Im Going out of my mind - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Im Going out of my mind - Veritas Backup Exec ; for step-by-step instructions see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190937.htm or the Admin Guide Oren Zippori wrote: > man im going out of my mind > > have been dealing with the backupexec 8.5 singel mailbox backup for a week > now > and i ...

  1. Re: Im Going out of my mind

    for step-by-step instructions see
    or the Admin Guide

    Oren Zippori wrote:

    > man im going out of my mind
    >
    > have been dealing with the backupexec 8.5 singel mailbox backup for a week
    > now
    > and i haven't found out how to solve it
    > i read this newsgroup and found that other ppl have the same problem
    > i have read every artical on the matter TechNote ID : 234334 ; 190937
    > i'v install a freash win2k exchange 2000 server and boom the same problem
    > i made a address list that only shows the backupexec user and nothing it
    > pass throw it
    >
    > this thing is becoming very anoying for some thing that doesn't suppose to
    > be hard to configure. why doesn't VERITAS post some walkthrow for installing
    > exchange agent
    > man CA agent is more easy to use.... please post to this e-mail if you have
    > the same problem
    >
    > oren zippori
    > team computers

  2. Im Going out of my mind

[...]

  3. Re: Im Going out of my mind

    > for step-by-step instructions see
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190937.htm

    this isn't working every time! for e.g. if a user is logged on named "user1"
    and my backup exec account is "bkupuser". i create a job as user1 and hope
    this will be executed as bkupuser, but it isn't. now i need to log on as
    bkupuser start the backup exec by hand and create the job. and befor i can
    run the job successfull i need to touch one time BEVOR creating the job the
    Exchange Mailboxes. sometimes there come the popup for a maiolbox. i give
    him the bkupuser and the popup repop up. i cannot connect to the mailboxes.
    in this situation i need to restart the BE services to ged rid of this!
    suxxxx. after one suxessfull browsing true the Mailboxes the backup will run
    without problems. but i don't know what is going on when this is not a user
    initiated backup (today not tested). the problems don't let me test this...
    help is realy needed!

    Alex

  4. Re: Im Going out of my mind

    hm. i create a job to start in future (5min from now). stop all BE services
    and restart them. and now the exchange backup is running...?!!? the
    backupexec useraccount is member of Admin, Domain-Admin, and Exchange
    Service... try out. today is me 3 day in testing... and the first that
    should be looking successfull... later in this day i will know...

    the real problem i mean is - how to configure a backup job to execute with a
    account i will tell BE... like in "Task Scheduler". there i can specify -
    execute with bkupuser for e.g. ?

    Alex

  5. Re: Im Going out of my mind

    from the backup selection pane, Network drop down menum select "default attach
    as" and enter there user-id and password. BENT will use this account to attach
    to all resouces unless you enter "attatch as" infor for a specific share.

    alex wrote:

    > hm. i create a job to start in future (5min from now). stop all BE services
    > and restart them. and now the exchange backup is running...?!!? the
    > backupexec useraccount is member of Admin, Domain-Admin, and Exchange
    > Service... try out. today is me 3 day in testing... and the first that
    > should be looking successfull... later in this day i will know...
    >
    > the real problem i mean is - how to configure a backup job to execute with a
    > account i will tell BE... like in "Task Scheduler". there i can specify -
    > execute with bkupuser for e.g. ?
    >
    > Alex

  6. Re: Im Going out of my mind

    > from the backup selection pane, Network drop down menum select "default
    attach
    > as" and enter there user-id and password. BENT will use this account to

    attach
    > to all resouces unless you enter "attatch as" infor for a specific share.

    i've done this. no chance on working - BE wants everytime a postoffice and i
    give him the same. but this is not working. after restarting the services
    you are able to use the account, some seconds befor the same way isn't
    working. are you having exchange? i think not... in exchange you cannor give
    any password...

    Alex

  7. Re: Im Going out of my mind

    for IS and DS backups, you mererly need a Domain Admin account

    for maiobox backups, you need to have Outlook installed on the BackupServer, to
    login as the BENT service account and create an Outlook profile.

    And yes, I do backup Exchange, with absolutely no problems.

    alex wrote:

    > > from the backup selection pane, Network drop down menum select "default

    > attach
    > > as" and enter there user-id and password. BENT will use this account to

    > attach
    > > to all resouces unless you enter "attatch as" infor for a specific share.

    > i've done this. no chance on working - BE wants everytime a postoffice and i
    > give him the same. but this is not working. after restarting the services
    > you are able to use the account, some seconds befor the same way isn't
    > working. are you having exchange? i think not... in exchange you cannor give
    > any password...
    >
    > Alex

  8. Re: Im Going out of my mind

    hi

    > for maiobox backups, you need to have Outlook installed on the

    BackupServer, to
    > login as the BENT service account and create an Outlook profile.

    why need i to install outlook? my backup worked today once. without
    outlook...

    > And yes, I do backup Exchange, with absolutely no problems.

    version 5.5?

    Alex

  9. Re: Im Going out of my mind

    Replies In-Line

    alex wrote:

    > hi
    >
    > > for maiobox backups, you need to have Outlook installed on the

    > BackupServer, to
    > > login as the BENT service account and create an Outlook profile.

    > why need i to install outlook? my backup worked today once.

    You only need outlook installed if you want to do individual mailbox
    backups, also known as BLBs (Brick Level Backups) because the way that
    Veritas BLB is written, BENT logs into Exchange, (hence Outlook) and
    then opens each selected mailbox and then opens and reads each item in
    the mailbox.

    A very inefficient way of doing it, BTW

    > without
    > outlook...
    >
    > > And yes, I do backup Exchange, with absolutely no problems.

    > version 5.5?

    Yep. exchange 5.5/SP3 soon to be SP4

    > Alex

  10. Re: Im Going out of my mind

    > A very inefficient way of doing it, BTW

    maybee :-)

    > > > And yes, I do backup Exchange, with absolutely no problems.

    > > version 5.5?

    > Yep. exchange 5.5/SP3 soon to be SP4

    in ex2k you don't need a outlook installed.

    Alex

+ Reply to Thread