LIfe of a Tape? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on LIfe of a Tape? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Is there a way to find out the life of a tape or how much life it has before it dies?...

  1. LIfe of a Tape?

    Is there a way to find out the life of a tape or how much life it has before
    it dies?

  2. Re: LIfe of a Tape?

    On Tue, 8 May 2001 13:23:11 -0400, "Andrew"
    wrote:

    >Is there a way to find out the life of a tape or how much life it has before
    >it dies?

    Depending on vendor/tape type

    HP has a brilliant list on their website if you look for tape media
    specs, you will be able to look at how many passes a tape can endure,
    there is no function in BE to look at this but it will give you a
    general idea

  3. Re: LIfe of a Tape?

    According to conventional wisdom, DLT tapes have a shelf life of 20-30
    years. Temperature and moisture control are important. If either are
    changed, waiting for the tape to acclimatize is crucial. Storage on edge is
    recommended. Periodic retensioning is recommended (yearly?). I don't think
    there is a predictive failure diagnostic.
    Andrew wrote in message news:3af82a1e@hronntp01....
    > Is there a way to find out the life of a tape or how much life it has

    before
    > it dies?

+ Reply to Thread