Help with Exchange 2000 agent-Veritas support sux. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Help with Exchange 2000 agent-Veritas support sux. - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm really pissed off at Veritas for not even offering free installation support. I am now NOT a buyer of Veritas software as of now. And I am a 10-year pro at this crap. I knew Backup Exec before even ...

  1. Help with Exchange 2000 agent-Veritas support sux.

    I'm really pissed off at Veritas for not even offering free installation
    support. I am now NOT a buyer of Veritas software as of now. And I am a
    10-year pro at this crap. I knew Backup Exec before even Seagate had it..

    I can't get the damn Exchange 2000 agent to install due to it not passing
    the "Unique Mailbox" dialog. WTF is this so simple a task, so difficult to
    accomplish? I created a username Backupexec, gave it a mailbox and when I
    enter it in the damn dialog box, it says "Backup Exec could not attach to
    this Exchange server". The exchange server is on another box, right next to
    it. I'm logged into a Native-mode tree. Of course, Veritas' on-line support
    weas no help. Someone please lift this cloud!!

    TIA!

  2. Re: Help with Exchange 2000 agent-Veritas support sux.

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:04:57 -0500, "Marc Quibell"
    wrote:

    >I'm really pissed off at Veritas for not even offering free installation
    >support. I am now NOT a buyer of Veritas software as of now. And I am a
    >10-year pro at this crap. I knew Backup Exec before even Seagate had it..
    >

    >I can't get the damn Exchange 2000 agent to install due to it not passing
    >the "Unique Mailbox" dialog. WTF is this so simple a task, so difficult to
    >accomplish?

    What are you trying to accomplish

    a: full exchange server backup then

    Verify that you are running version 8.5 either as a trial or with a
    8.5 EX agent serial not a 8.0 upgrade.

    Verify that the EX2K system manager is installed on the backup exec
    box

    Verify that NTbackup is capable of performing a remote backup just to
    check that everything is up and running

    >I created a username Backupexec, gave it a mailbox and when I
    >enter it in the damn dialog box, it says "Backup Exec could not attach to
    >this Exchange server".

    b: single user mailbox

    dont its a waste of time on EX2K

    >Of course, Veritas' on-line support
    >weas no help. Someone please lift this cloud!!

    as far as i know there is free support if you are installing a trial
    product , or the org that you puchased your product will prob
    be able to provice 1st line support.

    No offence, but if you try to get support from veritas with the same
    ammount of informations provided and the same attitude i dont think
    that you will get far.

    People in here is trying to help direct your anger at someone else

  3. Re: Help with Exchange 2000 agent-Veritas support sux.

    Flemming Riis wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:04:57 -0500, "Marc Quibell"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm really pissed off at Veritas for not even offering free installation
    > >support. I am now NOT a buyer of Veritas software as of now. And I am a
    > >10-year pro at this crap. I knew Backup Exec before even Seagate had it..
    > >

    > >I can't get the damn Exchange 2000 agent to install due to it not passing
    > >the "Unique Mailbox" dialog. WTF is this so simple a task, so difficult

    > >accomplish?

    > What are you trying to accomplish
    >
    > a: full exchange server backup then
    >
    > Verify that you are running version 8.5 either as a trial or with a
    > 8.5 EX agent serial not a 8.0 upgrade.

    Thanks. You are absolutely no help at all. Check once again 10 YEARS doing
    this work! Why in the heck would I be using a trial version, with an
    Exchange 2000 agent and try to get it to behave as a full grown edition if I
    could get away with it?? What a stupid question....

    > Verify that the EX2K system manager is installed on the backup exec
    > box

    Duh.

    > Verify that NTbackup is capable of performing a remote backup just to
    > check that everything is up and running.

    Duh.

    > >I created a username Backupexec, gave it a mailbox and when I
    > >enter it in the damn dialog box, it says "Backup Exec could not attach to
    > >this Exchange server".

    > b: single user mailbox
    >
    > dont its a waste of time on EX2K

    I am currently wanting to do All mailbox backup, so I'm currently doing the
    information store.

    > >Of course, Veritas' on-line support
    > >weas no help. Someone please lift this cloud!!

    > as far as i know there is free support if you are installing a trial
    > product , or the org that you puchased your product will prob
    > be able to provice 1st line support.

    Not. I just said NO SUPPORT. I called them! Even after my Channel Partner
    support JUST expired March 31st.

    > No offence, but if you try to get support from veritas with the same
    > ammount of informations provided and the same attitude i dont think
    > that you will get far.

    And if you had any idea what you were doing, newbie, you wouldn't make such
    dumb statements. I gave EXACTLY the correct amount of information any
    intelligent, experienced pro would be able to identify...

    > People in here is trying to help direct your anger at someone else....

    Duh, my anger is directed at Veritas for such a lousy support system.
    Seagate at least had the damn forums ON THEIR WEBSITE WITH REAL SEAGATE REPS
    ANSWERING CONSTANTLY. And if you knew anything you would know that Veritas
    has no one here on a permanent basis. As I stated, I am upset at the lack of
    support and I will protest. If you don't like it, too damn bad. In America,
    we can do these things. Everyone else,reading this, please have a great day!

  4. Re: Help with Exchange 2000 agent-Veritas support sux.

    > Well im not the one screaming for help so cool it
    >
    > EOD

    OK!

    :'

  5. Re: Help with Exchange 2000 agent-Veritas support sux.

    You seem to be unaware that this is a user to user forum. There is no
    official Veritas presence here. Only users trying to help other users. No
    one gets paid here. I'm sorry you feel slighted by Flemming asking you to
    check basic items, but it is difficult to tell the skill level of the
    original poster from a short text message. Even if you are very skilled, it
    is easy to miss something.
    --
    Charles Villa

    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

    "Marc Quibell" wrote in message

> [...]

    > And if you had any idea what you were doing, newbie, you wouldn't make

    such
    > dumb statements. I gave EXACTLY the correct amount of information any
    > intelligent, experienced pro would be able to identify...
    >

    > > People in here is trying to help direct your anger at someone else....

    > Duh, my anger is directed at Veritas for such a lousy support system.
    > Seagate at least had the damn forums ON THEIR WEBSITE WITH REAL SEAGATE

    REPS
    > ANSWERING CONSTANTLY. And if you knew anything you would know that Veritas
    > has no one here on a permanent basis. As I stated, I am upset at the lack

    of
    > support and I will protest. If you don't like it, too damn bad. In

    America,
    > we can do these things. Everyone else,reading this, please have a great

  6. Re: Help with Exchange 2000 agent-Veritas support sux.

    When you created the Outlook Profile on the Backup Server, were you logged in
    as the BENT service account?

    What it is asking for is actually the Outlook profile to use to connect to
    Exchange. Lazy coding - somebody used an existing message box, rather than
    create a new more meaningful one

    Marc Quibell wrote:

    > I'm really pissed off at Veritas for not even offering free installation
    > support. I am now NOT a buyer of Veritas software as of now. And I am a
    > 10-year pro at this crap. I knew Backup Exec before even Seagate had it..
    >
    > I can't get the damn Exchange 2000 agent to install due to it not passing
    > the "Unique Mailbox" dialog. WTF is this so simple a task, so difficult to
    > accomplish? I created a username Backupexec, gave it a mailbox and when I
    > enter it in the damn dialog box, it says "Backup Exec could not attach to
    > this Exchange server". The exchange server is on another box, right next to
    > it. I'm logged into a Native-mode tree. Of course, Veritas' on-line support
    > weas no help. Someone please lift this cloud!!
    >
    > TIA!

  7. Re: Help with Exchange 2000 agent-Veritas support sux.

    I would also install the Exchange Administor program on the backup server,
    by the way this appears to speed up Exchange backups.

    IMPORTANT make sure you have the latest version of file edbbcli.dll on both
    backup server and exchange server.

    en Putnam wrote:
    >When you created the Outlook Profile on the Backup Server, were you logged

    in
    >as the BENT service account?
    >
    >What it is asking for is actually the Outlook profile to use to connect

    >Exchange. Lazy coding - somebody used an existing message box, rather than
    >create a new more meaningful one
    >
    >Marc Quibell wrote:
    >
    >> I'm really pissed off at Veritas for not even offering free installation
    >> support. I am now NOT a buyer of Veritas software as of now. And I am

    >> 10-year pro at this crap. I knew Backup Exec before even Seagate had it..
    >>
    >> I can't get the damn Exchange 2000 agent to install due to it not passing
    >> the "Unique Mailbox" dialog. WTF is this so simple a task, so difficult

    >> accomplish? I created a username Backupexec, gave it a mailbox and when

    >> enter it in the damn dialog box, it says "Backup Exec could not attach

    >> this Exchange server". The exchange server is on another box, right next

    >> it. I'm logged into a Native-mode tree. Of course, Veritas' on-line support
    >> weas no help. Someone please lift this cloud!!
    >>
    >> TIA!

  8. Re: Help with Exchange 2000 agent-Veritas support sux.

    I've had similiar problems with trying Exchange backups and it's very fustrating;
    especially their POS knowledgebase. Anyway, we've had mutliple problems
    like yours (we do consulting work too, so we've noticed this with other customer
    installs). Here's what we've noticed:

    Install EX remote admin *first*, then install Outlook; it seems to make a
    difference. I've also had Outlook dll files go bad and a reinstall of outlook
    fixed this (after reinstalling everything else to no avail).

    Backup Exec 7 was solid; I think they really dropped the ball with 8.x; we've
    had so many problems I can't even count them.

    "Ed" wrote:

    >I would also install the Exchange Administor program on the backup server,
    >by the way this appears to speed up Exchange backups.
    >
    >IMPORTANT make sure you have the latest version of file edbbcli.dll on both
    >backup server and exchange server.
    >

    >en Putnam wrote:
    >>When you created the Outlook Profile on the Backup Server, were you logged

    >in
    >>as the BENT service account?
    >>
    >>What it is asking for is actually the Outlook profile to use to connect

    >>Exchange. Lazy coding - somebody used an existing message box, rather

    than
    >>create a new more meaningful one
    >>
    >>Marc Quibell wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm really pissed off at Veritas for not even offering free installation
    >>> support. I am now NOT a buyer of Veritas software as of now. And I

    am
    >>> 10-year pro at this crap. I knew Backup Exec before even Seagate had

    it..

    >>> I can't get the damn Exchange 2000 agent to install due to it not passing
    >>> the "Unique Mailbox" dialog. WTF is this so simple a task, so difficult

    >>> accomplish? I created a username Backupexec, gave it a mailbox and when

    >>> enter it in the damn dialog box, it says "Backup Exec could not attach

    >>> this Exchange server". The exchange server is on another box, right next

    >>> it. I'm logged into a Native-mode tree. Of course, Veritas' on-line support
    >>> weas no help. Someone please lift this cloud!!
    >>>
    >>> TIA!

  9. Re: Help with Exchange 2000 agent-Veritas support sux.

    "Charles Villa" wrote:
> [...]

    >> And if you had any idea what you were doing, newbie, you wouldn't make

    >such
    >> dumb statements. I gave EXACTLY the correct amount of information any
    >> intelligent, experienced pro would be able to identify...
    >>

    >> > People in here is trying to help direct your anger at someone else....

    >> Duh, my anger is directed at Veritas for such a lousy support system.
    >> Seagate at least had the damn forums ON THEIR WEBSITE WITH REAL SEAGATE

    >REPS
    >> ANSWERING CONSTANTLY. And if you knew anything you would know that Veritas
    >> has no one here on a permanent basis. As I stated, I am upset at the lack

    >of
    >> support and I will protest. If you don't like it, too damn bad. In

    >America,
    >> we can do these things. Everyone else,reading this, please have a great

    I vote Charles Veritas sucks, as a long time buexec user and like him well
    before seagate bought them......there support sucks and the install sucks
    etc etc.......
    Charles...my understanding on this pitiful agent is this

    1. you do not need to back each mail box unless you want to restore individual
    boxes or messages within....if you do the store all is gotten priv and pub..

    2. if you want to get each box and the store (AS I DO YOU STUPID FREAKING
    VERITAS SUPPORT PEOPLE) this is how I did it....I made my buexec account
    granted all the rights etc then I logged on the server as that account opened
    my MAPI (outlook 2000 or higher) email sent a piece of mail to myself and
    responded back (exchange can be stupid to) Then I started to set up my BU
    exec jobs with that user, on that server and etc etc.

    Cheers

  10. Re: Help with Exchange 2000 agent-Veritas support sux.

    Help someone! I am having the same issue Marc is having!!!

    "Marc Quibell" wrote:
    >I'm really pissed off at Veritas for not even offering free installation
    >support. I am now NOT a buyer of Veritas software as of now. And I am

    >10-year pro at this crap. I knew Backup Exec before even Seagate had it..
    >
    >I can't get the damn Exchange 2000 agent to install due to it not passing
    >the "Unique Mailbox" dialog. WTF is this so simple a task, so difficult

    >accomplish? I created a username Backupexec, gave it a mailbox and when

    >enter it in the damn dialog box, it says "Backup Exec could not attach to
    >this Exchange server". The exchange server is on another box, right next

    >it. I'm logged into a Native-mode tree. Of course, Veritas' on-line support
    >weas no help. Someone please lift this cloud!!
    >
    >TIA!

  11. Re: Help with Exchange 2000 agent-Veritas support sux.

    Did you log onto the Backup server as the BENT service account and
    create the Outlook Profile, then connect to the Exchange Server at least
    once?

    Michael Tedescucci wrote:

    >Help someone! I am having the same issue Marc is having!!!
    >
    >"Marc Quibell" wrote:
    >
    >>I'm really pissed off at Veritas for not even offering free installation
    >>support. I am now NOT a buyer of Veritas software as of now. And I am

    >>10-year pro at this crap. I knew Backup Exec before even Seagate had it..
    >>
    >>I can't get the damn Exchange 2000 agent to install due to it not passing
    >>the "Unique Mailbox" dialog. WTF is this so simple a task, so difficult

    >>accomplish? I created a username Backupexec, gave it a mailbox and when

    >>enter it in the damn dialog box, it says "Backup Exec could not attach to
    >>this Exchange server". The exchange server is on another box, right next

    >>it. I'm logged into a Native-mode tree. Of course, Veritas' on-line support
    >>weas no help. Someone please lift this cloud!!
    >>
    >>TIA!

  12. Re: Help with Exchange 2000 agent-Veritas support sux.

    Mike,

    Here is what I done to get around this:

    Create a MAPI profile for the BE service account, either using a MAPI mail
    client or Profman

    Make the BE service account an Exchange Admin

    In AD Users and Computers right-click the OU that contains the BE service
    account, click on View and then Advanced Features.

    Then go into the properties BE service account, click on the 'Exchange
    Advanced' tab then click the 'Mailbox Rights' button and give administrator
    Full Mailbox Access to the service account mailbox.

    Let me know how you get on.

    Simon

    "Michael Tedescucci" wrote in message

    > Help someone! I am having the same issue Marc is having!!!
    >
    > "Marc Quibell" wrote:
    > >I'm really pissed off at Veritas for not even offering free installation
    > >support. I am now NOT a buyer of Veritas software as of now. And I am

    > >10-year pro at this crap. I knew Backup Exec before even Seagate had it..
    > >
    > >I can't get the damn Exchange 2000 agent to install due to it not passing
    > >the "Unique Mailbox" dialog. WTF is this so simple a task, so difficult

    > >accomplish? I created a username Backupexec, gave it a mailbox and when

    > >enter it in the damn dialog box, it says "Backup Exec could not attach to
    > >this Exchange server". The exchange server is on another box, right next

    > >it. I'm logged into a Native-mode tree. Of course, Veritas' on-line

    support
    > >weas no help. Someone please lift this cloud!!
    > >
    > >TIA!

+ Reply to Thread