >
    > >Backup Exec runs, but does not seem to eject the tape. A message to remove
    > >the tape from the drive appears under alerts, and of course the job sits

    > at
    > >99% while waiting for the response. Ideally, we'd like it to pop the tape
    > >out automagically and end the job. It used to under earlier versions of

    > BE.
    > >Anyone notice this, or have a possible solution?
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >
    > >Venger

  8. Re: BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert...

    Also see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm for some registry hacks
    that I refuse to use, but you may choose to.

    Venger wrote:

    > That doesn't make any sense, Eject Media USED to eject the freaking media
    > upon completion, not prompt me to do it. I've been suing BE for ages and
    > it's supposed to eject upon completion of the job...
    >
    > MEC2
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > That's the way that the program is written. Remove "Eject on End" from

    > the job
    > > description and eject manually when you go to swap tapes
    > >
    > > Venger wrote:
    > >
    > > > Situation:
    > > >
    > > > Compaq Proliant 2500
    > > > Compaq 4/8 DAT drive
    > > > BE 8.5
    > > >
    > > > Backup Exec runs, but does not seem to eject the tape. A message to

    > remove
    > > > the tape from the drive appears under alerts, and of course the job sits

    > at
    > > > 99% while waiting for the response. Ideally, we'd like it to pop the

    > tape
    > > > out automagically and end the job. It used to under earlier versions of

    > BE.
    > > > Anyone notice this, or have a possible solution?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Venger

  9. Re: BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert...

    I've got a dozen BE installs on NT servers around here, and this is the
    first time I've had this problem. It's nice because the client can just
    change the tape, and call me if the tape doesn't eject (indicating something
    is not running).

    This sucks. Big time.

    Venger

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Hasn't worked that way since v7.0 for me
    >
    > Venger wrote:
    >
    > > That doesn't make any sense, Eject Media USED to eject the freaking

    media
    > > upon completion, not prompt me to do it. I've been suing BE for ages and
    > > it's supposed to eject upon completion of the job...
    > >
    > > MEC2
    > >
    > > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > > That's the way that the program is written. Remove "Eject on End"

    from
    > > the job
    > > > description and eject manually when you go to swap tapes

    > > remove

    sits
    > > at

    > > tape

    of
    > > BE.

  10. Re: BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert...

    These are a last resort for me...plus I don't think it does what I need,
    force the tape to eject!

    MEC2

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Also see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm for some registry

    hacks
    > that I refuse to use, but you may choose to.
    >
    > Venger wrote:
    >
    > > That doesn't make any sense, Eject Media USED to eject the freaking

    media
    > > upon completion, not prompt me to do it. I've been suing BE for ages and
    > > it's supposed to eject upon completion of the job...
    > >
    > > MEC2
    > >
    > > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > > That's the way that the program is written. Remove "Eject on End"

    from
    > > the job
    > > > description and eject manually when you go to swap tapes

    > > remove

    sits
    > > at

    > > tape

    of
    > > BE.

  11. Re: BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert...

    "Lee" wrote in message news:3b0b82bf$1@hronntp01....

    > Yes, have similar issue with version 7 and our our DLT tape. Sits there

    the
    > same at 99% until manually ejected. The knowledge base is useless as there
    > is no mention of this alert. So unfortunately have no help I'm afraid but
    > if you figure it out would appreciate a mail.

    Now I know why it may barf on a DLT, as these are manually ejected. But the
    DAT can spit the whole tape out of the drive. Goofy. Does the eject prep the
    tape for ejection on the DLT?

    Venger

  12. Re: BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert...

    Notice that article doesn't apply to DAT drives...only Travan and DLT which
    require physical media removal...

    Venger

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm
    >
    > Lee wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, have similar issue with version 7 and our our DLT tape. Sits there

    the
    > > same at 99% until manually ejected. The knowledge base is useless as

    there
    > > is no mention of this alert. So unfortunately have no help I'm afraid

    but
    > > if you figure it out would appreciate a mail.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Lee
    > >
    > > "Venger" wrote:
    > > >
    > > >Situation:
    > > >
    > > >Compaq Proliant 2500
    > > >Compaq 4/8 DAT drive
    > > >BE 8.5
    > > >
    > > >Backup Exec runs, but does not seem to eject the tape. A message to

    remove
    > > >the tape from the drive appears under alerts, and of course the job

    sits
    > > at
    > > >99% while waiting for the response. Ideally, we'd like it to pop the

    tape
    > > >out automagically and end the job. It used to under earlier versions of

    > > BE.
    > > >Anyone notice this, or have a possible solution?
    > > >
    > > >Thanks,
    > > >
    > > >Venger

  13. Re: BE 8.5 Not ejected DAT, gives eject alert...

    If you have "eject on End" selected in the job description, the hack/tweak will
    auto-reply "OK" and the job will end as you would expect.

    I agree, they are a work around, and again, I refuse to use them. But that's
    me, not a client.

    Venger wrote:

    > These are a last resort for me...plus I don't think it does what I need,
    > force the tape to eject!
    >
    > MEC2
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > Also see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm for some registry

    > hacks
    > > that I refuse to use, but you may choose to.
    > >
    > > Venger wrote:
    > >
    > > > That doesn't make any sense, Eject Media USED to eject the freaking

    > media
    > > > upon completion, not prompt me to do it. I've been suing BE for ages and
    > > > it's supposed to eject upon completion of the job...
    > > >
    > > > MEC2
    > > >
    > > > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > from
    > > > the job