SQL database backup not logging in - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SQL database backup not logging in - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm using Backup Exec version 8.5 rev 3571. Just lately, I can't seem to backup the SQL databases. I get the following message when I try to back them up: "Unable to attach to SERVER. Access is denied.". When I ...

  1. SQL database backup not logging in

    I'm using Backup Exec version 8.5 rev 3571. Just lately, I can't seem to
    backup the SQL databases. I get the following message when I try to back
    them up: "Unable to attach to SERVER. Access is denied.". When I try to
    back them up manually I get a dialog box that says "Attach to device SERVER"
    , and it says Backup Exec could not attach to this device. You may already
    be logged in with a different user name & password. Please enter a valid
    user name and password. No user name seems to work. I've added the W2K
    user administrator to the SQL server, but Backup Exec still won't log in &
    backup the databases. I've removed completely and re-installed Backup Exec &
    the SQL agent. Still won't log in. Any suggestions?

    Sincerely,

    Steve Hackbarth
    HDH Consulting
    steve@hdhconsulting.com

  2. Re: SQL database backup not logging in

    May have a corrupt cache file

    Shut down all BENT services
    delete the BEWINUI.UNI file (from \data dir)
    restart services

    You'll need to re-enter all cached user-id/password data

    Steve Hackbarth wrote:

    > I'm using Backup Exec version 8.5 rev 3571. Just lately, I can't seem to
    > backup the SQL databases. I get the following message when I try to back
    > them up: "Unable to attach to SERVER. Access is denied.". When I try to
    > back them up manually I get a dialog box that says "Attach to device SERVER"
    > , and it says Backup Exec could not attach to this device. You may already
    > be logged in with a different user name & password. Please enter a valid
    > user name and password. No user name seems to work. I've added the W2K
    > user administrator to the SQL server, but Backup Exec still won't log in &
    > backup the databases. I've removed completely and re-installed Backup Exec &
    > the SQL agent. Still won't log in. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Steve Hackbarth
    > HDH Consulting
    > steve@hdhconsulting.com

  3. Re: SQL database backup not logging in

    Hi Ken,

    On your suggestion, I did what you said. I verified that the file was
    deleted, re-started the services, & started Backup Exec. I still have the
    same problem. Do you have any other ideas?

    --
    Sincerely,

    Steve Hackbarth
    HDH Consulting
    steve@hdhconsulting.com

    &
    > > backup the databases. I've removed completely and re-installed Backup

    Exec &
    > > the SQL agent. Still won't log in. Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Sincerely,
    > >
    > > Steve Hackbarth
    > > HDH Consulting
    > > steve@hdhconsulting.com

  4. Re: SQL database backup not logging in

    Have you tried SA and the appropriate password?

    can you run a sql query against the master database from the backup server?

    Ken Putnam wrote:

    > May have a corrupt cache file
    >
    > Shut down all BENT services
    > delete the BEWINUI.UNI file (from \data dir)
    > restart services
    >
    > You'll need to re-enter all cached user-id/password data
    >
    > Steve Hackbarth wrote:
    >
    > > I'm using Backup Exec version 8.5 rev 3571. Just lately, I can't seem to
    > > backup the SQL databases. I get the following message when I try to back
    > > them up: "Unable to attach to SERVER. Access is denied.". When I try to
    > > back them up manually I get a dialog box that says "Attach to device SERVER"
    > > , and it says Backup Exec could not attach to this device. You may already
    > > be logged in with a different user name & password. Please enter a valid
    > > user name and password. No user name seems to work. I've added the W2K
    > > user administrator to the SQL server, but Backup Exec still won't log in &
    > > backup the databases. I've removed completely and re-installed Backup Exec &
    > > the SQL agent. Still won't log in. Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Sincerely,
    > >
    > > Steve Hackbarth
    > > HDH Consulting
    > > steve@hdhconsulting.com

  5. Re: SQL database backup not logging in

    Yes, I've already tried logging in as sa. No good. And yes I can run a
    query against the master database. For your information, SQL & Backup Exec
    is running on this Win 2000 server.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Steve Hackbarth
    HDH Consulting
    steve@hdhconsulting.com
    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Have you tried SA and the appropriate password?
    >
    > can you run a sql query against the master database from the backup

    server?

    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    >
    > > May have a corrupt cache file
    > >
    > > Shut down all BENT services
    > > delete the BEWINUI.UNI file (from \data dir)
    > > restart services
    > >
    > > You'll need to re-enter all cached user-id/password data
    > >
    > > Steve Hackbarth wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm using Backup Exec version 8.5 rev 3571. Just lately, I can't seem

    > > > backup the SQL databases. I get the following message when I try to

    back
    > > > them up: "Unable to attach to SERVER. Access is denied.". When I try

    > > > back them up manually I get a dialog box that says "Attach to device

    SERVER"
    > > > , and it says Backup Exec could not attach to this device. You may

    already
    > > > be logged in with a different user name & password. Please enter a

    valid
    > > > user name and password. No user name seems to work. I've added the

    W2K
    > > > user administrator to the SQL server, but Backup Exec still won't log

    in &
    > > > backup the databases. I've removed completely and re-installed Backup

    Exec &
    > > > the SQL agent. Still won't log in. Any suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > Sincerely,
    > > >
    > > > Steve Hackbarth
    > > > HDH Consulting
    > > > steve@hdhconsulting.com

  6. Re: SQL database backup not logging in

    Since SQL and BENT are on the same box, you should try forcing Named Pipes
    for the backups. There is a Veritas KB article concerning this issue, but I
    have lost my list of commonly used articles. It has been posted several
    times in the past in this newsgroup or maybe someone else has the number
    handy. It is a registry change on a Veritas key.

    Alex

    "Steve Hackbarth" wrote in message
    > Yes, I've already tried logging in as sa. No good. And yes I can run a
    > query against the master database. For your information, SQL & Backup

    Exec
    > is running on this Win 2000 server.
    >
    > --
    > Sincerely,
    >

    > Steve Hackbarth
    > HDH Consulting
    > steve@hdhconsulting.com
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > Have you tried SA and the appropriate password?
    > >
    > > can you run a sql query against the master database from the backup

    > server?
    > >
    > > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >
    > > > May have a corrupt cache file
    > > >
    > > > Shut down all BENT services
    > > > delete the BEWINUI.UNI file (from \data dir)
    > > > restart services
    > > >
    > > > You'll need to re-enter all cached user-id/password data

    seem

    > back

    try

    > SERVER"

    > already

    > valid

    > W2K

    log
    > in &

    Backup
    > Exec &

  7. Re: SQL database backup not logging in

    Thanks Alex,

    I can't seem to find the document in the Veritas KB. If anyone knows where
    to locate the article Alex wrote about that would be great. Also I've
    pasted the event viewer application log for this problem.

    The description for Event ID ( 57860 ) in Source ( Backup Exec ) cannot be
    found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
    message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
    information is part of the event: SERVER, 0011, [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen
    (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Steve Hackbarth
    HDH Consulting
    steve@hdhconsulting.com
    "Alex Moore" wrote in message news:3b03c3ea@hronntp01....
    > Since SQL and BENT are on the same box, you should try forcing Named Pipes
    > for the backups. There is a Veritas KB article concerning this issue, but

    > have lost my list of commonly used articles. It has been posted several
    > times in the past in this newsgroup or maybe someone else has the number
    > handy. It is a registry change on a Veritas key.
    >
    > Alex
    >
    > "Steve Hackbarth" wrote in message
    > > Yes, I've already tried logging in as sa. No good. And yes I can run a
    > > query against the master database. For your information, SQL & Backup

    > Exec
    > > is running on this Win 2000 server.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Sincerely,
    > >

    > > Steve Hackbarth
    > > HDH Consulting
    > > steve@hdhconsulting.com
    > > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > > Have you tried SA and the appropriate password?
    > > >
    > > > can you run a sql query against the master database from the backup

    > > server?

    > seem

    > > back

    > try

    device
    > > SERVER"

    may
    > > already

    > > valid

    the
    > > W2K

    > log
    > > in &

    > Backup
    > > Exec &

  8. Re: SQL database backup not logging in

    Found my collection of clips. See the following. URL may have wrapped. If
    this does not look like it applies directly to your problem, I would try it
    anyway.

    Alex

    "Alex Moore" wrote in message news:3b03c3ea@hronntp01....
    > Since SQL and BENT are on the same box, you should try forcing Named Pipes
    > for the backups. There is a Veritas KB article concerning this issue, but

    > have lost my list of commonly used articles. It has been posted several
    > times in the past in this newsgroup or maybe someone else has the number
    > handy. It is a registry change on a Veritas key.
    >
    > Alex
    >
    > "Steve Hackbarth" wrote in message
    > > Yes, I've already tried logging in as sa. No good. And yes I can run a
    > > query against the master database. For your information, SQL & Backup

    > Exec
    > > is running on this Win 2000 server.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Sincerely,
    > >

    > > Steve Hackbarth
    > > HDH Consulting
    > > steve@hdhconsulting.com
    > > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > > Have you tried SA and the appropriate password?
    > > >
    > > > can you run a sql query against the master database from the backup

    > > server?

    > seem

    > > back

    > try

    device
    > > SERVER"

    may
    > > already

    > > valid

    the
    > > W2K

    > log
    > > in &

    > Backup
    > > Exec &

  9. Re: SQL database backup not logging in

    Hi,

    I've been out of town a couple of weeks, but I'm still working on this same
    problem. I tried forcing the named pipes as per the article you suggested.
    Still
    no change. I still cannot backup the SQL sserver databases

    --
    Sincerely,

    Steve Hackbarth
    HDH Consulting
    steve@hdhconsulting.com

    > > Since SQL and BENT are on the same box, you should try forcing Named

    Pipes
    > > for the backups. There is a Veritas KB article concerning this issue,

    but
    > > have lost my list of commonly used articles. It has been posted several
    > > times in the past in this newsgroup or maybe someone else has the number
    > > handy. It is a registry change on a Veritas key.
    > >
    > > Alex
    > >
    > > "Steve Hackbarth" wrote in message
    > > > Yes, I've already tried logging in as sa. No good. And yes I can run

    > > > query against the master database. For your information, SQL & Backup

    > > Exec
    > > > is running on this Win 2000 server.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Sincerely,
    > > >

    > > > Steve Hackbarth
    > > > HDH Consulting
    > > > steve@hdhconsulting.com
    > > > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > > > server?

    can't
    > > seem

    try
    > > > back

    > > try

    > device
    > > > SERVER"

    > may
    > > > already

    enter
    > > > valid

    > the
    > > > W2K

    won't
    > > log
    > > > in &

    > > Backup
    > > > Exec &

  10. Re: SQL database backup not logging in

    I had the same problem when I upgraded to Win2000 and SQL2000 with BE8.5. I
    changed the service account for SQL server to the system account and the
    problem went away.

    Hope this helps.

    Mike

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been out of town a couple of weeks, but I'm still working on this

    same
    > problem. I tried forcing the named pipes as per the article you

    suggested.
    > Still
    > no change. I still cannot backup the SQL sserver databases
    >
    > --
    > Sincerely,
    >

    > Steve Hackbarth
    > HDH Consulting
    > steve@hdhconsulting.com
    > "Alex Moore" wrote in message
    > > Found my collection of clips. See the following. URL may have wrapped.

    > If
    > > this does not look like it applies directly to your problem, I would try

    > it
    > > anyway.
    > > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191511.htm
    > >
    > > Alex
    > >
    > > "Alex Moore" wrote in message

    > > > Since SQL and BENT are on the same box, you should try forcing Named

    > Pipes
    > > > for the backups. There is a Veritas KB article concerning this issue,

    > but
    > > > have lost my list of commonly used articles. It has been posted

    several
    > > > times in the past in this newsgroup or maybe someone else has the

    number
    > > > handy. It is a registry change on a Veritas key.
    > > >
    > > > Alex
    > > >
    > > > "Steve Hackbarth" wrote in message

    run

    Backup
    > > > Exec

    backup

    > can't
    > > > seem

    > try

    When
    > > > try

    > > device

    You
    > > may

    > enter

    added
    > > the

    > won't
    > > > log
    > > > Backup

  11. Re: SQL database backup not logging in

    Hi Mike,

    Thanks for your suggestion. I checked the MSSQLSERVER & MS SQLAGENT & both
    services were logging on with the system account. I tried changing to the
    Windows administrator account, rebooting the server & tried Backup Exec
    again with no success. So I changed them back to the system account.
    Anybody have any other suggestions?

    Sincerely,

    Steve Hackbarth
    HDH Consulting

    steve@hdhconsulting.com
    "Mike Q" wrote in message news:3b20c468@hronntp01....
    > I had the same problem when I upgraded to Win2000 and SQL2000 with BE8.5.

    > changed the service account for SQL server to the system account and the
    > problem went away.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Steve Hackbarth" wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've been out of town a couple of weeks, but I'm still working on this

    > same
    > > problem. I tried forcing the named pipes as per the article you

    > suggested.
    > > Still
    > > no change. I still cannot backup the SQL sserver databases
    > >
    > > --
    > > Sincerely,
    > >

    > > Steve Hackbarth
    > > HDH Consulting
    > > steve@hdhconsulting.com
    > > "Alex Moore" wrote in message
    > > > Found my collection of clips. See the following. URL may have

    wrapped.
    > > If
    > > > this does not look like it applies directly to your problem, I would

    try
    > > it
    > > > anyway.
    > > > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191511.htm
    > > >
    > > > Alex
    > > >
    > > > "Alex Moore" wrote in message

    > > Pipes

    issue,
    > > but

    > several

    > number

    > run

    > Backup

    > backup

    > > can't

    > > try

    > When

    > > > device

    > You
    > > > may

    > > enter

    > added
    > > > the

    > > won't

    re-installed

  12. Repost : Re: SQL database backup not logging in

    Hi Mike,

    Thanks for your suggestion. I checked the MSSQLSERVER & MS SQLAGENT & both
    services were logging on with the system account. I tried changg to the

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestion. I checked the MSSQLSERVER & MS SQLAGENT &

    both
    > services were logging on with the system account. I tried changing to the
    > Windows administrator account, rebooting the server & tried Backup Exec
    > again with no success. So I changed them back to the system account.
    > Anybody have any other suggestions?
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >

    > Steve Hackbarth
    > HDH Consulting
    >
    > steve@hdhconsulting.com
    > "Mike Q" wrote in message news:3b20c468@hronntp01....
    > > I had the same problem when I upgraded to Win2000 and SQL2000 with

    BE8.5.
    > > changed the service account for SQL server to the system account and the
    > > problem went away.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > "Steve Hackbarth" wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I've been out of town a couple of weeks, but I'm still working on this

    > > same
    > > > problem. I tried forcing the named pipes as per the article you

    > > suggested.
    > > > Still
    > > > no change. I still cannot backup the SQL sserver databases
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Sincerely,
    > > >

    > > > Steve Hackbarth
    > > > HDH Consulting