finally got good throughput! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on finally got good throughput! - Veritas Backup Exec ; Ok all, I had this problem where I was running BE 8.5 build 3572, latest Veritas drivers, latest adaptec drivers, all updates, etc etc. My Exabyte 215M that houses 2 Mammoth 2 drives was topping out at about 130 mb/minute. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: finally got good throughput!

  1. finally got good throughput!


    Ok all, I had this problem where I was running BE 8.5 build 3572, latest Veritas
    drivers, latest adaptec drivers, all updates, etc etc. My Exabyte 215M that
    houses 2 Mammoth 2 drives was topping out at about 130 mb/minute. I had toyed
    with drive buffer settings, high water marks, all that jazz, nothing helped.
    I happened to bring this up to an old work buddy of mine who replied that
    he fixed the same scenario by not using Adaptec's driver (for my 29160 LVD
    card). I first tried the default "SCSI controller" driver that W2K server
    automatically installed, but did not get any performance. I then updated
    the driver to a driver that microsoft said was "compatible". This was the
    7892 driver. Rebooted, and according to the job monitor event logs, I had
    anywhere from 170-900 mb/minute range on jobs. I know this representation
    is not entirely accurate, but the bottom line is that I got faster performance.
    I will see how a week of this goes.

  2. Re: finally got good throughput!

    I'd be curious about your results, I am also running a Mammoth 2 drive. On
    Exchange 5.5 it was backing up the IS about about 420M/minute. These things
    smoke! not literally though.

    Robert Blomquist
    "rafael" wrote in message
    news:3b004f5f$1@hronntp01....
    >
    > Ok all, I had this problem where I was running BE 8.5 build 3572, latest

    Veritas
    > drivers, latest adaptec drivers, all updates, etc etc. My Exabyte 215M

    that
    > houses 2 Mammoth 2 drives was topping out at about 130 mb/minute. I had

    toyed
    > with drive buffer settings, high water marks, all that jazz, nothing

    helped.
    > I happened to bring this up to an old work buddy of mine who replied that
    > he fixed the same scenario by not using Adaptec's driver (for my 29160 LVD
    > card). I first tried the default "SCSI controller" driver that W2K server
    > automatically installed, but did not get any performance. I then updated
    > the driver to a driver that microsoft said was "compatible". This was the
    > 7892 driver. Rebooted, and according to the job monitor event logs, I had
    > anywhere from 170-900 mb/minute range on jobs. I know this representation
    > is not entirely accurate, but the bottom line is that I got faster

    performance.
    > I will see how a week of this goes.




+ Reply to Thread