Backup Scan and Estimated Total Bytes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Scan and Estimated Total Bytes - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, hope someone can help. We're running the following: Windows NT 4.0 (SP 5) Backup Exec 8.0 with Netware Agent Compaq DLT 15/30 GB Tape Drive When running a backup the backup scan reports there is an estimated 32GB to ...

  1. Backup Scan and Estimated Total Bytes

    Hi, hope someone can help.

    We're running the following:

    Windows NT 4.0 (SP 5)
    Backup Exec 8.0 with Netware Agent
    Compaq DLT 15/30 GB Tape Drive

    When running a backup the backup scan reports there is an estimated 32GB
    to backup. This is approx. double the size of what actually exists. For
    this reason backups are failing everynight because BE says there isn't enough
    room on the tape. Is there a way I can get BE to read the correct amount
    of data, I have no idea where it is getting the extra 17GB as it certainly
    doesn't exist on the server.

    I have checked compression is on, the job is set up correctly and have reinstalled
    SCSI/tape drivers.

    Tell me I don't have to sit here for two weeks manually backing up on floppy
    disk!

  2. Re: Backup Scan and Estimated Total Bytes

    Go to your Text selections and make sure its only backing up what you want
    it to. The Graphical selections dont match all of the time!

    Good luck.

    "Sarah" wrote:

    >Hi, hope someone can help.
    >
    >We're running the following:
    >
    >Windows NT 4.0 (SP 5)
    >Backup Exec 8.0 with Netware Agent
    >Compaq DLT 15/30 GB Tape Drive
    >
    >When running a backup the backup scan reports there is an estimated 32GB
    >to backup. This is approx. double the size of what actually exists. For
    >this reason backups are failing everynight because BE says there isn't enough
    >room on the tape. Is there a way I can get BE to read the correct amount
    >of data, I have no idea where it is getting the extra 17GB as it certainly
    >doesn't exist on the server.
    >
    >I have checked compression is on, the job is set up correctly and have reinstalled
    >SCSI/tape drivers.
    >
    >Tell me I don't have to sit here for two weeks manually backing up on floppy
    >disk!
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

+ Reply to Thread