Use hard drive as tape drive? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Use hard drive as tape drive? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Is it possible to use Veritas backup exec v.8 with out a Tape drive? I want to backup my sql server data base with "online backup" to my hard drive. Is this possible? Thank you so much for your help ...

  1. Use hard drive as tape drive?

    Is it possible to use Veritas backup exec v.8 with out a Tape drive? I want
    to backup my sql server data base with "online backup" to my hard drive.
    Is this possible?

    Thank you so much for your help
    Dennis.

  2. Re: Use hard drive as tape drive?

    From my short experience, no. Why wouldn't you just schedule a dump of the
    database to disk instead (from SQL admin)?? Keeping everything on BE would
    be nice, but this way you don't have to pay for the SQL option license, plus
    you're getting rid of a middle man in the backup/restore process (BE).

    "Dennis" wrote in message

    > Is it possible to use Veritas backup exec v.8 with out a Tape drive? I

    want
    > to backup my sql server data base with "online backup" to my hard drive.
    > Is this possible?
    >
    > Thank you so much for your help
    > Dennis.

  3. Re: Use hard drive as tape drive?

    Oh yeah, also look a few posts down concerning win2k's integrated Backup
    utility. I still recommend using the SQL admin utility to dump, however.

    "tony brown" wrote in message
    > From my short experience, no. Why wouldn't you just schedule a dump of

    the
    > database to disk instead (from SQL admin)?? Keeping everything on BE

    would
    > be nice, but this way you don't have to pay for the SQL option license,

    plus
    > you're getting rid of a middle man in the backup/restore process (BE).
    >
    > "Dennis" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Is it possible to use Veritas backup exec v.8 with out a Tape drive? I

    > want
    > > to backup my sql server data base with "online backup" to my hard drive.
    > > Is this possible?
    > >
    > > Thank you so much for your help
    > > Dennis.

+ Reply to Thread