Linux and Incremental/Differential ?!? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Linux and Incremental/Differential ?!? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi! I use backupexec 8.5 to backup our win2k-server and some of our linux-systems. Daily, I only make a incremental backup, to speed up the backup. The problem is, that on the linux system, any file seems to be backuped, ...

  1. Linux and Incremental/Differential ?!?

    Hi!

    I use backupexec 8.5 to backup our win2k-server and some
    of our linux-systems. Daily, I only make a incremental backup,
    to speed up the backup.
    The problem is, that on the linux system, any file seems to be
    backuped, doen's matter, if changed or not. I think, that's because
    there is no "archive-flag" on linux.

    Is there a "work-around" available? Is it possible, to only
    backup theses files on linux, which have been changed from
    the last full-backup-date?
    Ok, I can do that with scripts, which tar these special files
    and then only backup the tar-file, but I don't think, that this
    is very smart.

    Any other idea?

    Steff

  2. Re: Linux and Incremental/Differential ?!?

    Hi Steff, you`re right there is no archive bit for Unix/Linux files, here a
    couple of useful Technotes from Veritas:

    Mike

    Steff wrote in message news:3b04b8ad$1@hronntp01....
    > Hi!
    >
    > I use backupexec 8.5 to backup our win2k-server and some
    > of our linux-systems. Daily, I only make a incremental backup,
    > to speed up the backup.
    > The problem is, that on the linux system, any file seems to be
    > backuped, doen's matter, if changed or not. I think, that's because
    > there is no "archive-flag" on linux.
    >
    > Is there a "work-around" available? Is it possible, to only
    > backup theses files on linux, which have been changed from
    > the last full-backup-date?
    > Ok, I can do that with scripts, which tar these special files
    > and then only backup the tar-file, but I don't think, that this
    > is very smart.
    >
    > Any other idea?
    >
    > Steff

  3. Re: Linux and Incremental/Differential ?!?

    Hi Mike!

    Great - it's not "real incremental backup", but this hint helps me a lot!

    Best regards

    Steff

+ Reply to Thread