how can i restore a mailbox - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on how can i restore a mailbox - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am having trouble restoring an individual mailbox. How do i do it? I click on the bacup exec assistand and it prompts me to back up the whole information store. I do not want to do this, i just ...

  1. how can i restore a mailbox

    I am having trouble restoring an individual mailbox. How do i do it?
    I click on the bacup exec assistand and it prompts me to back up the whole
    information store. I do not want to do this, i just want to back up the individual
    mailbox.
    Can someone please help. I am running exchange 5.5 on an nt 4.0 server sp
    4 . I have the 8.5 backup exec.
    Many thanks,

    Alexis C

  2. Re: how can i restore a mailbox

    "Alexis Crawford" wrote:

    >I am having trouble restoring an individual mailbox. How do i do it?
    >I click on the bacup exec assistand and it prompts me to back up the whole
    >information store. I do not want to do this, i just want to back up the

    individual
    >mailbox.
    >Can someone please help. I am running exchange 5.5 on an nt 4.0 server

    sp
    >4 . I have the 8.5 backup exec.
    >Many thanks,
    >
    >Alexis C

    Alexis:

    First of all you will have to have the exchange agent installed on the backup
    server with Veritas 8.5.
    If you didn't select individual mailboxes when backing up initially, you
    won't be able to restore a individual mailbox. When making your backup selections,
    make sure you pick both info stores (pub and priv) and also select individual
    mailboxes. You will be prompted for an ID and password (use the one you
    created when installing 8.5).

    There are some pros and cons about backing up mailboxes. One of the biggest
    is that it "could" lead to info store corruption. Another is that the backup
    jobs will take a lot longer now. It is probably best to use the Item retention/deletion
    setting within exchange 5.5 and set it approiately. That way if someone
    deletes their mailbox, they can recover it later.

  3. Re: how can i restore a mailbox

    Thank you very much.

    "Steve Schroeder" wrote:

    >"Alexis Crawford" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am having trouble restoring an individual mailbox. How do i do it?
    >>I click on the bacup exec assistand and it prompts me to back up the whole
    >>information store. I do not want to do this, i just want to back up the

    >individual
    >>mailbox.
    >>Can someone please help. I am running exchange 5.5 on an nt 4.0 server

    >sp
    >>4 . I have the 8.5 backup exec.
    >>Many thanks,
    >>
    >>Alexis C

    >Alexis:
    >
    >First of all you will have to have the exchange agent installed on the backup
    >server with Veritas 8.5.
    >If you didn't select individual mailboxes when backing up initially, you
    >won't be able to restore a individual mailbox. When making your backup

    selections,
    >make sure you pick both info stores (pub and priv) and also select individual
    >mailboxes. You will be prompted for an ID and password (use the one you
    >created when installing 8.5).
    >
    >There are some pros and cons about backing up mailboxes. One of the biggest
    >is that it "could" lead to info store corruption. Another is that the backup
    >jobs will take a lot longer now. It is probably best to use the Item retention/deletion
    >setting within exchange 5.5 and set it approiately. That way if someone
    >deletes their mailbox, they can recover it later.

  4. Re: how can i restore a mailbox

    In addition to Steve's comments, see Charles Villa's rant against BLBs at
    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm fort more on the evils of BLBs. The page also
    contains some good Exchange Resource links

    If you decide that you really do want to do BLBs, see
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190937.htm for step-by-step instructions.

    Alexis Crawford wrote:

    > I am having trouble restoring an individual mailbox. How do i do it?
    > I click on the bacup exec assistand and it prompts me to back up the whole
    > information store. I do not want to do this, i just want to back up the individual
    > mailbox.
    > Can someone please help. I am running exchange 5.5 on an nt 4.0 server sp
    > 4 . I have the 8.5 backup exec.
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Alexis C

+ Reply to Thread