Ready to scream - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Ready to scream - Veritas Backup Exec ; I've had my share of problems with BENT, but this one is a cherry. Over the weekend, about halfway through it's scheduled jobs, BENT decides to quit. This in itself is no surprise, since BENT is such a "relaible" product. ...

  1. Ready to scream

    I've had my share of problems with BENT, but this one is a cherry. Over the
    weekend, about halfway through it's scheduled jobs, BENT decides to quit.
    This in itself is no surprise, since BENT is such a "relaible" product. However,
    this time it decided to empty all of the selections out of all the job definitions.
    In other words, the jobs are still there, pointing to the right media sets,
    all options are as they were, etc. The only thing missing IS THE BACK-UP
    SELECTIONS!! I have tried to restore Job7.dat (I am running BENT 7.3, Rev
    2575), no joy. Somebody help me out here before I start climbing the tower!!
    (Oh, BTW, yesterday I tried rebuilding a couple of the daily jobs by hand,
    and they are running longer, slower, and inevitibly failing on a couple...)

    Thanks in advance my fellow sufferers!!

  2. Re: Ready to scream

    I had similar problems with 8.0. I upgraded to 8.5 and have not had any
    problems backing up. I suggest upgrading to the latest software to get rid
    of your problems.

    "Frank Buechler" wrote in message

    > I've had my share of problems with BENT, but this one is a cherry. Over

    the
    > weekend, about halfway through it's scheduled jobs, BENT decides to quit.
    > This in itself is no surprise, since BENT is such a "relaible" product.

    However,
    > this time it decided to empty all of the selections out of all the job

    definitions.
    > In other words, the jobs are still there, pointing to the right media

    sets,
    > all options are as they were, etc. The only thing missing IS THE BACK-UP
    > SELECTIONS!! I have tried to restore Job7.dat (I am running BENT 7.3, Rev
    > 2575), no joy. Somebody help me out here before I start climbing the

    tower!!
    > (Oh, BTW, yesterday I tried rebuilding a couple of the daily jobs by hand,
    > and they are running longer, slower, and inevitibly failing on a

    couple...)

    > Thanks in advance my fellow sufferers!!

  3. Re: Ready to scream

    Thanks Michael. I'm not really in a position to upgrade right now. And besides,
    there's the issue of "why". "WHY" did this happen? And can it be fixed. Upgrading
    to a newer solution with newer problems is no answer for me.

    "Michael A. McKenney" wrote:
    >I had similar problems with 8.0. I upgraded to 8.5 and have not had any
    >problems backing up. I suggest upgrading to the latest software to get

    rid
    >of your problems.
    >
    >"Frank Buechler" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I've had my share of problems with BENT, but this one is a cherry. Over

    >the
    >> weekend, about halfway through it's scheduled jobs, BENT decides to quit.
    >> This in itself is no surprise, since BENT is such a "relaible" product.

    >However,
    >> this time it decided to empty all of the selections out of all the job

    >definitions.
    >> In other words, the jobs are still there, pointing to the right media

    >sets,
    >> all options are as they were, etc. The only thing missing IS THE BACK-UP
    >> SELECTIONS!! I have tried to restore Job7.dat (I am running BENT 7.3,

    Rev
    >> 2575), no joy. Somebody help me out here before I start climbing the

    >tower!!
    >> (Oh, BTW, yesterday I tried rebuilding a couple of the daily jobs by hand,
    >> and they are running longer, slower, and inevitibly failing on a

    >couple...)
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance my fellow sufferers!!

  4. Re: Ready to scream

    I find that most times the upgrades solve current problems. I have found
    that 8.5 with the latest patch has fixed all my issues. It is running very
    stable. I was on 7.x when I first installed it at home. My home network
    is for my certifications studies in a live environment. I found that 7.x
    had me calling Veritas about once a month for solutions. I was constantly
    upgrading the patches. It was a pain. The latest software is vastly
    better than 7.x. I would suggest get the demo of 8.5 and trying it.
    Install it on a separate server and move the tape backup unit for a weekend.
    See if it solves your problems.

    > Thanks Michael. I'm not really in a position to upgrade right now. And

    besides,
    > there's the issue of "why". "WHY" did this happen? And can it be fixed.

    Upgrading
    > to a newer solution with newer problems is no answer for me.
    >
    > "Michael A. McKenney" wrote:
    > >I had similar problems with 8.0. I upgraded to 8.5 and have not had any
    > >problems backing up. I suggest upgrading to the latest software to get

    > rid
    > >of your problems.
    > >
    > >"Frank Buechler" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I've had my share of problems with BENT, but this one is a cherry. Over

    > >the
    > >> weekend, about halfway through it's scheduled jobs, BENT decides to

    quit.
    > >> This in itself is no surprise, since BENT is such a "relaible" product.

    > >However,
    > >> this time it decided to empty all of the selections out of all the job

    > >definitions.
    > >> In other words, the jobs are still there, pointing to the right media

    > >sets,
    > >> all options are as they were, etc. The only thing missing IS THE

    BACK-UP
    > >> SELECTIONS!! I have tried to restore Job7.dat (I am running BENT 7.3,

    > Rev
    > >> 2575), no joy. Somebody help me out here before I start climbing the

    > >tower!!
    > >> (Oh, BTW, yesterday I tried rebuilding a couple of the daily jobs by

    hand,
    > >> and they are running longer, slower, and inevitibly failing on a

    > >couple...)
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance my fellow sufferers!!

  5. Re: Ready to scream

    Actually Michael, you are correct. I have suggested to my boss that we upgrade
    as I am rapidly running out of Advil. In fact, I am gathering pricing now.
    But, this does not solve my immediate problem: I want those jobs back!! I
    tweaked them for months to get them right, now the selections have simply
    disappeared! There must be a way to recover them without having to recreate
    them all from scratch.

    "Michael A. McKenney" wrote:
    >I find that most times the upgrades solve current problems. I have found
    >that 8.5 with the latest patch has fixed all my issues. It is running

    very
    >stable. I was on 7.x when I first installed it at home. My home network
    >is for my certifications studies in a live environment. I found that 7.x
    >had me calling Veritas about once a month for solutions. I was constantly
    >upgrading the patches. It was a pain. The latest software is vastly
    >better than 7.x. I would suggest get the demo of 8.5 and trying it.
    >Install it on a separate server and move the tape backup unit for a weekend.
    >See if it solves your problems.
    >

    >"Frank Buechler" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thanks Michael. I'm not really in a position to upgrade right now. And

    >besides,
    >> there's the issue of "why". "WHY" did this happen? And can it be fixed.

    >Upgrading
    >> to a newer solution with newer problems is no answer for me.
    >>
    >> "Michael A. McKenney" wrote:
    >> >I had similar problems with 8.0. I upgraded to 8.5 and have not had

    any
    >> >problems backing up. I suggest upgrading to the latest software to

    get
    >> rid
    >> >of your problems.
    >> >
    >> >"Frank Buechler" wrote in message

    Over
    >> >the

    >quit.
    >> >However,

    job
    >> >definitions.
    >> >sets,

    >BACK-UP

    >> Rev
    >> >tower!!

    >hand,
    >> >couple...)

  6. Re: Ready to scream

    "Frank Buechler" wrote:

    >Actually Michael, you are correct. I have suggested to my boss that we upgrade
    >as I am rapidly running out of Advil. In fact, I am gathering pricing now.
    >But, this does not solve my immediate problem: I want those jobs back!!

    >tweaked them for months to get them right, now the selections have simply
    >disappeared! There must be a way to recover them without having to recreate
    >them all from scratch.
    >
    >"Michael A. McKenney" wrote:
    >>I find that most times the upgrades solve current problems. I have found
    >>that 8.5 with the latest patch has fixed all my issues. It is running

    >very
    >>stable. I was on 7.x when I first installed it at home. My home network
    >>is for my certifications studies in a live environment. I found that

    7.x
    >>had me calling Veritas about once a month for solutions. I was constantly
    >>upgrading the patches. It was a pain. The latest software is vastly
    >>better than 7.x. I would suggest get the demo of 8.5 and trying it.
    >>Install it on a separate server and move the tape backup unit for a weekend.
    >>See if it solves your problems.
    >>

    >>"Frank Buechler" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Thanks Michael. I'm not really in a position to upgrade right now. And

    >>besides,
    >>> there's the issue of "why". "WHY" did this happen? And can it be fixed.

    >>Upgrading
    >>> to a newer solution with newer problems is no answer for me.

    >any

    >get
    >>> rid

    >Over

    >>quit.

    >job

    >>BACK-UP
    >>> Rev

    by
    >>hand,

    I know that when I cannot see my RESTORE SELECTIONS, renaming the BeTopCat.idx
    file (to BeTopCat.old), stopping the Backup Exec services and restarting
    them recreates the catalogs. Wonder if it would work the same for Backup
    Selections?

  7. Re: Ready to scream

    I usually give my boss this option. Upgrade the software and keep it at its
    most current rev or do not complain when a backup fails. I test my backups
    daily. A backup is only as good as its restore. The latest software from
    Veritas usually fixes more than it breaks. The backup and antivirus
    software is the most important tools on the network. It protects your
    network from catastrophic failure. A tape is the only thing that can be
    removed and taken off-site to protect from fire, flood and users.

    "Kim" wrote in message

    > "Frank Buechler" wrote:
    > >
    > >Actually Michael, you are correct. I have suggested to my boss that we

    upgrade
    > >as I am rapidly running out of Advil. In fact, I am gathering pricing

    now.
    > >But, this does not solve my immediate problem: I want those jobs back!!

    > >tweaked them for months to get them right, now the selections have simply
    > >disappeared! There must be a way to recover them without having to

    recreate
    > >them all from scratch.
    > >
    > >"Michael A. McKenney" wrote:
    > >>I find that most times the upgrades solve current problems. I have

    found
    > >>that 8.5 with the latest patch has fixed all my issues. It is running

    > >very
    > >>stable. I was on 7.x when I first installed it at home. My home

    network
    > >>is for my certifications studies in a live environment. I found that

    > 7.x
    > >>had me calling Veritas about once a month for solutions. I was

    constantly
    > >>upgrading the patches. It was a pain. The latest software is vastly
    > >>better than 7.x. I would suggest get the demo of 8.5 and trying it.
    > >>Install it on a separate server and move the tape backup unit for a

    weekend.
    > >>See if it solves your problems.
    > >>

    > >>"Frank Buechler" wrote in message

    > >>besides,

    fixed.
    > >>Upgrading

    > >any

    > >get

    > >Over
    > >>quit.

    product.

    > >job

    media
    > >>BACK-UP

    7.3,

    the

    > by
    > >>hand,

    > I know that when I cannot see my RESTORE SELECTIONS, renaming the

    BeTopCat.idx
    > file (to BeTopCat.old), stopping the Backup Exec services and restarting
    > them recreates the catalogs. Wonder if it would work the same for Backup
    > Selections?

+ Reply to Thread