drive is not responding - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on drive is not responding - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have stiss this error in the backup. The server ORWELL is an UNIX agent. y'm using backup exec 8.5 in nt4 serveur. What is the solution. Media Name: "Media created 4/20/01 09:00:05 PM" Backup of "ORWELL/root " Backup set ...

  1. drive is not responding

    I have stiss this error in the backup.

    The server ORWELL is an UNIX agent. y'm using backup exec 8.5 in nt4 serveur.

    What is the solution.

    Media Name: "Media created 4/20/01 09:00:05 PM"
    Backup of "ORWELL/root "
    Backup set #34 on storage media #3
    Backup set description: "Backup 0003"
    Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 4/23/01 at 3:39:21 AM.
    Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Backup completed on 4/23/01 at 3:48:49 AM.
    Backed up 24291 files in 2326 directories.
    Processed 611,393,895 bytes in 9 minutes and 28 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 61.6 MB/min

  2. Re: drive is not responding

    "Benoit Strub" wrote in message

    > I have stiss this error in the backup.
    >
    > The server ORWELL is an UNIX agent. y'm using backup exec 8.5 in nt4

    serveur.

    > What is the solution.
    >
    > Media Name: "Media created 4/20/01 09:00:05 PM"
    > Backup of "ORWELL/root "
    > Backup set #34 on storage media #3
    > Backup set description: "Backup 0003"
    > Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    > Backup started on 4/23/01 at 3:39:21 AM.
    > Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    > Backup completed on 4/23/01 at 3:48:49 AM.
    > Backed up 24291 files in 2326 directories.
    > Processed 611,393,895 bytes in 9 minutes and 28 seconds.
    > Throughput rate: 61.6 MB/min

    I too am researching the cause of a 'Drive is not responding' error, which
    has been present since 30/3/01 on one drive of one server. I am using BENT
    8.0 on a NT 4.0 server and the drive in question is on another NT 4.0
    server. Searching the knowledge base at http://support.veritas.com/ gives 6
    items for 'Drive is not responding' , 5 of which refer to Exchange, which we
    do not use, and the other to backing up W9x registry entries, which does not
    apply. Other drives on the same server back up OK, and the offending drive
    was fine up to the 29th March. This probably won't assist Benoit, but as far
    as I can see, the change on our server on 30th March was that IIS was
    installed. Does anybody else have any experience of this error, please?

  3. Re: drive is not responding

    "David Martin" wrote in message
    > "Benoit Strub" wrote in message
    > >
    > > I have stiss this error in the backup.
    > >
    > > The server ORWELL is an UNIX agent. y'm using backup exec 8.5 in nt4

    > serveur.
    > >

    > > What is the solution.
    > >
    > > Media Name: "Media created 4/20/01 09:00:05 PM"
    > > Backup of "ORWELL/root "
    > > Backup set #34 on storage media #3
    > > Backup set description: "Backup 0003"
    > > Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    > > Backup started on 4/23/01 at 3:39:21 AM.
    > > Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > >
    > > Backup completed on 4/23/01 at 3:48:49 AM.
    > > Backed up 24291 files in 2326 directories.
    > > Processed 611,393,895 bytes in 9 minutes and 28 seconds.
    > > Throughput rate: 61.6 MB/min
    > >

    > I too am researching the cause of a 'Drive is not responding' error, which
    > has been present since 30/3/01 on one drive of one server. I am using BENT
    > 8.0 on a NT 4.0 server and the drive in question is on another NT 4.0
    > server. Searching the knowledge base at http://support.veritas.com/ gives

    6
    > items for 'Drive is not responding' , 5 of which refer to Exchange, which

    we
    > do not use, and the other to backing up W9x registry entries, which does

    not
    > apply. Other drives on the same server back up OK, and the offending drive
    > was fine up to the 29th March. This probably won't assist Benoit, but as

    far
    > as I can see, the change on our server on 30th March was that IIS was
    > installed. Does anybody else have any experience of this error, please?

    Further research this morning has narrowed the cause of this error to a
    single file. If you look at Restore Selections for a failed backup of the
    drive in question, it marks failed folders with a red X; expand such folders
    until you reach the lowest level, then you will find a failed file marked
    with a red X; after this no further files on that drive have been backed up.
    However, I could provoke a 'Drive not responding' error when I attempted to
    back up the whole folder, and have a successful backup when I excluded that
    one file, but I have just confounded myself by successfully backing up that
    file by itself. Perhaps it's time to start worrying about the disk.

  4. Re: drive is not responding

    "David Martin" wrote:

    >"David Martin" wrote in message
    >> "Benoit Strub" wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > I have stiss this error in the backup.
    >> >
    >> > The server ORWELL is an UNIX agent. y'm using backup exec 8.5 in nt4

    >> serveur.
    >> >

    >> > What is the solution.
    >> >
    >> > Media Name: "Media created 4/20/01 09:00:05 PM"
    >> > Backup of "ORWELL/root "
    >> > Backup set #34 on storage media #3
    >> > Backup set description: "Backup 0003"
    >> > Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    >> > Backup started on 4/23/01 at 3:39:21 AM.
    >> > Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.
    >> > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >> >
    >> > Backup completed on 4/23/01 at 3:48:49 AM.
    >> > Backed up 24291 files in 2326 directories.
    >> > Processed 611,393,895 bytes in 9 minutes and 28 seconds.
    >> > Throughput rate: 61.6 MB/min
    >> >

    >> I too am researching the cause of a 'Drive is not responding' error, which
    >> has been present since 30/3/01 on one drive of one server. I am using

    BENT
    >> 8.0 on a NT 4.0 server and the drive in question is on another NT 4.0
    >> server. Searching the knowledge base at http://support.veritas.com/ gives

    >6
    >> items for 'Drive is not responding' , 5 of which refer to Exchange, which

    >we
    >> do not use, and the other to backing up W9x registry entries, which does

    >not
    >> apply. Other drives on the same server back up OK, and the offending drive
    >> was fine up to the 29th March. This probably won't assist Benoit, but

    as
    >far
    >> as I can see, the change on our server on 30th March was that IIS was
    >> installed. Does anybody else have any experience of this error, please?
    >>

    >Further research this morning has narrowed the cause of this error to a
    >single file. If you look at Restore Selections for a failed backup of the
    >drive in question, it marks failed folders with a red X; expand such folders
    >until you reach the lowest level, then you will find a failed file marked
    >with a red X; after this no further files on that drive have been backed

    up.
    >However, I could provoke a 'Drive not responding' error when I attempted

    >back up the whole folder, and have a successful backup when I excluded that
    >one file, but I have just confounded myself by successfully backing up that
    >file by itself. Perhaps it's time to start worrying about the disk.

    I too get this error, using BENT 8.0, Build 3316 with MediaFix installed,
    against a Win2000 member server, with same level agent installed, BUT ONLY
    WHEN I PERFORM A FULL BACKUP. Differentials work fine. The target server
    (Which tech support
    indicates is the side of the problem) is a Gigahertz dual-processor, with
    2 gig RAM and 30% of a 100gig harddrive available.
    The BENT Service account has full local admin rights to the box and all drive
    areas. Servers and agents have been reinstalled/rebooted to no effect.
    It DOES NOT stop at the same point in the backup. Please call me at 801-238-6724
    or email me
    with your thoughts. Thanks

  5. Re: drive is not responding

    "Benoit Strub" wrote:

    >I have stiss this error in the backup.
    >
    >The server ORWELL is an UNIX agent. y'm using backup exec 8.5 in nt4 serveur.
    >

    >What is the solution.
    >
    >Media Name: "Media created 4/20/01 09:00:05 PM"
    >Backup of "ORWELL/root "
    >Backup set #34 on storage media #3
    >Backup set description: "Backup 0003"
    >Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    >Backup started on 4/23/01 at 3:39:21 AM.
    >Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    >Backup completed on 4/23/01 at 3:48:49 AM.
    >Backed up 24291 files in 2326 directories.
    >Processed 611,393,895 bytes in 9 minutes and 28 seconds.
    >Throughput rate: 61.6 MB/min

    Same as yours... LEIA has an UNIX AGENT... If I change the included directories
    it hangs again at different filesystem places... Please, email me if you
    find something useful. Thanks.

    Media Name: "Media created 09/05/2001 04:00:04 "
    Backup of "LEIA/root "
    Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "Backup LEIA no export"
    Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 09/05/2001 at 8:42:53 .
    Directory /
    Directory /.dt
    Directory /.dt/sessions
    Directory /.dt/tmp
    Directory /.dt/types
    Directory /.netscape
    Directory /TT_DB
    Directory /cdrom
    Directory /cdrom/devpro_v7n1_sparc
    Directory /emx
    Directory /emx/lpfc.1
    Directory /emx/lpfc.1/install
    Directory /emx/lpfc.1/reloc
    Directory /emx/lpfc.1/reloc/$KERNDIR
    Directory /emx/lpfc.1/reloc/$KERNDIR/sparcv9
    Directory /emx/lpfc.1/reloc/$MANDIR
    Directory /emx/lpfc.1/reloc/etc
    Directory /emx/lpfc.1/reloc/kernel
    Directory /emx/lpfc.1/reloc/kernel/drv
    Directory /emx/lpfc.1/reloc/usr
    Directory /emx/lpfc.1/reloc/usr/include
    Directory /emx/lpfc.1/reloc/usr/lib
    Directory /emx/lpfc.1/reloc/usr/sbin
    Directory /emx/lpfc.1/reloc/usr/sbin/lpfc
    Directory /etc
    Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

  6. Re: drive is not responding

    "Tim Swindells" wrote:

    >"David Martin" wrote:
    >>
    >>"David Martin" wrote in message
    >>> "Benoit Strub" wrote in message

    >>> serveur.

    >>> I too am researching the cause of a 'Drive is not responding' error,

    which
    >>> has been present since 30/3/01 on one drive of one server. I am using

    >BENT
    >>> 8.0 on a NT 4.0 server and the drive in question is on another NT 4.0
    >>> server. Searching the knowledge base at http://support.veritas.com/ gives

    >>6
    >>> items for 'Drive is not responding' , 5 of which refer to Exchange, which

    >>we
    >>> do not use, and the other to backing up W9x registry entries, which does

    >>not
    >>> apply. Other drives on the same server back up OK, and the offending

    drive
    >>> was fine up to the 29th March. This probably won't assist Benoit, but

    >as
    >>far
    >>> as I can see, the change on our server on 30th March was that IIS was
    >>> installed. Does anybody else have any experience of this error, please?
    >>>

    >>Further research this morning has narrowed the cause of this error to a
    >>single file. If you look at Restore Selections for a failed backup of the
    >>drive in question, it marks failed folders with a red X; expand such folders
    >>until you reach the lowest level, then you will find a failed file marked
    >>with a red X; after this no further files on that drive have been backed

    >up.
    >>However, I could provoke a 'Drive not responding' error when I attempted

    >>back up the whole folder, and have a successful backup when I excluded

    that
    >>one file, but I have just confounded myself by successfully backing up

    that
    >>file by itself. Perhaps it's time to start worrying about the disk.
    >>

    >I too get this error, using BENT 8.0, Build 3316 with MediaFix installed,
    >against a Win2000 member server, with same level agent installed, BUT ONLY
    >WHEN I PERFORM A FULL BACKUP. Differentials work fine. The target server
    >(Which tech support
    >indicates is the side of the problem) is a Gigahertz dual-processor, with
    >2 gig RAM and 30% of a 100gig harddrive available.
    >The BENT Service account has full local admin rights to the box and all

    drive
    >areas. Servers and agents have been reinstalled/rebooted to no effect.

    >It DOES NOT stop at the same point in the backup. Please call me at 801-238-6724
    >or email me
    >with your thoughts. Thanks

    I am having a very similar problem with BE 7.3 on NT4.0
    servers. The backup fails with the infamous 'drive not
    responding' message at about the same but not exactly the same
    place in the backup. Veritas suggests that it's a network problem but I
    don't understand why a NORMAL backup fails while INCREMENTAL backups do just
    fine. Also, this error starting to happen after a year of backing up the
    same boxes with no errors.

    Any help on this would be great.

    Thanks,

    frank

  7. Re: drive is not responding

    I see that I am not the only one. We have a mixed NT4/NT2K/NW4.11/NW5.1
    with NT4 as the primary. We are utilizing an ADIC Scalar 218 with
    dual DLT7000 drives. The backups have been working fine. Then,
    all of a sudden, we started having this error on all NT backups since
    May 25. The strange thing about it is that each time the error
    came, it happened only once on each NT job on one partition and
    a different partition each time. So far it has not been the same
    partition yet. In addition, it also happened on one of the Netware
    jobs and, again, on only one partition for the entire job.
    Because of this I feel that it has to be a time-out issue but I
    have no idea where that issue would begin.
    As an additional note, we do only full backups each night and are
    using the OFO on the NT Servers and the Oracle agent on 3 servers.
    Does this additional information bring any new ideas? Please e-mail
    me directly as well if you have any input.

    "frank story" wrote:

    >"Tim Swindells" wrote:
    >>
    >>"David Martin" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>"David Martin" wrote in message

    >which

    >>BENT

    gives
    >>>6

    which
    >>>we

    does
    >>>not

    >drive

    >>as
    >>>far
    >>>>

    >>>Further research this morning has narrowed the cause of this error to

    >>>single file. If you look at Restore Selections for a failed backup of

    the
    >>>drive in question, it marks failed folders with a red X; expand such folders
    >>>until you reach the lowest level, then you will find a failed file marked
    >>>with a red X; after this no further files on that drive have been backed

    >>up.
    >>>However, I could provoke a 'Drive not responding' error when I attempted

    >>>back up the whole folder, and have a successful backup when I excluded

    >that
    >>>one file, but I have just confounded myself by successfully backing up

    >that
    >>>file by itself. Perhaps it's time to start worrying about the disk.
    >>>

    >>I too get this error, using BENT 8.0, Build 3316 with MediaFix installed,
    >>against a Win2000 member server, with same level agent installed, BUT ONLY
    >>WHEN I PERFORM A FULL BACKUP. Differentials work fine. The target server
    >>(Which tech support
    >>indicates is the side of the problem) is a Gigahertz dual-processor, with
    >>2 gig RAM and 30% of a 100gig harddrive available.
    >>The BENT Service account has full local admin rights to the box and all

    >drive
    >>areas. Servers and agents have been reinstalled/rebooted to no effect.

    >>It DOES NOT stop at the same point in the backup. Please call me at 801-238-6724
    >>or email me
    >>with your thoughts. Thanks
    >>

    >I am having a very similar problem with BE 7.3 on NT4.0
    >servers. The backup fails with the infamous 'drive not
    >responding' message at about the same but not exactly the same
    >place in the backup. Veritas suggests that it's a network problem but I
    >don't understand why a NORMAL backup fails while INCREMENTAL backups do

    just
    >fine. Also, this error starting to happen after a year of backing up the
    >same boxes with no errors.
    >
    >Any help on this would be great.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >frank

  8. Re: drive is not responding

    "frank story" wrote:

    >"Tim Swindells" wrote:
    >>
    >>"David Martin" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>"David Martin" wrote in message

    >which

    >>BENT

    gives
    >>>6

    which
    >>>we

    does
    >>>not

    >drive

    >>as
    >>>far
    >>>>

    >>>Further research this morning has narrowed the cause of this error to

    >>>single file. If you look at Restore Selections for a failed backup of

    the
    >>>drive in question, it marks failed folders with a red X; expand such folders
    >>>until you reach the lowest level, then you will find a failed file marked
    >>>with a red X; after this no further files on that drive have been backed

    >>up.
    >>>However, I could provoke a 'Drive not responding' error when I attempted

    >>>back up the whole folder, and have a successful backup when I excluded

    >that
    >>>one file, but I have just confounded myself by successfully backing up

    >that
    >>>file by itself. Perhaps it's time to start worrying about the disk.
    >>>

    >>I too get this error, using BENT 8.0, Build 3316 with MediaFix installed,
    >>against a Win2000 member server, with same level agent installed, BUT ONLY
    >>WHEN I PERFORM A FULL BACKUP. Differentials work fine. The target server
    >>(Which tech support
    >>indicates is the side of the problem) is a Gigahertz dual-processor, with
    >>2 gig RAM and 30% of a 100gig harddrive available.
    >>The BENT Service account has full local admin rights to the box and all

    >drive
    >>areas. Servers and agents have been reinstalled/rebooted to no effect.

    >>It DOES NOT stop at the same point in the backup. Please call me at 801-238-6724
    >>or email me
    >>with your thoughts. Thanks
    >>

    >I am having a very similar problem with BE 7.3 on NT4.0
    >servers. The backup fails with the infamous 'drive not
    >responding' message at about the same but not exactly the same
    >place in the backup. Veritas suggests that it's a network problem but I
    >don't understand why a NORMAL backup fails while INCREMENTAL backups do

    just
    >fine. Also, this error starting to happen after a year of backing up the
    >same boxes with no errors.
    >
    >Any help on this would be great.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >frank

    I too am failing backups with "Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted."
    This only recently started happening (In the last week) but now every one
    of my jobs fails. My backup server is a Windows 2000 Server machine backing
    up Windows 2000 Professional workstations, a straight configuration with
    no Exchange or anything like that. The problem is only encountered during
    full backups. This really is ridiculous .. I can't do any backups!

  9. Re: drive is not responding

    Try this.

    -Louise
    "Nick Milianes" wrote in message

    > "frank story" wrote:

    nt4

    > >which
    > >>BENT

    > gives

    > which

    > does

    > >drive
    > >>as

    please?

    > the

    folders

    marked

    backed
    > >>up.

    attempted

    > >that

    > >that
    > >>>

    > >>I too get this error, using BENT 8.0, Build 3316 with MediaFix

    installed,
    > >>against a Win2000 member server, with same level agent installed, BUT

    ONLY
    > >>WHEN I PERFORM A FULL BACKUP. Differentials work fine. The target

    server
    > >>(Which tech support
    > >>indicates is the side of the problem) is a Gigahertz dual-processor,

    with
    > >>2 gig RAM and 30% of a 100gig harddrive available.
    > >>The BENT Service account has full local admin rights to the box and all

    > >drive
    > >>areas. Servers and agents have been reinstalled/rebooted to no effect.

    > >>It DOES NOT stop at the same point in the backup. Please call me at

    801-238-6724
    > >>or email me
    > >>with your thoughts. Thanks
    > >>

    > >I am having a very similar problem with BE 7.3 on NT4.0
    > >servers. The backup fails with the infamous 'drive not
    > >responding' message at about the same but not exactly the same
    > >place in the backup. Veritas suggests that it's a network problem but I
    > >don't understand why a NORMAL backup fails while INCREMENTAL backups do

    > just
    > >fine. Also, this error starting to happen after a year of backing up the
    > >same boxes with no errors.
    > >
    > >Any help on this would be great.
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >
    > >frank
    > >

    > I too am failing backups with "Drive is not responding. Backup set

    aborted."
    > This only recently started happening (In the last week) but now every one
    > of my jobs fails. My backup server is a Windows 2000 Server machine

    backing
    > up Windows 2000 Professional workstations, a straight configuration with
    > no Exchange or anything like that. The problem is only encountered during
    > full backups. This really is ridiculous .. I can't do any backups!

+ Reply to Thread