Exchange 2000 BU Advise? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Exchange 2000 BU Advise? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am deploying EXCH2000 tonight, and I was wondering if anyone has a good backup of E2K using Veritas BUExec 8.5. IE, what are you backing up? Do you do a full backup of the information store every night? What ...

  1. Exchange 2000 BU Advise?

    I am deploying EXCH2000 tonight, and I was wondering if anyone has a good
    backup of E2K using Veritas BUExec 8.5.
    IE, what are you backing up? Do you do a full backup of the information
    store every night? What about the actual mail server itself, aside from the
    IS? My goal is to have a disaster recovery plan where I can do a one button
    restore without having to keep a stack of tapes on hand. I have painful
    memories of going through disaster recovery on 5.5. Tales from the trenches
    appreciated.

    Tom Colson
    tpcolson@nospam.nexussoft.com

  2. Re: Exchange 2000 BU Advise?

    Backup all Info stores for Exchange every night if possible. You do not
    have to backup the \exchsrvr directory at all, but if you do, remember NOT
    to backup the *.edb files in this directory. Remember, Exchange server 2000
    uses transaction logs... Also, I would only do individual mailbox backups
    for mailboxes that are really important (like executive staff and such) if
    you decide to do them at all. See http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    for more info on brick-level backups. I would also backup the system state
    if bringing the system to exactly where it was before (win2k-wise) is a
    goal.

    See http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q258/2/43.ASP for MS's
    take on how to backup and restore an exchange server. I never had to do a
    full recover of a exchange server yet, but have been successfull doing a
    single info store restore using these instructions.

    "news1.alterdial.uu.net" wrote in message
    > I am deploying EXCH2000 tonight, and I was wondering if anyone has a good
    > backup of E2K using Veritas BUExec 8.5.
    > IE, what are you backing up? Do you do a full backup of the information
    > store every night? What about the actual mail server itself, aside from

    the
    > IS? My goal is to have a disaster recovery plan where I can do a one

    button
    > restore without having to keep a stack of tapes on hand. I have painful
    > memories of going through disaster recovery on 5.5. Tales from the

    trenches
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Tom Colson
    > tpcolson@nospam.nexussoft.com