Operation can not be continued - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Operation can not be continued - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am getting an error message as my backup fails on this tape The media provided to continue the backup already contains data from one or more sets created during this operation. The operation can not be continued I have ...

  1. Operation can not be continued

    I am getting an error message as my backup fails on this tape

    The media provided to continue the backup already contains data
    from one or more sets created during this operation.
    The operation can not be continued

    I have my backups set to Overwrite Media and the media overwrite protection
    set to None.
    My thought was that this would take a tape in rotation and simply write
    right over it with out me having to erase it or any other maintence to it.
    This error makes me think that it is keeping some of the data on there
    simply because I can backup 150GB on this tape and the last backup had
    backed up 90+GB and last nights backup was 60+GB.

    Anyone have any suggestions??

    Thanks

  2. Re: Operation can not be continued

    You have filled up the tape.

    See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/195821.htm

    Stone wrote:

    > I am getting an error message as my backup fails on this tape
    >
    > The media provided to continue the backup already contains data
    > from one or more sets created during this operation.
    > The operation can not be continued
    >
    > I have my backups set to Overwrite Media and the media overwrite protection
    > set to None.
    > My thought was that this would take a tape in rotation and simply write
    > right over it with out me having to erase it or any other maintence to it.
    > This error makes me think that it is keeping some of the data on there
    > simply because I can backup 150GB on this tape and the last backup had
    > backed up 90+GB and last nights backup was 60+GB.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions??
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Operation can not be continued

    From what I see on that document is that it will continue onto another piece
    of media. I do not want this. It is only using about 1.2 of the tape
    capacity. I want it to overwrite the data that was backuped on the tape
    from the same backup job just it is 4 weeks old at this point. Use the
    whole tape not just the end of it that has not been used before. If I do
    this it will never get rid of the old backup info it will just keep trying
    to write to new media.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > You have filled up the tape.
    >
    > See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/195821.htm
    >
    > Stone wrote:
    >
    > > I am getting an error message as my backup fails on this tape
    > >
    > > The media provided to continue the backup already contains data
    > > from one or more sets created during this operation.
    > > The operation can not be continued
    > >
    > > I have my backups set to Overwrite Media and the media overwrite

    protection
    > > set to None.
    > > My thought was that this would take a tape in rotation and simply write
    > > right over it with out me having to erase it or any other maintence to

    it.
    > > This error makes me think that it is keeping some of the data on there
    > > simply because I can backup 150GB on this tape and the last backup had
    > > backed up 90+GB and last nights backup was 60+GB.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any suggestions??
    > >
    > > Thanks

  4. Re: Operation can not be continued

    In that case, you need to make sure that the job is set to overwrite and not
    append.

    All that the message means is that BENT has reached the end of the tape, and
    tried to reload the same tape to continue the job.

    Stone wrote:

    > From what I see on that document is that it will continue onto another piece
    > of media. I do not want this. It is only using about 1.2 of the tape
    > capacity. I want it to overwrite the data that was backuped on the tape
    > from the same backup job just it is 4 weeks old at this point. Use the
    > whole tape not just the end of it that has not been used before. If I do
    > this it will never get rid of the old backup info it will just keep trying
    > to write to new media.
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > You have filled up the tape.
    > >
    > > See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/195821.htm
    > >
    > > Stone wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am getting an error message as my backup fails on this tape
    > > >
    > > > The media provided to continue the backup already contains data
    > > > from one or more sets created during this operation.
    > > > The operation can not be continued
    > > >
    > > > I have my backups set to Overwrite Media and the media overwrite

    > protection
    > > > set to None.
    > > > My thought was that this would take a tape in rotation and simply write
    > > > right over it with out me having to erase it or any other maintence to

    > it.
    > > > This error makes me think that it is keeping some of the data on there
    > > > simply because I can backup 150GB on this tape and the last backup had
    > > > backed up 90+GB and last nights backup was 60+GB.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone have any suggestions??
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread