How much "overhead" does BENT need? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on How much "overhead" does BENT need? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello All, I have an HP Ultrium (200GB) tape drive. My b/u have been fine (about 150GB worth o' stuff.), but now I am backing up roughly 185GB of data. My problem is the BENT is requiring a span to ...

  1. How much "overhead" does BENT need?

    Hello All,

    I have an HP Ultrium (200GB) tape drive. My b/u have been fine (about 150GB
    worth o' stuff.), but now I am backing up roughly 185GB of data. My problem
    is the BENT is requiring a span to a second tape.

    How much "overhead" does BENT need?

    BENT 8.5

    Cool,

    Martin E.
    God bless you...

  2. Re: How much "overhead" does BENT need?

    Not familiar with that hardware. Is it rated 100/200GB? if so, that just
    means 100GB uncompressed 200GB compressed at 2:1. This is purely a marketing
    figure, rarely achieved in the real world. I usually figure about 1.3:1. so
    you're getting 1.85:1, way ahead of the curve.

    Either split the job into two, or just feed it a 2nd tape as soon as you come
    in in the morning, and let it finish.

    CrazyLikeThat67 wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have an HP Ultrium (200GB) tape drive. My b/u have been fine (about 150GB
    > worth o' stuff.), but now I am backing up roughly 185GB of data. My problem
    > is the BENT is requiring a span to a second tape.
    >
    > How much "overhead" does BENT need?
    >
    > BENT 8.5
    >
    > Cool,
    >
    > Martin E.