New Tapes Not working - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on New Tapes Not working - Veritas Backup Exec ; Would appreciate some help have emailed Veritas tech support 2 times for same problem but have yet to get a response. I recently bought some new backup tapes to add to my media rotation. When I try to use these ...

  1. New Tapes Not working

    Would appreciate some help have emailed Veritas tech support 2 times for same
    problem but have yet to get a response.
    I recently bought some new backup tapes to add to my media rotation. When
    I try to use these new tapes though the backup fails with a data error cyclic
    redundancy error. Thinking that the new tapes need to be formatted(or reformatted)
    I have tried to go to the tape format option and am unable to select the
    format option. I have tried to get the format option to work every way I
    can think of to no avail.

    I am very frustrated at not being able to use these new tapes with any hope
    for reliability. Any one with suggestions or solutions please email. I greatly
    appreciate your assistance.

  2. Re: New Tapes Not working

    need more info:tape machine model, old and new tapes, when in the backup does
    this fail(does it get half the data on tape first). my first guess i would
    really suspect the tapes being different in some way. is this possible? i
    dont have to format my hp surestore tapes ever. i also gave veritas exclusive
    control of this device on installation.
    "Mike Brinkman" wrote:

    >Would appreciate some help have emailed Veritas tech support 2 times for

    same
    >problem but have yet to get a response.
    >I recently bought some new backup tapes to add to my media rotation. When
    >I try to use these new tapes though the backup fails with a data error cyclic
    >redundancy error. Thinking that the new tapes need to be formatted(or reformatted)
    >I have tried to go to the tape format option and am unable to select the
    >format option. I have tried to get the format option to work every way I
    >can think of to no avail.
    >
    >I am very frustrated at not being able to use these new tapes with any hope
    >for reliability. Any one with suggestions or solutions please email. I greatly
    >appreciate your assistance.

  3. Re: New Tapes Not working

    You can check http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192216.htm for list of causes and
    fixes for CRC errors. If it is only the new tapes, I'd double check that they are
    compatible with the drive.

    Mike Brinkman wrote:

    > Would appreciate some help have emailed Veritas tech support 2 times for same
    > problem but have yet to get a response.
    > I recently bought some new backup tapes to add to my media rotation. When
    > I try to use these new tapes though the backup fails with a data error cyclic
    > redundancy error. Thinking that the new tapes need to be formatted(or reformatted)
    > I have tried to go to the tape format option and am unable to select the
    > format option. I have tried to get the format option to work every way I
    > can think of to no avail.
    >
    > I am very frustrated at not being able to use these new tapes with any hope
    > for reliability. Any one with suggestions or solutions please email. I greatly
    > appreciate your assistance.

  4. Re: New Tapes Not working

    When you look in the device screen does the tape have a name? If not then
    it is not initialized for the device.

    I would try:

    1. Ensure write protect is off on the tape.
    2. Clean the drive.
    3. Retension the tape. (You may not have a retension option depending on
    your drive type.)
    4. Erase the tape (Quick should be fine).
    5. Retension again.

    Most of the time I get a CRC error it is because of a dirty drive of a not
    quite right tape. If I have a new tape I always do 3-4-5.

    "Mike Brinkman" wrote:

    >Would appreciate some help have emailed Veritas tech support 2 times for

    same
    >problem but have yet to get a response.
    >I recently bought some new backup tapes to add to my media rotation. When
    >I try to use these new tapes though the backup fails with a data error cyclic
    >redundancy error. Thinking that the new tapes need to be formatted(or reformatted)
    >I have tried to go to the tape format option and am unable to select the
    >format option. I have tried to get the format option to work every way I
    >can think of to no avail.
    >
    >I am very frustrated at not being able to use these new tapes with any hope
    >for reliability. Any one with suggestions or solutions please email. I greatly
    >appreciate your assistance.

+ Reply to Thread