Extract/restore files or total backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Extract/restore files or total backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello.. The question is as follows: I've been asked by my boss to take a backup-tape from our subsidiary and put it it in our system. I have not much experience from back-ups but this sounds almost impossible. I understand ...

  1. Extract/restore files or total backup

    Hello..
    The question is as follows: I've been asked by my boss to take a backup-tape
    from our subsidiary and put it it in our system. I have not much experience
    from back-ups but this sounds almost impossible. I understand that you cannot
    extract single files from a backup, is that right? We use the SBS 7.3 version
    of BackUp Exec. Any help would be very appreciated!

  2. Re: Extract/restore files or total backup

    Restoring 1 file is no problem. A backup solution that didn't allow for this
    wouldn't be worth buying.

    To restore from a "foreign" tape. Insert the tape, inventory, then catalog, the
    browse to the desired data in the Restore Selections pane, then choose re-direct
    and select the location on your network that you want the data restored to.

    Andreas S wrote:

    > Hello..
    > The question is as follows: I've been asked by my boss to take a backup-tape
    > from our subsidiary and put it it in our system. I have not much experience
    > from back-ups but this sounds almost impossible. I understand that you cannot
    > extract single files from a backup, is that right? We use the SBS 7.3 version
    > of BackUp Exec. Any help would be very appreciated!

+ Reply to Thread