Consistant backups..Sometimes Fails - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Consistant backups..Sometimes Fails - Veritas Backup Exec ; The last week, backups seem to fail, the differential and normal seem to fail only on one of my servers..."drive not responding..backup set aborted". Could these drives need a good cleaning? Im new, just started this comapny 3 weeks ago, ...

  1. Consistant backups..Sometimes Fails

    The last week, backups seem to fail, the differential and normal seem to fail
    only on one of my servers..."drive not responding..backup set aborted". Could
    these drives need a good cleaning? Im new, just started this comapny 3 weeks
    ago, not sure when the last dat cleaning was done.

    Thanks so much

    Matt Privette

  2. Re: Consistant backups..Sometimes Fails

    Is the DAT cleaning light on? The HP DAT drives have a light to tell you
    when to clean it. Did you try new tapes? I found that I have to reboot
    the server sometimes to get the tape backup software to work. Did you try
    rebooting the server? Did you run any tape diagnostics software on the
    drive? Try backing up and restoring a few files? What are the error
    messages you are getting?

    "Matt Privette" wrote in message

    > The last week, backups seem to fail, the differential and normal seem to

    fail
    > only on one of my servers..."drive not responding..backup set aborted".

    Could
    > these drives need a good cleaning? Im new, just started this comapny 3

    weeks
    > ago, not sure when the last dat cleaning was done.
    >
    > Thanks so much
    >

    > Matt Privette

  3. Re: Consistant backups..Sometimes Fails

    I think they need to be cleaned badly...Lights are blinking, also I will format
    some old tapes and try those. Any particular cleaning brand you reccommend?
    Its seems to back up some drivebsections of the server but not all, have
    confimation on files being backed up, ie.." Backed up 135664 files in 13
    directories" Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Thanks
    Matt

  4. Re: Consistant backups..Sometimes Fails

    I use the C5709A HP DAT Cleaning Cartidge for my HP DAT 24i, 40i, and 24ix6
    drives. I use the HP drives at home and work. I have a HP DAT40i in my
    workstation at home. I clean it every 8 hours of use. The cleaning
    cartridge lasts for 40-50 users. Insight has them for $8.99, HP495172. I
    would get the one made by the manufacturer of the tape backup unit. If
    your drive is HP this is the one.

    > I think they need to be cleaned badly...Lights are blinking, also I will

    format
    > some old tapes and try those. Any particular cleaning brand you

    reccommend?
    > Its seems to back up some drivebsections of the server but not all, have
    > confimation on files being backed up, ie.." Backed up 135664 files in 13
    > directories" Any help would be greatly appreciated
    >
    > Thanks
    > Matt

  5. Re: Consistant backups..Sometimes Fails

    Thanks, I will look into this, Again thanks for the help. I know one is a
    Sony, but no label or info on the other, wonderful office right? Thanks again.

    Matt

    "Michael A. McKenney" wrote:
    >I use the C5709A HP DAT Cleaning Cartidge for my HP DAT 24i, 40i, and 24ix6
    >drives. I use the HP drives at home and work. I have a HP DAT40i in my
    >workstation at home. I clean it every 8 hours of use. The cleaning
    >cartridge lasts for 40-50 users. Insight has them for $8.99, HP495172.

    >would get the one made by the manufacturer of the tape backup unit. If
    >your drive is HP this is the one.
    >
    >"Matt Privette" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I think they need to be cleaned badly...Lights are blinking, also I will

    >format
    >> some old tapes and try those. Any particular cleaning brand you

    >reccommend?
    >> Its seems to back up some drivebsections of the server but not all, have
    >> confimation on files being backed up, ie.." Backed up 135664 files in

    13
    >> directories" Any help would be greatly appreciated
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Matt

+ Reply to Thread