Getting rid of "Overwrite Prompts" for Full backups - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Getting rid of "Overwrite Prompts" for Full backups - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, Simple question concerning make tape overwrites automatic. I had done this at a previous job, know it is possible, but have "forgotten" what I did to do it. I have a manual schedule set up to allow for 30 ...

  1. Getting rid of "Overwrite Prompts" for Full backups

    Hello,
    Simple question concerning make tape overwrites automatic.
    I had done this at a previous job, know it is possible, but have "forgotten"
    what I did to do it.
    I have a manual schedule set up to allow for 30 archive of information.
    Four weekly full backups performed on Fri, with differentials to the same
    tapes appended Mon-Thurs. The problem began when the first weeks tape (WK1)
    was to be recycled after the first 4 week cycle ended. The program came
    up with a prompt requesting permission to overwrite the tape; respond ok.
    The problem with this is that no one is here to do that, as the backup time
    is set to start on Fri @ 8:30PM. I have tried all possible variations of
    cancelling the overwrite protection function for these 4 media tapes. The
    following information applies to my current setup:
    1. Options/Media Overwrite - Protection level set to none, box for prompting
    prior to overwrite in UNCHECKED.
    2. Under each weekly job definition, Job is normal, and overwrite media button
    is checked.
    3. Under Media tab, all tapes in media set have Overwrite Protection Time
    Left adjusted to NONE.

    Any help or information on this would be greatly appreciated.
    R,
    Bryan Coleman, CNE5

    PS Pls to post a copy of replies (if possible) to:
    bryan_coleman@eu.odedodea.edu

  2. Re: Getting rid of "Overwrite Prompts" for Full backups

    try setting your overwrite from None to partial with the prompt Unchecked.
    see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234623.htm

    "Bryan Coleman" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >Simple question concerning make tape overwrites automatic.
    >I had done this at a previous job, know it is possible, but have "forgotten"
    >what I did to do it.
    >I have a manual schedule set up to allow for 30 archive of information.

    >Four weekly full backups performed on Fri, with differentials to the same
    >tapes appended Mon-Thurs. The problem began when the first weeks tape (WK1)
    >was to be recycled after the first 4 week cycle ended. The program came
    >up with a prompt requesting permission to overwrite the tape; respond ok.
    >The problem with this is that no one is here to do that, as the backup time
    >is set to start on Fri @ 8:30PM. I have tried all possible variations of
    >cancelling the overwrite protection function for these 4 media tapes. The
    >following information applies to my current setup:
    >1. Options/Media Overwrite - Protection level set to none, box for prompting
    >prior to overwrite in UNCHECKED.
    >2. Under each weekly job definition, Job is normal, and overwrite media

    button
    >is checked.
    >3. Under Media tab, all tapes in media set have Overwrite Protection Time
    >Left adjusted to NONE.
    >
    >Any help or information on this would be greatly appreciated.
    >R,
    >Bryan Coleman, CNE5
    >
    >PS Pls to post a copy of replies (if possible) to:
    >bryan_coleman@eu.odedodea.edu

+ Reply to Thread