Backup is using tapes out of slot range!!! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup is using tapes out of slot range!!! - Veritas Backup Exec ; On 2 of our backup servers, both running Backup Exec for Windows NT 7.3 build 2575, I have observed the following problem. The slots in the Autoloaders on these systems have been partitioned using PARTUTIL.EXE. Some of the partitions are ...

  1. Backup is using tapes out of slot range!!!

    On 2 of our backup servers, both running Backup Exec for Windows NT 7.3 build
    2575, I have observed the following problem.

    The slots in the Autoloaders on these systems have been partitioned using
    PARTUTIL.EXE. Some of the partitions are 2 or 3 slots in length. We do
    this because we want the backups of specific servers to go to specific (pre-labeled)
    tapes, which will be retained for varying durations and which are stored
    in both offsite and onsite locations.

    In one example, a partition is defined for slots 5 and 6. The backup job
    loads from slot 6. When the end of the tape is reached, the message: Warning
    ... A library operation has been attempted that is invalid at this time ...
    The media provided to continue the backup already contains data from one
    or more sets created during this operation. The operation can not be continued.

    In another example, a partition was defined for slots 5, 6 and 7. When the
    backup job runs, the tape in either slot 5, 6 or 7 will be loaded. When
    the backup job reaches the end of the first tape, often a tape from *** slot
    1 *** will be loaded and used.

    Therefore, in the 2nd example, the backup job is overlaying other production
    data and has been for quite some time.

    I don't know how long this has been going on for us, but this is a serious
    problem.

    Is this a known problem in Backup Exec and is there a way to correct it?

  2. Re: Backup is using tapes out of slot range!!!

    Replies inline

    Thomas Ashby wrote:

    > On 2 of our backup servers, both running Backup Exec for Windows NT 7.3 build
    > 2575, I have observed the following problem.
    >
    > The slots in the Autoloaders on these systems have been partitioned using
    > PARTUTIL.EXE. Some of the partitions are 2 or 3 slots in length. We do
    > this because we want the backups of specific servers to go to specific (pre-labeled)
    > tapes, which will be retained for varying durations and which are stored
    > in both offsite and onsite locations.
    >
    > In one example, a partition is defined for slots 5 and 6. The backup job
    > loads from slot 6. When the end of the tape is reached, the message: Warning
    > .. A library operation has been attempted that is invalid at this time ...
    > The media provided to continue the backup already contains data from one
    > or more sets created during this operation. The operation can not be continued.

    Because it grabbed the last slot first, it can't continue.

    It may be a pain for a while, but when you swap magazines, re-label the tapes in each
    partition, starting with the lowest numbered slot. BENT uses the "oldest" scratch tape
    that it can find first. By re-labeling this way, the first slot should be the oldest
    tape.

    Once you have done this for a complete rotation of tapes, BENT should then continue OK.

    > In another example, a partition was defined for slots 5, 6 and 7. When the
    > backup job runs, the tape in either slot 5, 6 or 7 will be loaded. When
    > the backup job reaches the end of the first tape, often a tape from *** slot
    > 1 *** will be loaded and used.
    >
    > Therefore, in the 2nd example, the backup job is overlaying other production
    > data and has been for quite some time.

    I have no idea why it's grabing a slot out of the partition, but if you hve your media
    set properties defined correctly, the job should pause and ask for a scratch tape, not
    overwrite another valid backup.

    > I don't know how long this has been going on for us, but this is a serious
    > problem.
    >
    > Is this a known problem in Backup Exec and is there a way to correct it?

  3. Re: Backup is using tapes out of slot range!!!

    Ken,

    Thanks for responding. I checked the backup logs and determined that in
    some cases, the backup job did successfully load the 2nd tape from a lower
    numbered slot in the correct partition. In the 2-slot example, the only
    2 tapes in the autoloader were in the 5-6 slot partition, so that may be
    the reason it failed.

    Tom

+ Reply to Thread