Files different on Verify - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Files different on Verify - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have BENT 7.3 2575 w/ Quantum DLT 4000 installed on a Winnt Server sp6a. I continously have jobs fail because "Difference encountered in file data" on one or two files evry backup. The files encountered are not the same ...

  1. Files different on Verify

    I have BENT 7.3 2575 w/ Quantum DLT 4000 installed on a Winnt Server sp6a. I
    continously have jobs fail because "Difference encountered in file data" on
    one or two files evry backup. The files encountered are not the same files
    everytime. And happens on different tapes. This problem started occurring on
    a seagate Travan Drive and still occurs on the quatum DLT 4000. I have
    Verify and Write CHecksums to media checked. Anyone have any ideas why I
    keep getting this error? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Files different on Verify

    What are the files that are being reported as having been changed. We have
    a re-occuring problem Outlook.pst files because people leave Outlook open
    for instance. Maybe the file really does change.

    "Joboo" wrote in message
    > I have BENT 7.3 2575 w/ Quantum DLT 4000 installed on a Winnt Server sp6a.

    > continously have jobs fail because "Difference encountered in file data"

    on
    > one or two files evry backup. The files encountered are not the same files
    > everytime. And happens on different tapes. This problem started occurring

    on
    > a seagate Travan Drive and still occurs on the quatum DLT 4000. I have
    > Verify and Write CHecksums to media checked. Anyone have any ideas why I
    > keep getting this error? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  3. Re: Files different on Verify

    According to Veritas when BENT does a verify it does not check data from
    tape against Data from HD. They state that there must be something wrong the
    Tape drive or media if files are different, which I do not think is the
    case.
    "Jason Silva" wrote in message
    > What are the files that are being reported as having been changed. We

    have
    > a re-occuring problem Outlook.pst files because people leave Outlook open
    > for instance. Maybe the file really does change.
    >
    > "Joboo" wrote in message
    > > I have BENT 7.3 2575 w/ Quantum DLT 4000 installed on a Winnt Server

    sp6a.
    > > continously have jobs fail because "Difference encountered in file data"

    > on
    > > one or two files evry backup. The files encountered are not the same

    files
    > > everytime. And happens on different tapes. This problem started

    occurring
    > on
    > > a seagate Travan Drive and still occurs on the quatum DLT 4000. I have
    > > Verify and Write CHecksums to media checked. Anyone have any ideas why I
    > > keep getting this error? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  4. Re: Files different on Verify

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:17:43 -0400, "Joboo"
    wrote:

    >According to Veritas when BENT does a verify it does not check data from
    >tape against Data from HD.

    Correct BE verify a crc checksum during a verity.

    >They state that there must be something wrong the
    >Tape drive or media if files are different, which I do not think is the
    >case.

    Why not ? , try cleaing the tape drive, verify that the scsi chain is
    correctly terminated , look in the event log fil event id 9 and 11 ,
    verify that you are using a "new" scsi driver and not one supplied
    with a service pack from MS

  5. Re: Files different on Verify

    I have BENT 8.5 Rev 3572 w/ Onstream ADR 50 and I am having exactly the
    same problems.
    Here the problems started with the first backup after a 10 day vacation
    (Jobs were rescheduled to start with the first day after vacation - so no
    error reports nor skippings).
    All the backups (4) since that day reported a difference encounterred in a
    few files (2 to 6) for non data files (files that never change). No hardware
    nor software modiffication that I am aware off.
    It never happened before but since return from vacation now it's consistent
    but randomly spread.
    There are no error reports in the System log about SCSI bus glitches and the
    last cleaning was on march 7th (29 mounts, 79 hours use).

    Any help would be greatly appreciated too.

    rgds

    "Joboo" wrote in message
    > I have BENT 7.3 2575 w/ Quantum DLT 4000 installed on a Winnt Server sp6a.

    > continously have jobs fail because "Difference encountered in file data"

    on
    > one or two files evry backup. The files encountered are not the same files
    > everytime. And happens on different tapes. This problem started occurring

    on
    > a seagate Travan Drive and still occurs on the quatum DLT 4000. I have
    > Verify and Write CHecksums to media checked. Anyone have any ideas why I
    > keep getting this error? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  6. Re: Files different on Verify

    Since the BENT "verify" does not do a disk to tape comparision, whether the
    disk file has changed or not makes no difference.

    What the verify does is scan the tape, re-calculate and compare checksums. If
    the checksums are the same, the tape "verifies" sucessfully. If the checksums
    are different, then the verify fails. You may have heads that need cleaning, a
    SCSI terminator going bad or any of a number of other problems.

    Andre Gotlieb wrote:

    > I have BENT 8.5 Rev 3572 w/ Onstream ADR 50 and I am having exactly the
    > same problems.
    > Here the problems started with the first backup after a 10 day vacation
    > (Jobs were rescheduled to start with the first day after vacation - so no
    > error reports nor skippings).
    > All the backups (4) since that day reported a difference encounterred in a
    > few files (2 to 6) for non data files (files that never change). No hardware
    > nor software modiffication that I am aware off.
    > It never happened before but since return from vacation now it's consistent
    > but randomly spread.
    > There are no error reports in the System log about SCSI bus glitches and the
    > last cleaning was on march 7th (29 mounts, 79 hours use).
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated too.
    >
    > rgds
    >
    > "Joboo" wrote in message
    > > I have BENT 7.3 2575 w/ Quantum DLT 4000 installed on a Winnt Server sp6a.

    > > continously have jobs fail because "Difference encountered in file data"

    > on
    > > one or two files evry backup. The files encountered are not the same files
    > > everytime. And happens on different tapes. This problem started occurring

    > on
    > > a seagate Travan Drive and still occurs on the quatum DLT 4000. I have
    > > Verify and Write CHecksums to media checked. Anyone have any ideas why I
    > > keep getting this error? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  7. Re: Files different on Verify

    "Joboo" wrote:
    >I have BENT 7.3 2575 w/ Quantum DLT 4000 installed on a Winnt Server sp6a.

    >continously have jobs fail because "Difference encountered in file data"

    on
    >one or two files evry backup. The files encountered are not the same files
    >everytime. And happens on different tapes. This problem started occurring

    on
    >a seagate Travan Drive and still occurs on the quatum DLT 4000. I have
    >Verify and Write CHecksums to media checked. Anyone have any ideas why I
    >keep getting this error? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Make sure that you have a SCSI terminator on your Quatum DLT4000

    I was having the exact same errors and this fixed the problem.

+ Reply to Thread