Missing data from restore selections screen... - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Missing data from restore selections screen... - Veritas Backup Exec ; I had to reformat my drive and lost all catalogs that i had for BENT 8.5 Unfortunately i did not have a backup of the catalog dir so i have had to re inventory and catalog all the tapes. The ...

  1. Missing data from restore selections screen...

    I had to reformat my drive and lost all catalogs that i had for BENT 8.5 Unfortunately
    i did not have a backup of the catalog dir so i have had to re inventory
    and catalog all the tapes.

    The single tapes work fine however the 1 multi volume archive that i have
    is wrong , it only shows the data that is on the first tape and not the rest.

    The backup spans 8 tapes , when running the inventory/catalog the first tape
    takes around 2hrs and the remaining only take around 5-10mins.

    When i run the inventory/catalog for tapes 2-8 it does as follows

    Tape 2 asks for tape 1 followed by 2
    Tape 3 asks for tape 1 followed by 2 then 3
    Tape 4 asks for tape 1 followed by 2 then 3 then 4

    and so on all the way up to tape 8 which asks in turn from tape 1
    through 8.

    Does anyone know why the restore selections screen only shows the data from
    the first tape and not the remaining - i have around 55 directories secured
    on these tapes but can only appear to restore around 8-9 as thats all the
    software can see.

    So how do i go around getting the remaining directories to show up.

    I have tried running the inventory more than once , but is there a certain
    sequence of events that have to be run for a multi volume archive ??

    please if anyone can help i would be most gratefull.

    Thank you for your time and patience

    Duncan.

  2. Re: Missing data from restore selections screen...

    I have no idea if it will work in this situation, but a fellow posted an "Emergency
    Catalog" a while ago, that he got from Veritas after he re-labeled a couple of tapes with
    critical info on them

    (From Backup Exec Support)

    Open Backup Exec, go to tools/options.
    Go to Catalog tab.
    Uncheck the option to "Use Storage Media-Based catalogs",
    Then inventory/catalog the tape.
    (In this case I'd say in volume order 1, then 2 etc)
    This will allow the software to create a catalog of the tape, file for file.

    If the catalog does not appear in restore selections.
    Close Backup Exec, stop all BENT services in the Control Panel.
    Open the Explorer and go to \program files\veritas\backup exec\nt.
    Rename the Catalogs folder to catalogs_old
    Start all BENT services and Open BE.
    Then inventory/catalog the tape, with the above option unselected.

    To return to your saved catalogs, delete the catalogs directory and
    rename catalogs_old to catalogs.

    Maybe you can copy the *.U01 files from the temp dir to the saved dir before renaming back
    to \Catalog

    Duncan wrote:

    > I had to reformat my drive and lost all catalogs that i had for BENT 8.5 Unfortunately
    > i did not have a backup of the catalog dir so i have had to re inventory
    > and catalog all the tapes.
    >
    > The single tapes work fine however the 1 multi volume archive that i have
    > is wrong , it only shows the data that is on the first tape and not the rest.
    >
    > The backup spans 8 tapes , when running the inventory/catalog the first tape
    > takes around 2hrs and the remaining only take around 5-10mins.
    >
    > When i run the inventory/catalog for tapes 2-8 it does as follows
    >
    > Tape 2 asks for tape 1 followed by 2
    > Tape 3 asks for tape 1 followed by 2 then 3
    > Tape 4 asks for tape 1 followed by 2 then 3 then 4
    >
    > and so on all the way up to tape 8 which asks in turn from tape 1
    > through 8.
    >
    > Does anyone know why the restore selections screen only shows the data from
    > the first tape and not the remaining - i have around 55 directories secured
    > on these tapes but can only appear to restore around 8-9 as thats all the
    > software can see.
    >
    > So how do i go around getting the remaining directories to show up.
    >
    > I have tried running the inventory more than once , but is there a certain
    > sequence of events that have to be run for a multi volume archive ??
    >
    > please if anyone can help i would be most gratefull.
    >
    > Thank you for your time and patience
    >
    > Duncan.

+ Reply to Thread