Question on restoring Exchange mailboxes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Question on restoring Exchange mailboxes - Veritas Backup Exec ; Running BackupExec 8.5 here on our NT 4.0 server running Exchange 5.5. We'd like to have the ability to restore individual Exchange mailboxes, and even email messages if possible. I seem to be rather hazy on this whole deal, and ...

  1. Question on restoring Exchange mailboxes

    Running BackupExec 8.5 here on our NT 4.0 server running Exchange 5.5.

    We'd like to have the ability to restore individual Exchange mailboxes, and
    even email messages if possible.

    I seem to be rather hazy on this whole deal, and it doesn't seem to be very
    straightforward.

    I've found the document on Veritas' web site detailing the process, but I've also
    find some information stating that this can be a very bad thing.

    Can anyone give me some opinions, and maybe answer a few questions?

    1 - In BackupExec, if I DON'T select the mailboxes to backup, but DO backup
    the Information Store, I can restore my Exchange Server, just not individual
    mailboxes. Correct?

    2- If I follow Veritas' instructions and set it to backup ALL mailboxes AND the
    Information Store, I will essentially be backing up my email twice, correct?

    3 - Assuming that backing up all email boxes is a bad thing, is it terrible to
    backup the Information Store and maybe 2-3 important mailboxes in case
    I need to restore some important message in one of those boxes?

    Any information would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks...

  2. Re: Question on restoring Exchange mailboxes

    Replies in-line

    Kremlar wrote:

    > Running BackupExec 8.5 here on our NT 4.0 server running Exchange 5.5.
    >
    > We'd like to have the ability to restore individual Exchange mailboxes, and
    > even email messages if possible.
    >
    > I seem to be rather hazy on this whole deal, and it doesn't seem to be very
    > straightforward.
    >
    > I've found the document on Veritas' web site detailing the process, but I've also
    > find some information stating that this can be a very bad thing.

    You don't mention specifics, but if you haven't seen Charles Villa's rant against them
    at http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm, read through that also

    > Can anyone give me some opinions, and maybe answer a few questions?
    >
    > 1 - In BackupExec, if I DON'T select the mailboxes to backup, but DO backup
    > the Information Store, I can restore my Exchange Server, just not individual
    > mailboxes. Correct?

    Yep, and you can do it on a standby server to do individual item recovery. Doens't
    have to be a real honkin machine, just have enough disk space to do the recovery.

    > 2- If I follow Veritas' instructions and set it to backup ALL mailboxes AND the
    > Information Store, I will essentially be backing up my email twice, correct?

    Maybe more than twice, since all copies of a company wide memo will be backed up from
    each mailbox

    > 3 - Assuming that backing up all email boxes is a bad thing, is it terrible to
    > backup the Information Store and maybe 2-3 important mailboxes in case
    > I need to restore some important message in one of those boxes?

    If you want to, go ahead. Just be aware that you may or may not get back everything
    that you want, especially schedule items. There are lots of posts here on the forum
    from people with that complaint.

    > Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks...

  3. Re: Question on restoring Exchange mailboxes

    "Kremlar" wrote in message
    > Running BackupExec 8.5 here on our NT 4.0 server running Exchange 5.5.
    >
    > 1 - In BackupExec, if I DON'T select the mailboxes to backup, but DO

    backup
    > the Information Store, I can restore my Exchange Server, just not

    individual
    > mailboxes. Correct?

    Mostly correct. If you need to recover an individual item or items, create
    a recovery server. Restore the IS to the recovery server and you can export
    the desired items. Recovery server can also be used to do test restores.

    > 2- If I follow Veritas' instructions and set it to backup ALL mailboxes

    AND the
    > Information Store, I will essentially be backing up my email twice,

    correct?

    Correct

    > 3 - Assuming that backing up all email boxes is a bad thing, is it

    terrible to
    > backup the Information Store and maybe 2-3 important mailboxes in

    case
    > I need to restore some important message in one of those boxes?

    Up to you. If you don't have any problems, go ahead.
    --
    Charles Villa

    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

+ Reply to Thread