Catalog trouble / no Restore selections - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Catalog trouble / no Restore selections - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have searched this forum for a solution, but so far none of the proposed solutions to similar problems have worked. Problem: Nothing shows up in the Restore window, and the event log has been filling up with messages about ...

  1. Catalog trouble / no Restore selections

    I have searched this forum for a solution, but so far none of
    the proposed solutions to similar problems have worked.

    Problem: Nothing shows up in the Restore window, and the event
    log has been filling up with messages about "unable to initialize alert server",
    "..unable to connect to notification server" and "...access Alert server
    Singleton object failed".

    I tried (ref technotes 191225 / 191238) DCOM config properties,
    but they were set correctly. ("connect" and "identify")
    I tried (technote 191824) to remove the catalog index. It was not recreated
    when starting up Backup Exec again.
    I set the "Remote Catalog Server" regvalue, which was not set to begin with,
    to "\\servername" and also tried "servername".
    No luck.
    I've tried (ref technote 191393) to change the DCOM access permissions.
    Nothing happens.

    ANYONE?

    Running 7.3, 2570.

    Cheers,
    Anders RM

  2. Re: Catalog trouble / no Restore selections

    "Anders Reed Mohn" wrote:

    >I have searched this forum for a solution, but so far none of
    >the proposed solutions to similar problems have worked.
    >
    >Problem: Nothing shows up in the Restore window, and the event
    >log has been filling up with messages about "unable to initialize alert

    server",
    >"..unable to connect to notification server" and "...access Alert server
    >Singleton object failed".
    >
    >I tried (ref technotes 191225 / 191238) DCOM config properties,
    >but they were set correctly. ("connect" and "identify")
    >I tried (technote 191824) to remove the catalog index. It was not recreated
    >when starting up Backup Exec again.
    >I set the "Remote Catalog Server" regvalue, which was not set to begin with,
    >to "\\servername" and also tried "servername".
    >No luck.
    >I've tried (ref technote 191393) to change the DCOM access permissions.
    >Nothing happens.
    >
    >ANYONE?
    >
    >Running 7.3, 2570.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Anders RM

    If the usual ways to fix this problem doesn't work then something
    more drastic is necessary. This sort of problem has something to
    do with NT/2000 services account/password problems.
    The only thing I can suggest is an uninstall and reinstall
    of BE saving the Veritas/data directory and the Veritas NT/pvl.mdb
    directory beforehand to be recopied back with the services shutdown
    and then restarting. See tech note 190544.

    You should update to the latest 7.3 build 2575.

+ Reply to Thread