Backup Exec 8.5 and Network Appliance - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec 8.5 and Network Appliance - Veritas Backup Exec ; I wish to use BE 8.5 to backup our netapp box, but am unsure which accelerator to use and how to install it. Does anyone have a similar setup that can give me some guidance? thank you, Sasha Mobley sasha@entrisphere.com...

  1. Backup Exec 8.5 and Network Appliance

    I wish to use BE 8.5 to backup our netapp box, but am unsure which accelerator
    to use and how to install it. Does anyone have a similar setup that can give
    me some guidance?

    thank you,
    Sasha Mobley

    sasha@entrisphere.com

  2. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 and Network Appliance

    On 13 Apr 2001 19:31:09 -0400, "Sasha Mobley"
    wrote:

    >I wish to use BE 8.5 to backup our netapp box, but am unsure which accelerator
    >to use and how to install it. Does anyone have a similar setup that can give
    >me some guidance?

    BE dont have agents targeted at NAS boxes most are *nix kernals so you
    can give the unix agent a try if you can get a console on the NAS box,
    but a normal backup is normally what you are stuck with

  3. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 and Network Appliance

    Flemming Riis wrote:
    >On 13 Apr 2001 19:31:09 -0400, "Sasha Mobley"
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I wish to use BE 8.5 to backup our netapp box, but am unsure which accelerator
    >>to use and how to install it. Does anyone have a similar setup that can

    give
    >>me some guidance?

    >BE dont have agents targeted at NAS boxes most are *nix kernals so you
    >can give the unix agent a try if you can get a console on the NAS box,
    >but a normal backup is normally what you are stuck with

    BE 8.5 requires an agent to backup other servers...one per server. So, is
    it the UNIX agent I need? Help...

    Sasha

  4. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 and Network Appliance

    The problem is the 'appliances' usually do not allow you to get a root
    console (or any console at all). This means you won't be allowed to install
    any software on the appliance (BE agent or otherwise). As Flemming stated,
    if you can get a console, try installing the BE Unix agent. Otherwise, you
    will be stuck with mapping a drive letter and backing-up via the drive
    letter.
    --
    Charles Villa

    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

    "Sasha Mobley" wrote in message

    > Flemming Riis wrote:
    > >On 13 Apr 2001 19:31:09 -0400, "Sasha Mobley"
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>I wish to use BE 8.5 to backup our netapp box, but am unsure which

    accelerator
    > >>to use and how to install it. Does anyone have a similar setup that can

    > give
    > >>me some guidance?

    > >BE dont have agents targeted at NAS boxes most are *nix kernals so you
    > >can give the unix agent a try if you can get a console on the NAS box,
    > >but a normal backup is normally what you are stuck with

    > BE 8.5 requires an agent to backup other servers...one per server. So, is
    > it the UNIX agent I need? Help...
    >
    > Sasha

+ Reply to Thread