Unable to get Remote Agent to Start - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unable to get Remote Agent to Start - Veritas Backup Exec ; Here are the specifics: Windows 2000 Server Server use: File Server Running: Norton Anti-Virus (Enterprise) Client WQuinn Quota Advisor Suite WQuinn File Screen (part of the Quota Advisor Suite) I am unable to get the Remote Agent to start. In ...

  1. Unable to get Remote Agent to Start

    Here are the specifics:

    Windows 2000 Server

    Server use:
    File Server
    Running:
    Norton Anti-Virus (Enterprise) Client
    WQuinn Quota Advisor Suite
    WQuinn File Screen (part of the Quota Advisor Suite)

    I am unable to get the Remote Agent to start. In the Event Log (System Log)
    I have the following error:

    Event ID 7023
    The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 service terminated with the
    following error:
    ?

    Anyone have this issue before? I have MANY other servers NT and 2000
    Server/AdvServer
    that this installation has gone smoothly. This is the only server in my care
    that will not "start" this service.

    Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

  2. Re: Unable to get Remote Agent to Start

    Have you tried uninstall/boot/install/boot?

    Seems to work for some in your situation.

    "Burt H. Matsushima" wrote:

    > Here are the specifics:
    >
    > Windows 2000 Server
    >
    > Server use:
    > File Server
    > Running:
    > Norton Anti-Virus (Enterprise) Client
    > WQuinn Quota Advisor Suite
    > WQuinn File Screen (part of the Quota Advisor Suite)
    >
    > I am unable to get the Remote Agent to start. In the Event Log (System Log)
    > I have the following error:
    >
    > Event ID 7023
    > The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 service terminated with the
    > following error:
    > ?
    >
    > Anyone have this issue before? I have MANY other servers NT and 2000
    > Server/AdvServer
    > that this installation has gone smoothly. This is the only server in my care
    > that will not "start" this service.
    >
    > Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

  3. Unable to get Remote Agent to Start

    Similar problem, but I am seeing the following in the Event Viewer:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7023
    Date: 5/14/2001
    Time: 7:46:31 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: CONTROLLER_1
    The Backup Exec 8.x Agent Accelerator service terminated with the following
    error:

    This is BackupExec 8.0 Rev. 3316 on a Win2K Server. Works well on other
    Win2K server, just not this one.

  4. Re: Unable to get Remote Agent to Start

    Ken I have the exact same problem. I sent an email the Veritas support but
    no response. I tried reinstalling the remote agent sverelar time but no
    luck. Someone Help!

    "Ken" wrote:
    >Similar problem, but I am seeing the following in the Event Viewer:
    >
    >Event Type: Error
    >Event Source: Service Control Manager
    >Event Category: None
    >Event ID: 7023
    >Date: 5/14/2001
    >Time: 7:46:31 AM
    >User: N/A
    >Computer: CONTROLLER_1
    >The Backup Exec 8.x Agent Accelerator service terminated with the following
    >error:
    >The system cannot find the file specified.
    >
    >This is BackupExec 8.0 Rev. 3316 on a Win2K Server. Works well on other
    >Win2K server, just not this one.

  5. Re: Unable to get Remote Agent to Start

    I also have this same problem, I posted here last week. I also sent an email
    to Veritas tech support and got a response, asking me to check the registry
    whether AppleTalk was listed as a Winsock transport (????). It was, but
    don't know if that is a bad thing or a good thing.

    "Knowlton" wrote:

    >Ken I have the exact same problem. I sent an email the Veritas support

    but
    >no response. I tried reinstalling the remote agent sverelar time but no
    >luck. Someone Help!
    >
    >"Ken" wrote:
    >>Similar problem, but I am seeing the following in the Event Viewer:
    >>
    >>Event Type: Error
    >>Event Source: Service Control Manager
    >>Event Category: None
    >>Event ID: 7023
    >>Date: 5/14/2001
    >>Time: 7:46:31 AM
    >>User: N/A
    >>Computer: CONTROLLER_1
    >>The Backup Exec 8.x Agent Accelerator service terminated with the following
    >>error:
    >>The system cannot find the file specified.
    >>
    >>This is BackupExec 8.0 Rev. 3316 on a Win2K Server. Works well on other
    >>Win2K server, just not this one.

  6. Re: Unable to get Remote Agent to Start

    If you don't use AppleTalk, remove it and try re-starting BEREMOTE.

    Ed Partridge wrote:

    > I also have this same problem, I posted here last week. I also sent an email
    > to Veritas tech support and got a response, asking me to check the registry
    > whether AppleTalk was listed as a Winsock transport (????). It was, but
    > don't know if that is a bad thing or a good thing.
    >
    > "Knowlton" wrote:
    > >
    > >Ken I have the exact same problem. I sent an email the Veritas support

    > but
    > >no response. I tried reinstalling the remote agent sverelar time but no
    > >luck. Someone Help!
    > >
    > >"Ken" wrote:
    > >>Similar problem, but I am seeing the following in the Event Viewer:
    > >>
    > >>Event Type: Error
    > >>Event Source: Service Control Manager
    > >>Event Category: None
    > >>Event ID: 7023
    > >>Date: 5/14/2001
    > >>Time: 7:46:31 AM
    > >>User: N/A
    > >>Computer: CONTROLLER_1
    > >>The Backup Exec 8.x Agent Accelerator service terminated with the following
    > >>error:
    > >>The system cannot find the file specified.
    > >>
    > >>This is BackupExec 8.0 Rev. 3316 on a Win2K Server. Works well on other
    > >>Win2K server, just not this one.

  7. Re: Unable to get Remote Agent to Start

    Actually the solution was to reinstall AppleTalk, even though I
    don't use it. Then the service started correctly. Evidently
    AppleTalk had once been installed on that server and configured to
    a particular adapter, then the adapter was removed and replaced with
    another and AppleTalk had been uninstalled. The registry still had
    an entry with AppleTalk related to that original adapter.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >If you don't use AppleTalk, remove it and try re-starting BEREMOTE.
    >
    >Ed Partridge wrote:
    >
    >> I also have this same problem, I posted here last week. I also sent an

    email
    >> to Veritas tech support and got a response, asking me to check the registry
    >> whether AppleTalk was listed as a Winsock transport (????). It was, but
    >> don't know if that is a bad thing or a good thing.
    >>
    >> "Knowlton" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Ken I have the exact same problem. I sent an email the Veritas support

    >> but
    >> >no response. I tried reinstalling the remote agent sverelar time but

    no
    >> >luck. Someone Help!

  8. Re: Unable to get Remote Agent to Start

    I don't believe it! It worked. Just by adding Apple Talk to the NIC,
    running the silent install and rebooting. The service is now started. I am
    removing the Apple Talk now and rebooting to see if the service still
    starts.

    "Ed Partridge" wrote in message

    > Actually the solution was to reinstall AppleTalk, even though I
    > don't use it. Then the service started correctly. Evidently
    > AppleTalk had once been installed on that server and configured to
    > a particular adapter, then the adapter was removed and replaced with
    > another and AppleTalk had been uninstalled. The registry still had
    > an entry with AppleTalk related to that original adapter.
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >If you don't use AppleTalk, remove it and try re-starting BEREMOTE.
    > >
    > >Ed Partridge wrote:
    > >
    > >> I also have this same problem, I posted here last week. I also sent an

    > email
    > >> to Veritas tech support and got a response, asking me to check the

    registry
    > >> whether AppleTalk was listed as a Winsock transport (????). It was,

    but
    > >> don't know if that is a bad thing or a good thing.

    support
    > >> but

    > no

    following

    other

  9. Re: Unable to get Remote Agent to Start

    "Knowlton" wrote:

    >Ken I have the exact same problem. I sent an email the Veritas support

    but
    >no response. I tried reinstalling the remote agent sverelar time but no
    >luck. Someone Help!
    >
    >"Ken" wrote:
    >>Similar problem, but I am seeing the following in the Event Viewer:
    >>
    >>Event Type: Error
    >>Event Source: Service Control Manager
    >>Event Category: None
    >>Event ID: 7023
    >>Date: 5/14/2001
    >>Time: 7:46:31 AM
    >>User: N/A
    >>Computer: CONTROLLER_1
    >>The Backup Exec 8.x Agent Accelerator service terminated with the following
    >>error:
    >>The system cannot find the file specified.
    >>
    >>This is BackupExec 8.0 Rev. 3316 on a Win2K Server. Works well on other
    >>Win2K server, just not this one.

    Does the BE agent services account have the property to login as a service?

  10. Re: Unable to get Remote Agent to Start

    I had this same problem. Installing AppleTalk protocol fixed it. AppleTalk
    does not have to be enabled; just present in the "Local Area Connection"
    properties.

    "Doug Cook" wrote:

    >"Knowlton" wrote:
    >>
    >>Ken I have the exact same problem. I sent an email the Veritas support

    >but
    >>no response. I tried reinstalling the remote agent sverelar time but

    no
    >>luck. Someone Help!
    >>
    >>"Ken" wrote:
    >>>Similar problem, but I am seeing the following in the Event Viewer:
    >>>
    >>>Event Type: Error
    >>>Event Source: Service Control Manager
    >>>Event Category: None
    >>>Event ID: 7023
    >>>Date: 5/14/2001
    >>>Time: 7:46:31 AM
    >>>User: N/A
    >>>Computer: CONTROLLER_1
    >>>The Backup Exec 8.x Agent Accelerator service terminated with the following
    >>>error:
    >>>The system cannot find the file specified.
    >>>
    >>>This is BackupExec 8.0 Rev. 3316 on a Win2K Server. Works well on other
    >>>Win2K server, just not this one.
    >>>

    >Does the BE agent services account have the property to login as a service?

  11. Re: Unable to get Remote Agent to Start

    Veritas support responded with the solution. Seems very odd given there has
    never been appletalk on this network. I tried it anyway and it worked!!!!

    This is commonly caused by the registry having traces of AppleTalk
    installed, but the actual files and protocol no longer being on the system.
    The easiest way to fix this is to install AppleTalk and disable it by
    removing the checkmark next to the protocol in the network properties.

    "Knowlton" wrote:

    >Ken I have the exact same problem. I sent an email the Veritas support

    but
    >no response. I tried reinstalling the remote agent sverelar time but no
    >luck. Someone Help!
    >
    >"Ken" wrote:
    >>Similar problem, but I am seeing the following in the Event Viewer:
    >>
    >>Event Type: Error
    >>Event Source: Service Control Manager
    >>Event Category: None
    >>Event ID: 7023
    >>Date: 5/14/2001
    >>Time: 7:46:31 AM
    >>User: N/A
    >>Computer: CONTROLLER_1
    >>The Backup Exec 8.x Agent Accelerator service terminated with the following
    >>error:
    >>The system cannot find the file specified.
    >>
    >>This is BackupExec 8.0 Rev. 3316 on a Win2K Server. Works well on other
    >>Win2K server, just not this one.

+ Reply to Thread