Backup Exec Could not attach to this Exchange server - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec Could not attach to this Exchange server - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am trying to select individual mailboxes to be backed up and when I try to attach to the Exchange 2000 server on which they are located, it gives me the error above. I have upgraded to v8.5 build 3572, ...

  1. Backup Exec Could not attach to this Exchange server

    I am trying to select individual mailboxes to be backed up and when I try
    to attach to the Exchange 2000 server on which they are located, it gives
    me the error above. I have upgraded to v8.5 build 3572, but still no luck.
    I am running this option on Exchange 5.5 sp3 with no problems.

    Also - I hear a lot of people saying that this is not the correct way to
    backup the mail server. If you are not supposed to backup individual mailboxes,
    how are you supposed to do it? And how do you go about restoring individual
    mail messages/mailboxes if you are not backing them up indivdualy? If you
    can just point me to some decent documentation, I would be very grateful...

    -Andy

  2. Re: Backup Exec Could not attach to this Exchange server

    See http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm for a discussion of why individual
    mailbox backups are not recommended. This page also contains several good
    support/resource links. The only MS supported way to backup Exchange online is to
    grab the IS and DS (for v5.5) and the IS and AD for Exchange 2000.

    To restore an individual mailbox or message should it become necessary, you restore
    to a standby server and export/import the info. See the backup/restore link on that
    page

    Andy Shier wrote:

    > I am trying to select individual mailboxes to be backed up and when I try
    > to attach to the Exchange 2000 server on which they are located, it gives
    > me the error above. I have upgraded to v8.5 build 3572, but still no luck.
    > I am running this option on Exchange 5.5 sp3 with no problems.
    >
    > Also - I hear a lot of people saying that this is not the correct way to
    > backup the mail server. If you are not supposed to backup individual mailboxes,
    > how are you supposed to do it? And how do you go about restoring individual
    > mail messages/mailboxes if you are not backing them up indivdualy? If you
    > can just point me to some decent documentation, I would be very grateful...
    >
    > -Andy

+ Reply to Thread