HP Ultrium 230 & Disaster Recovery - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on HP Ultrium 230 & Disaster Recovery - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi All, 1.Which is best/better suitable product..out of autoloader and ultrium .just want your recommendations based on your experience.. 2. I have Veritas BackupExec 8.5 with IDR option.. if we go for ultrium and if the exchange server crashes or ...

  1. HP Ultrium 230 & Disaster Recovery

    Hi All,

    1.Which is best/better suitable product..out of autoloader and ultrium .just
    want your recommendations based on your
    experience..

    2. I have Veritas BackupExec 8.5 with IDR option.. if we go for ultrium and
    if the exchange server crashes or any other server crashes then how does
    recovery takes place..
    (since in case of DLT there are different dlts for different NT servers here
    there is only one ultrium dlt.

    Thanks
    Kiran S

  2. Re: HP Ultrium 230 & Disaster Recovery

    Hello Kiran,

    To answer you questions:-

    > 1.Which is best/better suitable product..out of autoloader and ultrium

    ..just
    > want your recommendations based on your
    > experience..

    It depends on whether your data will fit on one Ultrium cartridge or not.
    You will get 100GB uncompressed, but you cannot guarantee the compression
    ratio. You might get 2:1, or more, but some people get less. You would have
    to try it. Does your current tape usage give you any clues.? We have a
    number of servers with 10x18GB Raid 5 data arrays, which give us 160GB of
    usable data space. We know that we can get 3:1 compression on some of the
    databases, because they contain a lot of blank records. They are Oracle
    Express 3 Dimensional databases. We were pretty sure that we could backup
    the whole of one array to one Ultrium cartridge. So we went for Ultrium
    because it was much faster. Using our old 20/40GB DLT devices, it would have
    taken 12 hours to backup that much data. Ultrium would do it in less than
    2 - or so we thought. I have to say at this point that we have 24x7 computer
    operators, so that changing tapes is not a problem, but the size of the
    backup window is. As it turned out, we achieved the quoted native
    (uncompressed) throughput of 54GB/hour (15MB/sec), but we only got 60GB/hour
    when we used compression. Since the tape operates at advertised levels when
    writing uncompressed data, I think we have got to look at whether the data
    is being supplied to the tape fast enough to drive at maximum throughput
    when compression is on. We have tried both hardware and software compression
    and get the best throughput with software compression. I have also tried
    tinkering with the buffers in BE and have them set to max on size and
    number. Again this improves things, but not much. We have the recommended
    Adaptec 29160 SCSI card. It could be down to disks, SCSI bus, processor or
    memory. Still 60GB/hour isn't bad. We'll get our backups done in 3 hours.
    And restores will be faster.

    > 2. I have Veritas BackupExec 8.5 with IDR option.. if we go for ultrium

    and
    > if the exchange server crashes or any other server crashes then how does
    > recovery takes place..
    > (since in case of DLT there are different dlts for different NT servers

    here
    > there is only one ultrium dlt.

    We have finished testing IDR using CD, HP SureStore Ultrium 230e and
    Veritas driver (halfinch.sys). We had no problems, it worked perfectly. If
    you are using one Ultrium tape for a number of servers, you would have to
    skip through the tape until you've got the saveset you want. I've never
    tried that, and I'm not sure how you would identify the correct set.

    In my opinion, as data volumes increase, but the hours in the day don't,
    there is a need for high-speed, high-capacity backup devices and media. If
    you have a server (or servers) with a lot of disk space then locally
    connected Ultrium devices rather than DLT autoloaders are the way to go,
    purely on speed. Even if you can't fit all your data on to one tape, there
    are Ultrium autoloaders available. Check out Veritas' compatibilty list.
    Let's face it, if you can't fit all your data on to a 100/200GB cartridge,
    how much have you got and how long does it take to backup?

    However, I'm not so sure about using one Ultrium to backup a number of
    servers, presumably across a network. If it is across a network, then the
    main advantage of the Ultrium, speed, is lost,
    In that situation, I would stick to the autoloader and have one tape per
    server. That makes recovery much easier.

    Hope that helps

    Ken McNulty

    > Kiran S

+ Reply to Thread