Remote Agent Fails to Start - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote Agent Fails to Start - Veritas Backup Exec ; Help Please. I have two Win2K SP1 Servers, one the backup Server running BackupExec v8.5. I installed the remote backup agent on the other server, the installation ran OK. But when rebooted the service fails to start giving an "Error ...

  1. Remote Agent Fails to Start

    Help Please.

    I have two Win2K SP1 Servers, one the backup Server running BackupExec v8.5.
    I installed the remote backup agent on the other server, the installation
    ran OK. But when rebooted the service fails to start giving an "Error 2 The
    system cannot find the file specified". Any ideas? I have checked the service
    has the "log on as a service" right.

    Cheers.

    Jason

  2. Re: Remote Agent Fails to Start

    There should be a directory "c:\bentaa" which should contain the service code
    file (c:\bentaa\beremote.exe).
    You can reinstall the Remote Agent from Veritas BackupExec CDROM by running
    x:\winnt\install\eng\i386\ntaa\setupaa.cmd (x: or whatever is your CDROM
    Drive letter).
    Hope this helps.

    "Jason Tollervey" wrote:

    >Help Please.
    >
    >I have two Win2K SP1 Servers, one the backup Server running BackupExec

    v8.5.
    >I installed the remote backup agent on the other server, the installation
    >ran OK. But when rebooted the service fails to start giving an "Error 2

    The
    >system cannot find the file specified". Any ideas? I have checked the service
    >has the "log on as a service" right.
    >
    >Cheers.
    >
    >Jason

  3. Re: Remote Agent Fails to Start

    I have the same problem and tried the following tasks without any success:
    - Deinstallation of Remote Agent
    - Update Backupserver from 8.5 Build 3571 to Build 3572
    - new Installation of Remote Agent

    my configuration:
    Backupserver: Win2k (german) (with Exchange 5.5)
    Problem-Server: Win2k (german)
    Third-Server: Win2k Sp1 (german) (with SQL2k) RemoteAgent works without any
    problems

    Thank you for response.
    Uwe Ring

    "Jason Tollervey" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Help Please.
    >
    > I have two Win2K SP1 Servers, one the backup Server running BackupExec

    v8.5.
    > I installed the remote backup agent on the other server, the installation
    > ran OK. But when rebooted the service fails to start giving an "Error 2

    The
    > system cannot find the file specified". Any ideas? I have checked the

    service
    > has the "log on as a service" right.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Jason

  4. Re: Remote Agent Fails to Start

    This is what I got from tech support, and it actually worked!

    Before following the below steps, please make sure to make a backup of your
    registry. Follow these step only if the Remote Agent is installed on a
    Windows 2000 platform.

    On the server where the Agent Accelerator (Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000
    v8.0)/Remote Agent (Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000 v8.5) is installed
    locate the registry key:

    "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\WinSock\Parameters\Tr
    ansports"

    If there is a reference to the Appletalk protocol and it is not installed
    on
    the system, then remove this entry and reboot the server. The Agent
    Accelerator/Remote Agent service should start and the remote server can be
    backed up.

    Good luck.

    "Jason Tollervey" wrote:

    >Help Please.
    >
    >I have two Win2K SP1 Servers, one the backup Server running BackupExec

    v8.5.
    >I installed the remote backup agent on the other server, the installation
    >ran OK. But when rebooted the service fails to start giving an "Error 2

    The
    >system cannot find the file specified". Any ideas? I have checked the service
    >has the "log on as a service" right.
    >
    >Cheers.
    >
    >Jason

  5. Re: Remote Agent Fails to Start

    Why don't they post this stuff on thier support site???
    This worked great!!
    Thanks for sharing Gregg

    Kevin

    "Gregg Nelson" wrote:

    >This is what I got from tech support, and it actually worked!
    >
    >Before following the below steps, please make sure to make a backup of your
    >registry. Follow these step only if the Remote Agent is installed on a
    >Windows 2000 platform.
    >
    >On the server where the Agent Accelerator (Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000
    >v8.0)/Remote Agent (Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000 v8.5) is installed
    >locate the registry key:
    >
    >"\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\WinSock\Parameters\Tr
    >ansports"
    >
    >If there is a reference to the Appletalk protocol and it is not installed
    >on
    >the system, then remove this entry and reboot the server. The Agent
    >Accelerator/Remote Agent service should start and the remote server can

    be
    >backed up.
    >
    >Good luck.
    >

    >"Jason Tollervey" wrote:
    >>
    >>Help Please.
    >>
    >>I have two Win2K SP1 Servers, one the backup Server running BackupExec

    >v8.5.
    >>I installed the remote backup agent on the other server, the installation
    >>ran OK. But when rebooted the service fails to start giving an "Error 2

    >The
    >>system cannot find the file specified". Any ideas? I have checked the service
    >>has the "log on as a service" right.
    >>
    >>Cheers.
    >>
    >>Jason

+ Reply to Thread