Remote Agent and Open File Option - not enough disk space - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote Agent and Open File Option - not enough disk space - Veritas Backup Exec ; using BE8.5 for 2000 I'm backing up two remote systems.. both have the RA and the OFO installed.. the OFO has a min of 200 and a max of 1000mb for the static vol. each has over 3 gb of ...

  1. Remote Agent and Open File Option - not enough disk space

    using BE8.5 for 2000

    I'm backing up two remote systems..

    both have the RA and the OFO installed..

    the OFO has a min of 200 and a max of 1000mb for the static vol.

    each has over 3 gb of diskspace free.

    unfortunately I get the following on each of the default admin shares.

    OFO: not enough disk space on device running OFO to create or increment the
    static volume.
    OFO: Initialization failure on: \\Server1name\C$

    (applies on \\server1name\E$, \\server2name\C$ etc)

    the job fails because of this..

    but a number of files in use aer backed up -

    anyone know why this is happening..

    mike

  2. Re: Remote Agent and Open File Option - not enough disk space

    "Mike Baker" wrote:

    Have you checked that your largest file does not exceed you max limit of
    1000 MB. This could happen if you have to backup large databases. OFO uses
    the static volume to store the whole backed up file temporarly, so your largest
    file has to fit in your static volume. The OFM from St. Bernhard will only
    store the changed information of the file and required disc space wille be
    very low.

    >using BE8.5 for 2000
    >
    >I'm backing up two remote systems..
    >
    >both have the RA and the OFO installed..
    >
    >the OFO has a min of 200 and a max of 1000mb for the static vol.
    >
    >each has over 3 gb of diskspace free.
    >
    >unfortunately I get the following on each of the default admin shares.
    >
    >OFO: not enough disk space on device running OFO to create or increment

    the
    >static volume.
    >OFO: Initialization failure on: \\Server1name\C$
    >
    >(applies on \\server1name\E$, \\server2name\C$ etc)
    >
    >the job fails because of this..
    >
    >but a number of files in use aer backed up -
    >
    >anyone know why this is happening..
    >

    >mike

  3. Re: Remote Agent and Open File Option - not enough disk space

    As a reminder, you shouldn't use any OFO type product on databases. You may
    end up with unusable backups. Either shutdown the database engine or use an
    appropriate agent.
    --
    Charles Villa

    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  4. Re: Remote Agent and Open File Option - not enough disk space

    we use oracle agent for the databases.. and backups work perfectly..

    the servers we have problems with are the 2nd tier - web servers, we haven't
    got files over 800mb insize..

    "Charles Villa" wrote in message
    > As a reminder, you shouldn't use any OFO type product on databases. You

    may
    > end up with unusable backups. Either shutdown the database engine or use

    an
    > appropriate agent.
    > --
    > Charles Villa
    >
    > http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    > Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  5. Re: Remote Agent and Open File Option - not enough disk space

    Sorry, but I don't actually use OFO, so I can't provide any detailed help.
    I just wanted to point out the database problem.
    --
    Charles Villa

    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  6. Re: Remote Agent and Open File Option - not enough disk space

    "Charles Villa" wrote:

    You are right, but if you are not able to shutdown the database during workdays
    and have no working agent, it would be a better idea to sync the whole filesystem
    rather than just one file (like OFO does). Also you always should make an
    off-line backup at the weekend.

    >As a reminder, you shouldn't use any OFO type product on databases. You

    may
    >end up with unusable backups. Either shutdown the database engine or use

    an
    >appropriate agent.
    >--
    >Charles Villa
    >
    >http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    >Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  7. Re: Remote Agent and Open File Option - not enough disk space

    How does one sync the entire file system? This is the problem. There is no
    guarantee that all the files involved in the database were frozen at the
    exact same time. If the log files and the store file(s) are from different
    time you can get either missing transactions or duplicated transactions.

    I wouldn't trust my data to something that may or may not work, or even
    worse something that seems to work but has silently damaged some data.

    If the database doesn't have a backup agent, it should at least have a dump
    to disk function that can be run while it is operating. Then you can get a
    file backup of the dump. If none of the on-line options (agent or dump) are
    available, then it's time to look at some other database software.
    --
    Charles Villa

    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

  8. Re: Remote Agent and Open File Option - not enough disk space

    "Charles Villa" wrote:

    Just to close this discussion i have to say that you are right.
    Ofcourse you have to test restore and backup if you use such a solution and
    if a agent is available use it!

    Syncing a complete file system must be handled by a service/driver that resides
    between application API-calls and OS and wait before syncing that no transactions
    are reqeusted. Than the driver has to store all write requests into a special
    filespace. After backup these changes must savely written/handeled by the
    OS. St Bernard OFM works this way.

    BTW i am very happy that i could backup my database with a proper agent.
    On the other hand i know about some very strange ERP-Systems with very strange
    databases ;-)

    >How does one sync the entire file system? This is the problem. There is

    no
    >guarantee that all the files involved in the database were frozen at the
    >exact same time. If the log files and the store file(s) are from different
    >time you can get either missing transactions or duplicated transactions.
    >
    >I wouldn't trust my data to something that may or may not work, or even
    >worse something that seems to work but has silently damaged some data.
    >
    >If the database doesn't have a backup agent, it should at least have a dump
    >to disk function that can be run while it is operating. Then you can get

    >file backup of the dump. If none of the on-line options (agent or dump)

    are
    >available, then it's time to look at some other database software.
    >--
    >Charles Villa
    >
    >http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    >Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

+ Reply to Thread