Administrative shares (drive$) - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Administrative shares (drive$) - Veritas Backup Exec ; This problem isn't caused by BE but by the lack of knowledge of our IT department in correcting a Administrative Share problem. We have 9 servers all using BE for NT. When rebooting 7 of the servers keep their administrative ...

  1. Administrative shares (drive$)

    This problem isn't caused by BE but by the lack of knowledge of our IT department
    in correcting a Administrative Share problem. We have 9 servers all using
    BE for NT. When rebooting 7 of the servers keep their administrative shares
    (C4, D$, etc.) Two servers don't and I have to reassign the administrative
    share for each drive on the box (C$, D$, etc). This is a pain but I don't
    know how to fixed (IT hasn't been much help).

    How do I fix the problem?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Administrative shares (drive$)

    Visit http://search.microsoft.com and enter the words:
    recreate admin share
    You'll get eight articles that will help you with this problem from the
    folks who really know quite a bit about Windows networking....

    If they don't work you may need to reinstall (repair) NT on the boxes that
    keep losing their shares...

    good luck

    Joseph Burbine wrote in message

    > This problem isn't caused by BE but by the lack of knowledge of our IT

    department
    > in correcting a Administrative Share problem. We have 9 servers all using
    > BE for NT. When rebooting 7 of the servers keep their administrative

    shares
    > (C4, D$, etc.) Two servers don't and I have to reassign the administrative
    > share for each drive on the box (C$, D$, etc). This is a pain but I don't
    > know how to fixed (IT hasn't been much help).
    >
    > How do I fix the problem?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Administrative shares (drive$)

    Sounds like someone's been messing with the Registry. The docs you find
    from Bill's link should be a big help. But shame on your IT dept. for not
    considering this a high priority. What's more important than you data being
    backed up. Well, being able to restore the data, but backing it up holds a
    close second.

    Jason

    > This problem isn't caused by BE but by the lack of knowledge of our IT

    department
    > in correcting a Administrative Share problem. We have 9 servers all using
    > BE for NT. When rebooting 7 of the servers keep their administrative

    shares
    > (C4, D$, etc.) Two servers don't and I have to reassign the administrative
    > share for each drive on the box (C$, D$, etc). This is a pain but I don't
    > know how to fixed (IT hasn't been much help).
    >
    > How do I fix the problem?
    >
    > Thanks

  4. Re: Administrative shares (drive$)

    On the machines you wish to re-enable default admin shares:

    Start --> Run --> type "poledit" --> Select "File" then "Open Registry".
    Double click "Local Computer". Go to the "Windows NT Network" section and
    expand till you see "Creat hidden drive shares...." and select server and/or
    workstation options. When done, hit "Ok" then "File" and select "Save" and
    exit. Reboot to take effect or just create manually. They'll be there after
    reboots now.

    > This problem isn't caused by BE but by the lack of knowledge of our IT

    department
    > in correcting a Administrative Share problem. We have 9 servers all using
    > BE for NT. When rebooting 7 of the servers keep their administrative

    shares
    > (C4, D$, etc.) Two servers don't and I have to reassign the administrative
    > share for each drive on the box (C$, D$, etc). This is a pain but I don't
    > know how to fixed (IT hasn't been much help).
    >
    > How do I fix the problem?
    >
    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread