Exchange 2000 can't attach - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Exchange 2000 can't attach - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I have perfomred to test installs of the Exchange agent with Windows 2000. We have Windows 2000, Exchange 2000 and Veritas 8.5. On the first server, we have Veritas running on the Exchange server and we get can't attach, ...

  1. Exchange 2000 can't attach

    Hi,

    I have perfomred to test installs of the Exchange agent with Windows 2000.
    We have Windows 2000, Exchange 2000 and Veritas 8.5. On the first server,
    we have Veritas running on the Exchange server and we get can't attach,
    permission denied. Backup Exec is running as administrator.

    In the 2nd test, we have Veritas running on a seperate server with exchange
    system manager installed. The remote agent is installed on the exchange
    server. We are getting the same error can't attach, permission denied. The
    Exchange server is a domain controller. Initially we had backup exec
    running as administrator, I changed it to a different user and gave the user
    backup operator permissions. Same result.

    I have read all the docs, and I followed all the instructions.

    Any ideas?

    Thank You,
    Kevin Hammond

  2. Re: Exchange 2000 can't attach

    I answered my own question with help from a few others in the group. I was
    running Backup Exec as the default administrator account. I assume this was
    the local administrator account and not the one for active directory or
    something of the like. I changed the service to run as an account with
    domain admins, log on as service and backup operators. All is working well
    now.

    The interesting thing with the administrator account though, is that
    administrator has had the same password on all the computers we have set it
    up on. Is this a Microsoft limitation?

    Kevin

    "Kevin Hammond" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have perfomred to test installs of the Exchange agent with Windows 2000.
    > We have Windows 2000, Exchange 2000 and Veritas 8.5. On the first server,
    > we have Veritas running on the Exchange server and we get can't attach,
    > permission denied. Backup Exec is running as administrator.
    >
    > In the 2nd test, we have Veritas running on a seperate server with

    exchange
    > system manager installed. The remote agent is installed on the exchange
    > server. We are getting the same error can't attach, permission denied.

    The
    > Exchange server is a domain controller. Initially we had backup exec
    > running as administrator, I changed it to a different user and gave the

    user
    > backup operator permissions. Same result.
    >
    > I have read all the docs, and I followed all the instructions.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thank You,
    > Kevin Hammond

+ Reply to Thread