Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server - Veritas Backup Exec ; From what I can see there are a lot of people having this problem but I can't seem to find any answers. Is there anyone out there that knows how to solve this. The details are I have a 2000 ...

  1. Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    From what I can see there are a lot of people having this problem but I can't
    seem to find any answers. Is there anyone out there that knows how to solve
    this.
    The details are I have a 2000 Advanced server running BackupExec for 2000
    version 8.5 and I have the NT agent installed on another NT Server machine
    with SP6 installed. I've confirmed the services are all running, I've done
    the re-boot thing, I've also added the name of the remote server to my LMHOSTS
    file thinking it was a WINS issue. Nothing has worked so far. What is the
    problem and how do I fix it?

  2. Re: Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    Yes, we purchased the Remote Agent for NT/2000 3 pack.

    "Charles Villa" wrote:
    >Have you purchased a Remote Agent License? You need one for each remote
    >server you want to backup. Remote workstations are free.
    >--
    >Charles Villa
    >
    >http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    >Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  3. Re: Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    Have you purchased a Remote Agent License? You need one for each remote
    server you want to backup. Remote workstations are free.
    --
    Charles Villa

    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  4. Re: Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    Let me try to get a better handle on the problem.
    1) You can browse to the remote server from the BE server via Network
    neighborhood?
    2) You verified the BE agent service is running on the remote server
    3) You tried to browse for the remote server with the BE GUI under the
    'Entire Network' tree and didn't find it? Found it?
    4) If you found it, any shares displayed?
    5) Same domain?, same subnet?, any routers bridges in between?
    --
    Charles Villa

    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  5. Re: Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    1) I can get to the remote server under entire network no problem. I can
    map drives to the remote server, etc.
    2) The agent service is running on the remote machine and the agent browser
    service is running on my backup machine.
    3) I can browse to it via the entire network but it's greyed out so I can't
    select it.
    4) I can create user shares and can browse to them and select them but it
    fails when I go to back them up.
    5) Both machines are on the same domain, within the same subnet and connected
    to the same switch. Also we are running the old Windows NT domain and not
    Active directory.

    It's extremely weird.

    "Charles Villa" wrote:
    >Let me try to get a better handle on the problem.
    >1) You can browse to the remote server from the BE server via Network
    >neighborhood?
    >2) You verified the BE agent service is running on the remote server
    >3) You tried to browse for the remote server with the BE GUI under the
    >'Entire Network' tree and didn't find it? Found it?
    >4) If you found it, any shares displayed?
    >5) Same domain?, same subnet?, any routers bridges in between?
    >--
    >Charles Villa
    >
    >http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    >Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  6. Re: Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    If you do a Help/About from the GUI are all your agent licenses displayed?

    Have you uninstalled the agemt, booted, reinstalled and booted again? This
    seems to have worked for a few people.

    Frustrated wrote:

    > 1) I can get to the remote server under entire network no problem. I can
    > map drives to the remote server, etc.
    > 2) The agent service is running on the remote machine and the agent browser
    > service is running on my backup machine.
    > 3) I can browse to it via the entire network but it's greyed out so I can't
    > select it.
    > 4) I can create user shares and can browse to them and select them but it
    > fails when I go to back them up.
    > 5) Both machines are on the same domain, within the same subnet and connected
    > to the same switch. Also we are running the old Windows NT domain and not
    > Active directory.
    >
    > It's extremely weird.
    >
    > "Charles Villa" wrote:
    > >Let me try to get a better handle on the problem.
    > >1) You can browse to the remote server from the BE server via Network
    > >neighborhood?
    > >2) You verified the BE agent service is running on the remote server
    > >3) You tried to browse for the remote server with the BE GUI under the
    > >'Entire Network' tree and didn't find it? Found it?
    > >4) If you found it, any shares displayed?
    > >5) Same domain?, same subnet?, any routers bridges in between?
    > >--
    > >Charles Villa
    > >
    > >http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    > >Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  7. Re: Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    Hello,

    I had the same problem. Veritas "support" could not help. De/Reinstalled
    everything complete 3 times: did not work. Now installed another product
    - backing up the system is no more a problem.
    Thanx to Veritas support for not helping me - they just told me the "solutions"
    I've read on the website....

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >If you do a Help/About from the GUI are all your agent licenses displayed?
    >
    >Have you uninstalled the agemt, booted, reinstalled and booted again?

    This
    >seems to have worked for a few people.

  8. Re: Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    I had the same problem. I uninstall backup exec from the backup server and
    the agent from the remote. Reinstalled everything and it worked fine.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >If you do a Help/About from the GUI are all your agent licenses displayed?
    >
    >Have you uninstalled the agemt, booted, reinstalled and booted again?

    This
    >seems to have worked for a few people.
    >
    >Frustrated wrote:
    >
    >> 1) I can get to the remote server under entire network no problem. I

    can
    >> map drives to the remote server, etc.
    >> 2) The agent service is running on the remote machine and the agent browser
    >> service is running on my backup machine.
    >> 3) I can browse to it via the entire network but it's greyed out so I

    can't
    >> select it.
    >> 4) I can create user shares and can browse to them and select them but

    it
    >> fails when I go to back them up.
    >> 5) Both machines are on the same domain, within the same subnet and connected
    >> to the same switch. Also we are running the old Windows NT domain and

    not
    >> Active directory.
    >>
    >> It's extremely weird.
    >>
    >> "Charles Villa" wrote:
    >> >Let me try to get a better handle on the problem.
    >> >1) You can browse to the remote server from the BE server via Network
    >> >neighborhood?
    >> >2) You verified the BE agent service is running on the remote server
    >> >3) You tried to browse for the remote server with the BE GUI under the
    >> >'Entire Network' tree and didn't find it? Found it?
    >> >4) If you found it, any shares displayed?
    >> >5) Same domain?, same subnet?, any routers bridges in between?
    >> >--
    >> >Charles Villa
    >> >
    >> >http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    >> >Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  9. Re: Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    I am having the same problem and nothing I've tried works. i will go back
    to the older version of software for a quick solution then try another backup
    software. Veritas has been no help at all.

  10. Re: Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    You're right Wayne. Why is it that Veritas runs and hides from these obvious
    software glitches. If it wasn't for Ken Putnam helping me out I don't think
    I would have kept the product. We just purchased 8.5 and we used ArcserveIT
    for years. They are equally as unhelpful as Veritas.

    I guess we're all on our own. At least we can try to help each other.

    Frustrated

    "Wayne Courson" wrote:

    >I am having the same problem and nothing I've tried works. i will go back
    >to the older version of software for a quick solution then try another backup
    >software. Veritas has been no help at all.

  11. Re: Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    Were you successful? I didn't see a reply from you to Ken's message.
    --
    Charles Villa

    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  12. Re: Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    I have been going around and around with Veritas and DELL and No one seems
    to be able to help me! We bought the enterprize Suite of BENT/2000 v8.0.
    I have neen struggling now for s week! I installed both the Agent Accellerator
    and OFO on my NT servers I want access and I keep getting a License Violation!
    I must not have some S/N or something missing. All my Macs and NT workstations
    are backing up w/ no problem. Dell told us the edition we bought would backup
    all of our machines, INCLUDING NT SERVERS! Does anyone have any clue about
    what I can do? Did Dell lie to us?

    "Frustrated" wrote:

    >Yes, we purchased the Remote Agent for NT/2000 3 pack.
    >

    >"Charles Villa" wrote:
    >>Have you purchased a Remote Agent License? You need one for each remote
    >>server you want to backup. Remote workstations are free.
    >>--
    >>Charles Villa
    >>
    >>http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    >>Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  13. Re: Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    What license code did you buy, and what licenses are installed on the BE
    server (Help -> About). Don't post the actual numbers, just the text names.
    --
    Charles Villa

    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  14. Re: Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    If you are running AS on any of the remote servers, you need to have the AS version
    of BENT. the Server version will not connect.

    "Eric (VERY Frustrated)" wrote:

    > I have been going around and around with Veritas and DELL and No one seems
    > to be able to help me! We bought the enterprize Suite of BENT/2000 v8.0.
    > I have neen struggling now for s week! I installed both the Agent Accellerator
    > and OFO on my NT servers I want access and I keep getting a License Violation!
    > I must not have some S/N or something missing. All my Macs and NT workstations
    > are backing up w/ no problem. Dell told us the edition we bought would backup
    > all of our machines, INCLUDING NT SERVERS! Does anyone have any clue about
    > what I can do? Did Dell lie to us?
    >
    > "Frustrated" wrote:
    > >
    > >Yes, we purchased the Remote Agent for NT/2000 3 pack.
    > >

    > >"Charles Villa" wrote:
    > >>Have you purchased a Remote Agent License? You need one for each remote
    > >>server you want to backup. Remote workstations are free.
    > >>--
    > >>Charles Villa
    > >>
    > >>http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    > >>Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  15. Re: Remote Agent for NT/2000 not showing up on backup server

    Sorry, Just re-read your post, and my answer may not apply.

    Post copy of the exact error message. That should help us figure out what it's
    trying to tell you.

    "Eric (VERY Frustrated)" wrote:

    > I have been going around and around with Veritas and DELL and No one seems
    > to be able to help me! We bought the enterprize Suite of BENT/2000 v8.0.
    > I have neen struggling now for s week! I installed both the Agent Accellerator
    > and OFO on my NT servers I want access and I keep getting a License Violation!
    > I must not have some S/N or something missing. All my Macs and NT workstations
    > are backing up w/ no problem. Dell told us the edition we bought would backup
    > all of our machines, INCLUDING NT SERVERS! Does anyone have any clue about
    > what I can do? Did Dell lie to us?
    >
    > "Frustrated" wrote:
    > >
    > >Yes, we purchased the Remote Agent for NT/2000 3 pack.
    > >

    > >"Charles Villa" wrote:
    > >>Have you purchased a Remote Agent License? You need one for each remote
    > >>server you want to backup. Remote workstations are free.
    > >>--
    > >>Charles Villa
    > >>
    > >>http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    > >>Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

+ Reply to Thread