Bad Media when trying to restore using different tape drive - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Bad Media when trying to restore using different tape drive - Veritas Backup Exec ; I keep getting "bad media" when trying to inventory any tape that was backed up from a different drive - same model number though. the backup was done from the same version of Backup Exec. BackupExec Version 8.5 Rev. 3571 ...

  1. Bad Media when trying to restore using different tape drive

    I keep getting "bad media" when trying to inventory any tape that was backed
    up from a different drive - same model number though. the backup was done
    from the same version of Backup Exec.

    BackupExec Version 8.5 Rev. 3571
    Cybernetics CY-8000 Tape Drive

    Someone mentioned that it may be a problem with restoring from a different
    tape drive. Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Clay
    clayc21@hotmail.com

  2. Re: Bad Media when trying to restore using different tape drive

    Is the original tape drive still available to try a restore?

    Was hardware compression used for the backup? I got burned with hardware
    compression and DLT7000 drives one time. Compaq DLT7000 was replaced under
    warrantee, and was several steps newer in firmware, and would not read tapes
    created on the "identical" drive that was replaced.

    That's why I recommend software comporession, tho I've heard that DDS hardware
    cmpression is a standard and shouldn't be a problem.

    Clay wrote:

    > I keep getting "bad media" when trying to inventory any tape that was backed
    > up from a different drive - same model number though. the backup was done
    > from the same version of Backup Exec.
    >
    > BackupExec Version 8.5 Rev. 3571
    > Cybernetics CY-8000 Tape Drive
    >
    > Someone mentioned that it may be a problem with restoring from a different
    > tape drive. Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Clay
    > clayc21@hotmail.com

  3. Re: Bad Media when trying to restore using different tape drive

    I am having the same problem!

    I backup my Oracle server from a Compaq DLT drive on Server1, but when I
    try to restore to a different server via Quantum DLT (a bit older than the
    Compaq), I consistently receive a Bad Media message.

    Any ideas how to fix this?

    Thanks in advance

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Is the original tape drive still available to try a restore?
    >
    >Was hardware compression used for the backup? I got burned with hardware
    >compression and DLT7000 drives one time. Compaq DLT7000 was replaced under
    >warrantee, and was several steps newer in firmware, and would not read tapes
    >created on the "identical" drive that was replaced.
    >
    >That's why I recommend software comporession, tho I've heard that DDS hardware
    >cmpression is a standard and shouldn't be a problem.
    >
    >Clay wrote:
    >
    >> I keep getting "bad media" when trying to inventory any tape that was

    backed
    >> up from a different drive - same model number though. the backup was

    done
    >> from the same version of Backup Exec.
    >>
    >> BackupExec Version 8.5 Rev. 3571
    >> Cybernetics CY-8000 Tape Drive
    >>
    >> Someone mentioned that it may be a problem with restoring from a different
    >> tape drive. Anyone have any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Clay
    >> clayc21@hotmail.com

  4. Re: Bad Media when trying to restore using different tape drive

    If you used hardware compression on the backup, I'm afraid that you are SOL
    at this point, unless you can use the original tape device, or a similar
    one, and re-direct the restore

    "Peter Vasile" wrote:

    >I am having the same problem!
    >
    >I backup my Oracle server from a Compaq DLT drive on Server1, but when I
    >try to restore to a different server via Quantum DLT (a bit older than the
    >Compaq), I consistently receive a Bad Media message.
    >
    >Any ideas how to fix this?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>Is the original tape drive still available to try a restore?
    >>
    >>Was hardware compression used for the backup? I got burned with hardware
    >>compression and DLT7000 drives one time. Compaq DLT7000 was replaced under
    >>warrantee, and was several steps newer in firmware, and would not read

    tapes
    >>created on the "identical" drive that was replaced.
    >>
    >>That's why I recommend software comporession, tho I've heard that DDS hardware
    >>cmpression is a standard and shouldn't be a problem.
    >>
    >>Clay wrote:
    >>
    >>> I keep getting "bad media" when trying to inventory any tape that was

    >backed
    >>> up from a different drive - same model number though. the backup was

    >done
    >>> from the same version of Backup Exec.
    >>>
    >>> BackupExec Version 8.5 Rev. 3571
    >>> Cybernetics CY-8000 Tape Drive
    >>>
    >>> Someone mentioned that it may be a problem with restoring from a different
    >>> tape drive. Anyone have any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Clay
    >>> clayc21@hotmail.com