Backup W2K Machine from Windows NT running BENT 8.0 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup W2K Machine from Windows NT running BENT 8.0 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am running BENT 8.0 and trying to backup/restore a W2k machine on our network. I have been able to backup but when I try to restore files, I get a FAILURE in the Job Monitor and Access Denied - ...

  1. Backup W2K Machine from Windows NT running BENT 8.0

    I am running BENT 8.0 and trying to backup/restore a W2k machine on our network.
    I have been able to backup but when I try to restore files, I get a FAILURE
    in the Job Monitor and Access Denied - Error Writing File Data error in the
    log, but the file does actually restore. The BENT help says:

    "To fully restore Windows 2000 features to a remote Windows 2000 system,
    the restore operation MUST be performed by a Windows 2000 backup server,
    and the Agent Accelerator must be installed on the remote system. You cannot
    use a backup server running Windows NT to restore data to a Windows 2000
    system.

    You can restore a Windows NT 4 system from a backup server running on either
    Windows NT 4 or Windows 2000. It is not necessary to have the Agent Accelerator
    installed to perform the restore."

    The statement, "You cannot use a backup server running Windows NT to restore
    data to a Windows 2000 system." make me think that what I am trying to do
    is not possible.

    My question 1) Is what I'm trying to do possible? 2) Has anyone expierenced
    the same problems I am having and been able to fix it?

    thanks

  2. Re: Backup W2K Machine from Windows NT running BENT 8.0

    see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/231029.htm

    BENT needs to be on W2000 to protect W2000 machines

    John Washbourne wrote:

    > I am running BENT 8.0 and trying to backup/restore a W2k machine on our network.
    > I have been able to backup but when I try to restore files, I get a FAILURE
    > in the Job Monitor and Access Denied - Error Writing File Data error in the
    > log, but the file does actually restore. The BENT help says:
    >
    > "To fully restore Windows 2000 features to a remote Windows 2000 system,
    > the restore operation MUST be performed by a Windows 2000 backup server,
    > and the Agent Accelerator must be installed on the remote system. You cannot
    > use a backup server running Windows NT to restore data to a Windows 2000
    > system.
    >
    > You can restore a Windows NT 4 system from a backup server running on either
    > Windows NT 4 or Windows 2000. It is not necessary to have the Agent Accelerator
    > installed to perform the restore."
    >
    > The statement, "You cannot use a backup server running Windows NT to restore
    > data to a Windows 2000 system." make me think that what I am trying to do
    > is not possible.
    >
    > My question 1) Is what I'm trying to do possible? 2) Has anyone expierenced
    > the same problems I am having and been able to fix it?
    >
    > thanks

+ Reply to Thread