named pipe error backing up SQL2000 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on named pipe error backing up SQL2000 - Veritas Backup Exec ; BE reports this error when I try to back up a SQL2000 database: Cannot open backup device '\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{...' The SQL server is not on the same machine as BE. I see this message in the documentation: "If you encounter problems... ...

  1. named pipe error backing up SQL2000

    BE reports this error when I try to back up a SQL2000 database:

    Cannot open backup device '\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{...'

    The SQL server is not on the same machine as BE.

    I see this message in the documentation:
    "If you encounter problems... it may be due to a combination of Windows NT/2000
    security behavior and the Microsoft SQL Server client configuration on the
    backup server being set up to use Named Pipes." which seems to relate to
    my problem.

    But that's the full extent of information on this problem anywhere, including
    the Veritas knowledge base. I can't figure out what is meant by "client
    configuration" in the above paragraph.

    Any clues or help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: named pipe error backing up SQL2000

    Your BENT box must have, at a minimum, the SQL Client Connectivity
    components installed from the SQL2000 CD. I prefer to install Enterprise
    Manager and Query Analyzer, in addition to the network componennts. You can
    install all of the client components. That will create a folder and
    shortcuts to do things like setting up the client configuration.

    If your SQL2000 box has multiple instances of SQL 2000, you will have to
    create an alias to the non-default instance on the BENT box. Be sure to
    check connectivity with the appropriate login information through Enterprise
    Manager or Query Analyzer.

    Alex

    "Daniel Billingsley" wrote in message

    > BE reports this error when I try to back up a SQL2000 database:
    >
    > Cannot open backup device '\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{...'
    >
    > The SQL server is not on the same machine as BE.
    >
    > I see this message in the documentation:
    > "If you encounter problems... it may be due to a combination of Windows

    NT/2000
    > security behavior and the Microsoft SQL Server client configuration on the
    > backup server being set up to use Named Pipes." which seems to relate to
    > my problem.
    >
    > But that's the full extent of information on this problem anywhere,

    including
    > the Veritas knowledge base. I can't figure out what is meant by "client
    > configuration" in the above paragraph.
    >
    > Any clues or help would be greatly appreciated.

  3. Re: named pipe error backing up SQL2000

    I get the same exact error on a Win2k/ SQL2k cluster. The strange part is
    that I know it's not my BENT server because I can successfully backup one
    of the servers in the cluster fine but the other will not. They're exactly
    the same server with exactly the same software and configuration. When I
    move both DB's to the same server (the one BENT backs up) in the cluster
    then both DB's back up fine. I'm sure it's a problem with the one server
    in the cluster that won't back up. I've tried messing with the named pipes
    and TCP/IP connection settings for SQL and haven't made any progress. Any
    info would be helpful.

    "Daniel Billingsley" wrote:

    >BE reports this error when I try to back up a SQL2000 database:
    >
    >Cannot open backup device '\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{...'
    >
    >The SQL server is not on the same machine as BE.
    >
    >I see this message in the documentation:
    >"If you encounter problems... it may be due to a combination of Windows

    NT/2000
    >security behavior and the Microsoft SQL Server client configuration on the
    >backup server being set up to use Named Pipes." which seems to relate

    >my problem.
    >
    >But that's the full extent of information on this problem anywhere, including
    >the Veritas knowledge base. I can't figure out what is meant by "client
    >configuration" in the above paragraph.
    >
    >Any clues or help would be greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread