EDB Corruption - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on EDB Corruption - Veritas Backup Exec ; I upgraded BENT 7.3 to 8.5 on my master backup server. This server backs up 5 Exchange 5.5 SP4 servers in which all are different models, they have been running for 2 years with no problems. During the first backup ...

  1. EDB Corruption

    I upgraded BENT 7.3 to 8.5 on my master backup server. This server backs up
    5 Exchange 5.5 SP4 servers in which all are different models, they have been
    running for 2 years with no problems. During the first backup using 8.5 all
    5 returned errors that the information store was unavailable and all 5
    returned 1018 errors in the event log with corrupted databases. How can all
    5 have hardware errors? I plan on running eseutil after I get the users
    moved off but why did they all corrupt at the same time?

  2. Re: EDB Corruption

    I'm not sure about this. All 5 seems strange. The best I can do is point
    to some Veritas and Microsoft articles. You should ask this question on the
    Exchange newsgroup (microsoft.public.exchange.admin).
    On Microsoft's knowledge base:
    Q192333 XADM: JET Will Now Retry 16 Times on -1018 Error
    Q151789 XADM: Error -1018 (JET_errReadVerifyFailure)
    Q188646 XADM: Unable to Back Up Exchange Server 5.5 with Event ID 105
    Q190696 XADM: Event ID 116, Service Database Corruption
    Q237953 XADM: Erroneous -1018 Error Returned During Online Backup
    --
    Charles Villa

    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.

    "Joe Wissing" wrote in message
    > I upgraded BENT 7.3 to 8.5 on my master backup server. This server backs

    up
    > 5 Exchange 5.5 SP4 servers in which all are different models, they have

    been
    > running for 2 years with no problems. During the first backup using 8.5

    all
    > 5 returned errors that the information store was unavailable and all 5
    > returned 1018 errors in the event log with corrupted databases. How can

    all
    > 5 have hardware errors? I plan on running eseutil after I get the users
    > moved off but why did they all corrupt at the same time?

  3. Re: EDB Corruption

    Here is the status, at the request of a Veritas rep via phone I
    ran ESEUTIL -G on one of the servers reporting problems.
    The priv.edb, pub.edb and ds.edb all came back with no errors.
    On another server I did differential backups on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
    with all returning errors of "Exchange Store Service is not responding, Backup
    set aborted" on the directory and information store. On Thursday it ran fine
    with no errors and I had not done anything to the server.
    "Charles Villa" wrote:
    >I'm not sure about this. All 5 seems strange. The best I can do is point
    >to some Veritas and Microsoft articles. You should ask this question on

    the
    >Exchange newsgroup (microsoft.public.exchange.admin).
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191707.htm
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191006.htm
    >On Microsoft's knowledge base:
    >Q192333 XADM: JET Will Now Retry 16 Times on -1018 Error
    >Q151789 XADM: Error -1018 (JET_errReadVerifyFailure)
    >Q188646 XADM: Unable to Back Up Exchange Server 5.5 with Event ID 105
    >Q190696 XADM: Event ID 116, Service Database Corruption
    >Q237953 XADM: Erroneous -1018 Error Returned During Online Backup
    >--
    >Charles Villa
    >
    >http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    >Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.
    >
    >"Joe Wissing" wrote in message
    >> I upgraded BENT 7.3 to 8.5 on my master backup server. This server backs

    >up
    >> 5 Exchange 5.5 SP4 servers in which all are different models, they have

    >been
    >> running for 2 years with no problems. During the first backup using 8.5

    >all
    >> 5 returned errors that the information store was unavailable and all 5
    >> returned 1018 errors in the event log with corrupted databases. How can

    >all
    >> 5 have hardware errors? I plan on running eseutil after I get the users
    >> moved off but why did they all corrupt at the same time?

+ Reply to Thread