More than 1 backup on tape - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on More than 1 backup on tape - Veritas Backup Exec ; What are the settings to use if I want to store more than one backup on one tape, and when it reaches max capacity, the next backup over-writes the earliest backup?...

  1. More than 1 backup on tape

    What are the settings to use if I want to store more than one backup on
    one tape, and when it reaches max capacity, the next backup over-writes
    the earliest backup?

  2. Re: More than 1 backup on tape

    Can't be done.

    If you want to add more than one backup set to a tape, make suer that the
    append time for the media set on that tape has not expired and submit a job
    that is defined as append and pointed at the same media set.

    BUT

    when it reaches the end of the tape the only way to have it continue is to
    have it overwrite on a scratch tape.

    Tape is sequential access not random. If you re-write data on the
    beginning of the tape, then you have changed the tape header, and all data
    on that tape becomes unaccessible.

    Steve Crawford wrote:

    > What are the settings to use if I want to store more than one backup on
    > one tape, and when it reaches max capacity, the next backup over-writes
    > the earliest backup?

+ Reply to Thread