Questions about Intelligent Disaster Recovery - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Questions about Intelligent Disaster Recovery - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I have a BDC running Exchange 5.5. I have another somewhat identical server on which I want to test the IDR of the BDC- to be sure it will work in the case of a disaster. The problems I ...

  1. Questions about Intelligent Disaster Recovery

    Hi,

    I have a BDC running Exchange 5.5. I have another somewhat identical server
    on which I want to test the IDR of the BDC- to be sure it will work in the
    case of a disaster. The problems I am having are that the tape drive is on
    the BDC and whenever I try to connect to the backup server during the IDR
    process to start the restore process, the IP address conflict arises on the
    network.

    I am thinking of moving the tape drive(as there is only one between the two
    of them) to the test server temporarily to see if IDR works
    locally(disconnecting the test server from the network). My question is how
    will I be able to accomplish that if Backup Exec is not installed on the
    test machine. Is there another workaround to this?

    The test server has a larger disk space, two NIC cards instead of one but
    other than that it is similar to the BDC. Will these minor differences make
    recovery impossible?

    Warda.

  2. Re: Questions about Intelligent Disaster Recovery

    Um, it will have an impact...a big one.

    What you need to do is take the healthy machine off-line for anything like
    this. Not only does each NT install have a separate SID, but the restore
    of Exchange will fail if its exact ghost is elsewhere on the network. Remove
    the extra nic and make sure the one left takes the same drivers as the backed
    up Exchange box. I wouldn't sync with the PDC.

    When you're done testing, take THAT machine offline and bring the original
    BDC back.

    "Warda Rasool" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a BDC running Exchange 5.5. I have another somewhat identical server
    >on which I want to test the IDR of the BDC- to be sure it will work in the
    >case of a disaster. The problems I am having are that the tape drive is

    on
    >the BDC and whenever I try to connect to the backup server during the IDR
    >process to start the restore process, the IP address conflict arises on

    the
    >network.
    >
    >I am thinking of moving the tape drive(as there is only one between the

    two
    >of them) to the test server temporarily to see if IDR works
    >locally(disconnecting the test server from the network). My question is

    how
    >will I be able to accomplish that if Backup Exec is not installed on the
    >test machine. Is there another workaround to this?
    >
    >The test server has a larger disk space, two NIC cards instead of one but
    >other than that it is similar to the BDC. Will these minor differences make
    >recovery impossible?
    >
    >Warda.

+ Reply to Thread