Disaster Recovery with Windows 2000 and active directory - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Disaster Recovery with Windows 2000 and active directory - Veritas Backup Exec ; We are investigating disaster recovery scenarios in an Windows 2000 environment with Exchange 2000. We have testing and prepared for disaster recovery of a lost PDC with no backup BDC's. But, it seems to get a bit more complex when ...

  1. Disaster Recovery with Windows 2000 and active directory

    We are investigating disaster recovery scenarios in an Windows 2000
    environment with Exchange 2000. We have testing and prepared for disaster
    recovery of a lost PDC with no backup BDC's.

    But, it seems to get a bit more complex when you start talking about
    multiple domain controllers.

    Scenario 1: We loose the PDC, but the remaining BDC's are still active. Is
    it better to do a full restore of the PDC, restoring its system state and
    its copy of active directory, or is it better to promote one or multiple
    BDC's, then reinstall the PDC as a BDC and re-promote it?

    Scenario 2: If you loose all your domain controllers what is the best way
    to restore them? Restore PDC first, then reinstall BDC's? Or Restore all
    domain controllers. What advantages/disadvantages are there to restoring the
    system state vs. rebuilding it via a reinstall?

    Scenario 3: Exchange 2000 on BDC without OFO and with Exchange agent. So
    you loose your BDC, if you want to do a full restore, then you will restore
    the Exchange 2000 executables, but not the database since OFO was not
    running. This should get the machine back to BDC with Exchange but not
    database. Would you then do another restore of just the Exchange database?
    What about the reinstall method? reinstall as BDC, reinstall Exchange, then
    restore Exchange database?

  2. Re: Disaster Recovery with Windows 2000 and active directory

    Did you build a test network to try restoring it? Are you using a OBDR
    (one-button disaster recovery) tape backup unit? What is your method of
    disaster recovery going to be?

    "Kevin Hammond" wrote in message
    > We are investigating disaster recovery scenarios in an Windows 2000
    > environment with Exchange 2000. We have testing and prepared for disaster
    > recovery of a lost PDC with no backup BDC's.
    >
    > But, it seems to get a bit more complex when you start talking about
    > multiple domain controllers.
    >
    > Scenario 1: We loose the PDC, but the remaining BDC's are still active.

    Is
    > it better to do a full restore of the PDC, restoring its system state and
    > its copy of active directory, or is it better to promote one or multiple
    > BDC's, then reinstall the PDC as a BDC and re-promote it?
    >
    > Scenario 2: If you loose all your domain controllers what is the best

    way
    > to restore them? Restore PDC first, then reinstall BDC's? Or Restore all
    > domain controllers. What advantages/disadvantages are there to restoring

    the
    > system state vs. rebuilding it via a reinstall?
    >
    > Scenario 3: Exchange 2000 on BDC without OFO and with Exchange agent. So
    > you loose your BDC, if you want to do a full restore, then you will

    restore
    > the Exchange 2000 executables, but not the database since OFO was not
    > running. This should get the machine back to BDC with Exchange but not
    > database. Would you then do another restore of just the Exchange database?
    > What about the reinstall method? reinstall as BDC, reinstall Exchange,

    then
    > restore Exchange database?

  3. Re: Disaster Recovery with Windows 2000 and active directory

    Yes, I am in the process of testing still, I am trying to build a good
    testing roadmap without testing all possible configurations.

    We are resellers, so we are going to be using a NFR copy with all available
    agents. Obviously we won't be limited by cost. So I can see options of
    OFO, and/or IDR to do the full backup and restoring.

    One manual option I though about was doing OFO for everything, then in the
    event of a restore, follow these procedures:

    1) Install base OS in different directory
    2) Install base backup exec in different dir
    3) Restore all files
    4) Delete temp os and temp backup exec

    In theory, this should restore everything including SQL and Exchange,
    assuming OFO works correctly. This should allow you to relatively easily
    change hardware on a restore as well. I question the switch of motherboard
    though.

    In addition to this, the Exchange and SQL agents can still be used to
    prevent database corruption and easily restore those databases.

    Option 2 is to go full IDR w/Exchange and SQL agents. This could be faster
    to restore and maybe easier, but it will require two step restore if I
    understand everything correctly.

    1) Start IDR
    2) After IDR is done, restore Exchange DB/ SQL DB

    Or am I misunderstood about the way IDR works? I haven't started testing
    IDR yet...

    On a side note, we are planning to use the Linux agents. I haven't even
    started researching that yet. Any information would be appreciated.

    Thank You,
    Kevin Hammond

    "Michael A. McKenney" wrote in message
    > Did you build a test network to try restoring it? Are you using a OBDR
    > (one-button disaster recovery) tape backup unit? What is your method of
    > disaster recovery going to be?
    >
    > "Kevin Hammond" wrote in message
    > > We are investigating disaster recovery scenarios in an Windows 2000
    > > environment with Exchange 2000. We have testing and prepared for

    disaster
    > > recovery of a lost PDC with no backup BDC's.
    > >
    > > But, it seems to get a bit more complex when you start talking about
    > > multiple domain controllers.
    > >
    > > Scenario 1: We loose the PDC, but the remaining BDC's are still

    active.
    > Is
    > > it better to do a full restore of the PDC, restoring its system state

    and
    > > its copy of active directory, or is it better to promote one or multiple
    > > BDC's, then reinstall the PDC as a BDC and re-promote it?
    > >
    > > Scenario 2: If you loose all your domain controllers what is the best

    > way
    > > to restore them? Restore PDC first, then reinstall BDC's? Or Restore all
    > > domain controllers. What advantages/disadvantages are there to restoring

    > the
    > > system state vs. rebuilding it via a reinstall?
    > >
    > > Scenario 3: Exchange 2000 on BDC without OFO and with Exchange agent.

    So
    > > you loose your BDC, if you want to do a full restore, then you will

    > restore
    > > the Exchange 2000 executables, but not the database since OFO was not
    > > running. This should get the machine back to BDC with Exchange but not
    > > database. Would you then do another restore of just the Exchange

    database?
    > > What about the reinstall method? reinstall as BDC, reinstall Exchange,

    > then
    > > restore Exchange database?

+ Reply to Thread