Building a recovery server - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Building a recovery server - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I read the rant at http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes and have a question concerning the building of a recovery server. When creating a recovery server what are some guidlines to follow? Should the recovery server be in the domain of the orginial ...

  1. Building a recovery server

    Hi,

    I read the rant at http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes and have a question
    concerning the building of a recovery server.

    When creating a recovery server what are some guidlines to follow? Should
    the recovery server be in the domain of the orginial
    server? If it is in the same domain will doing an Exchange install on the
    recovery server somehow affect the existing tree and forest
    in a negative manner?

    I am currently using a remote agent to backup my Exchange server due to the
    fact that I only have one tape drive. If I put my recovery
    server into a separate domain, will BackupExcec (located on a server in the
    original domain) be able to interact with it across the
    network?

    Thanks,

    David Gadoury

  2. Re: Building a recovery server

    You don't need to put the recovery server in a different domain. The same
    domain is fine. Give it a different NetBios name. When you install Exch
    Server, create a new site, but use the same names for the site and org as
    the production server. You will be able to restore the IS, but not the
    directory. Exchange can rebuild a directory (creating entries for all the
    mailboxes) from just the IS.

    If you want to test the DS along with the IS, you need to make a 'copy' of
    your domain on a separate network. This takes two servers. Setup a server
    as a BDC on your main network. Remove the machine from your main network
    and put it on your recovery network. Promote it to PDC. Create your
    recovery exch server (in the same mode as your production server: BDC or
    member server) in the recovery network. Give it the same netbios name as
    the production server. Install Exch, create a new site and org with the
    same names as the production server.

    See http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/te...kupRestore.htm and
    newsgroup microsoft.public.exchange.admin for more info.
    --
    Charles Villa

    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

    "David Gadoury" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I read the rant at http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes and have a question
    > concerning the building of a recovery server.
    >
    > When creating a recovery server what are some guidlines to follow? Should
    > the recovery server be in the domain of the orginial
    > server? If it is in the same domain will doing an Exchange install on the
    > recovery server somehow affect the existing tree and forest
    > in a negative manner?
    >
    > I am currently using a remote agent to backup my Exchange server due to

    the
    > fact that I only have one tape drive. If I put my recovery
    > server into a separate domain, will BackupExcec (located on a server in

    the
    > original domain) be able to interact with it across the
    > network?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David Gadoury

+ Reply to Thread