tapes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on tapes - Veritas Backup Exec ; help ... i'm only getting 26 gb on to my 40 gb tape / drive have tried using hardware, then software compression, but still no joy, can any one help ?? i'm using maxell 150m 20 gb tapes and a ...

  1. tapes

    help ...

    i'm only getting 26 gb on to my 40 gb tape / drive

    have tried using hardware, then software compression, but still no joy, can
    any one help ??

    i'm using maxell 150m 20 gb tapes and a dell 20/40 gb tape drive

    thanks

    barry

  2. Re: tapes

    Once again

    20/40 just means 20 GB native and 40 GB compressed at 2:1. Since compression
    varies widely depending on your data type(s), I usually figure, rule of thumb,
    to expect about 1.3:1. 23GB on a 20/40 drive works out to about 1.15:1. A
    little in the low side I must admit. What kind if data is it MP3s,.EXEs,
    compressed graphics files none of these compress well because they are already
    compressed.

    Barry wrote:

    > help ...
    >
    > i'm only getting 26 gb on to my 40 gb tape / drive
    >
    > have tried using hardware, then software compression, but still no joy, can
    > any one help ??
    >
    > i'm using maxell 150m 20 gb tapes and a dell 20/40 gb tape drive
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > barry

+ Reply to Thread