Append/Overwrite Question - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Append/Overwrite Question - Veritas Backup Exec ; I want tha backup job to append to media from a pool of tapes of 4 weeks, one for each day. I want it to compare what is on the tape with the stuff on the disk, and then add ...

  1. Append/Overwrite Question

    I want tha backup job to append to media from a pool of tapes of 4 weeks,
    one for each day. I want it to compare what is on the tape with the stuff
    on the disk, and then add changed or new files to the tape.
    Does it overwrite any data on the tapes, and then add the changed files,
    or does it add them directly onto the end of the tape?
    Does it compare what is already on the tape to what it is backing up, or
    just with what was backed up by the last full backup?

  2. Re: Append/Overwrite Question

    What you are asking for is not possible.
    Basically there are six types of backups:
    (1) Normal backup - the selected files (unmarks the archive bit)
    (2) Incremental backup - those files that have changed since the last Normal
    or Incremental backup (finds only those files with an archive bit marked and
    it unmarks the ones backed up)
    (3) Differential backup - those files that have changes since the last
    Normal backup only (no change to the archive bit is made)
    (4) Copy backup - those files selected only (no change to the archive bit is
    made)
    (5) Daily backup - Only those file created or change today (no change to the
    archive bit is made)
    (6) Working set backup - Like an Incremental with the addition of all files
    accessed with the last x days (you specify) (no change to the archive bit is
    made)
    In addition, the overwrite/append protection period set in the Media set
    properties needs to be set to expire the data before the tape is to be used
    again for a Normal backup.
    Using the Media Rotation Wizard may of use to you also.

    "Eoin Kennedy" wrote in message

    > I want tha backup job to append to media from a pool of tapes of 4 weeks,
    > one for each day. I want it to compare what is on the tape with the stuff
    > on the disk, and then add changed or new files to the tape.
    > Does it overwrite any data on the tapes, and then add the changed files,
    > or does it add them directly onto the end of the tape?
    > Does it compare what is already on the tape to what it is backing up, or
    > just with what was backed up by the last full backup?

+ Reply to Thread