ISINST30 file error installing agent on WIN98 SE - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on ISINST30 file error installing agent on WIN98 SE - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have brand new Dell PC's with Windows 98 SE installed and all the latest patches and upgrades to that O/S downloaded from Microsoft. When attempting to install the BENT 7.3 agent on these PCs, the installation will abort with ...

  1. ISINST30 file error installing agent on WIN98 SE

    We have brand new Dell PC's with Windows 98 SE installed and all the latest
    patches and upgrades to that O/S downloaded from Microsoft.

    When attempting to install the BENT 7.3 agent on these PCs, the installation
    will abort with the message, "Isinst30 caused an error". I have searched
    your database for a solution to this problem with no luck.

    We have successfully installed this agent on many other Windows 98 S.E. machines
    without this error. It seems to be related to only the newer O/S that includes
    the latest files from Microsoft. NO OTHER APPLICATION software has been
    installed on these machines at this point. In fact, when we do install other
    apps, such as Office 2K, Eudora, Norton's Antivirus agent, we do not get
    the "ISINST30" Error, only with Bent 7.3 agent.

    Any solutions out there to this one? Thanks....

  2. Re: ISINST30 file error installing agent on WIN98 SE

    There is a Veritas KB article for this. I have lost my list of commonly
    used Veritas KB articles, so I do not have the number handy. It has been
    posted several times in this newsgroup.

    The simplest thing to do is boot into Safe Mode, which should not load the
    Intellipoint software, install the agent and reboot into normal mode and
    finish the setup. Or there is a System Configuration utility which will let
    you deselect programs to run at startup. You want to deselect Intellipoint
    (point32.exe, I think) for the Agent install.

    Alex

    "Debra Deyette" wrote in message

    > We have brand new Dell PC's with Windows 98 SE installed and all the

    latest
    > patches and upgrades to that O/S downloaded from Microsoft.
    >
    > When attempting to install the BENT 7.3 agent on these PCs, the

    installation
    > will abort with the message, "Isinst30 caused an error". I have searched
    > your database for a solution to this problem with no luck.
    >
    > We have successfully installed this agent on many other Windows 98 S.E.

    machines
    > without this error. It seems to be related to only the newer O/S that

    includes
    > the latest files from Microsoft. NO OTHER APPLICATION software has been
    > installed on these machines at this point. In fact, when we do install

    other
    > apps, such as Office 2K, Eudora, Norton's Antivirus agent, we do not get
    > the "ISINST30" Error, only with Bent 7.3 agent.
    >
    > Any solutions out there to this one? Thanks....

  3. Re: ISINST30 file error installing agent on WIN98 SE

    Here is the KB article. URL may have wrapped.

    Alex

    "Alex Moore" wrote in message
    > There is a Veritas KB article for this. I have lost my list of commonly
    > used Veritas KB articles, so I do not have the number handy. It has been
    > posted several times in this newsgroup.
    >
    > The simplest thing to do is boot into Safe Mode, which should not load the
    > Intellipoint software, install the agent and reboot into normal mode and
    > finish the setup. Or there is a System Configuration utility which will

    let
    > you deselect programs to run at startup. You want to deselect

    Intellipoint
    > (point32.exe, I think) for the Agent install.
    >
    > Alex
    >
    > "Debra Deyette" wrote in message
    > >
    > > We have brand new Dell PC's with Windows 98 SE installed and all the

    > latest
    > > patches and upgrades to that O/S downloaded from Microsoft.
    > >
    > > When attempting to install the BENT 7.3 agent on these PCs, the

    > installation
    > > will abort with the message, "Isinst30 caused an error". I have

    searched
    > > your database for a solution to this problem with no luck.
    > >
    > > We have successfully installed this agent on many other Windows 98 S.E.

    > machines
    > > without this error. It seems to be related to only the newer O/S that

    > includes
    > > the latest files from Microsoft. NO OTHER APPLICATION software has been
    > > installed on these machines at this point. In fact, when we do install

    > other
    > > apps, such as Office 2K, Eudora, Norton's Antivirus agent, we do not get
    > > the "ISINST30" Error, only with Bent 7.3 agent.
    > >
    > > Any solutions out there to this one? Thanks....

+ Reply to Thread